Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   AFM...Auto/Manual...On or Off? (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280899)

Stingray 04-09-2013 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Under AFM column, it reads as.... "AFM is utilized or disabled at the driver's discretion." :popcorn:

bolteon593 04-09-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR-Vette (Post 6255270)
The same E92 or E95 PCM that will be used in the C7 has been used in Europe for over 2 years now and no one has been able to crack it

It is not as easy as someone ripped off GM's security seed as the E38,E40 E67 or even older 0411 PCMs

It now requires the PCM to act like a node client and pass security to a remote GM server for controller software updates and all this about how easy and how everyone is going to just start throwing mods at C7 it are in for a rude surprise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ec1990 (Post 6256487)
I believe he's talking about manual transmission. LS3 doesn't have AFM/DoD, the LT1 is the first to apply it to manual transmissions.

I could see it being difficult, does it turn off during a gear switch or rev match? Does it only turn off on downshifts, not upshifts, etc...

the man speaks the truth!

you guys are going to be rather surprised when no one mods anything on this car for the duration of it's life cycle.

Stingray 04-27-2013 09:57 AM

AFM... user controlled. :thumb: :stingray:

"AFM is easily deactivated. It only works when you select Eco mode. When the auto is in manual mode it doesn't work either. AFM only activates at very low throttle and is hardly noticeable."
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...psba89ab99.jpg

shockandawe 04-29-2013 06:15 PM

I own a Silverado with AFM and it causes the truck to burn oil. The inactive cylinders carbon up. AFM is nothing but garbage.

Stingray 04-29-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shockandawe (Post 6484549)
I own a Silverado with AFM and it causes the truck to burn oil. The inactive cylinders carbon up. AFM is nothing but garbage.

Range V8 will solve that. I use it on my stock SS. :thumb:

90503 04-30-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray (Post 6475827)
AFM... user controlled. :thumb: :stingray:

"AFM is easily deactivated. It only works when you select Eco mode. When the auto is in manual mode it doesn't work either. AFM only activates at very low throttle and is hardly noticeable."
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...psba89ab99.jpg

Not sure what to make of the chart....Looking at AFM across the board, yes, there is an ECO mode...but NORMAL in the other columns doesn't strike me as OFF....Not saying you're wrong, just some of the terminology is a little confusing...

Stingray 04-30-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6487253)
Not sure what to make of the chart....Looking at AFM across the board, yes, there is an ECO mode...but NORMAL in the other columns doesn't strike me as OFF....Not saying you're wrong, just some of the terminology is a little confusing...

I see, it can be interpreted that way... according to the Bash attendees, after questioning- Normal indicates full-time 8 cyl-mode while Eco indicates afm mode therefore alternating between 4-cyl or 8-cyl mode depending on load, conditions, etc... To quote: "And....it doesn't default to ECONO MODE...DOES NOT! you can essentially turn off afm and never hear from it again! The word I got was that the car defaults to touring mode, which doesn't use AFM. You need to choose to use the afm."

So we'll see!

FenwickHockey65 04-30-2013 11:12 AM

So basically as long as you stay out of Eco mode you pretty much don't have AFM.

90503 04-30-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray (Post 6487359)
I see, it can be interpreted that way... according to the Bash attendees, after questioning- Normal indicates full-time 8 cyl-mode while Eco indicates afm mode therefore alternating between 4-cyl or 8-cyl mode depending on load, conditions, etc... To quote: "And....it doesn't default to ECONO MODE...DOES NOT! you can essentially turn off afm and never hear from it again! The word I got was that the car defaults to touring mode, which doesn't use AFM. You need to choose to use the afm."

So we'll see!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6487381)
So basically as long as you stay out of Eco mode you pretty much don't have AFM.

Thanks for the replies....As I'm not that familiar with 'Vettes, just curious..if you don't mind...Are these "Modes" something Vette has always had?....Are they new/different due to the LT-1?...

And...Fen, any chance we will see these AFM options/modes similar in the 6thGen Camaros?...Thanks....

FenwickHockey65 04-30-2013 11:51 AM

It's possible. I really don't know much about the 6th gen at this point.

Corvette's always had drive modes but this is probably the most sophisticated system so far.

Apex Motorsports 05-04-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bolteon593 (Post 6403179)
you guys are going to be rather surprised when no one mods anything on this car for the duration of it's life cycle.

:laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray (Post 6484679)
Range V8 will solve that. I use it on my stock SS. :thumb:

This.

volsfan0911 05-05-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6487590)
It's possible. I really don't know much about the 6th gen at this point.

Corvette's always had drive modes but this is probably the most sophisticated system so far.

this is really the first application of the Driver Mode Select (GM's version of a maniettino - go look at a picture of the steering wheel from a current Ferrari and you'll see the knob). It adjusts the parameters listed in that matrix above depending on what mode you've selected. From info given out at the Bash, AFM will only be applied during cruising/coasting in Tour, not active at all in Sport or Track. Eco will aggressively engage AFM unless you are "aggressively accelerating". So, bottom line is if you stay out of wimp mode then you shouldn't have to deal with AFM much at all - or even avoid totally with Sport/Track modes. CAGS will be active and Bash attendees said that the engineers hate it, only included it again because it's mandated by EPA regs. The programming should be very similar to the C6 so even moderately aggressive driving will override it. I'm not worried about it because I'd expect an aftermarket elimination system almost immediately.

There's also conflicting information because the matrix shows that Launch Control is only active in Track Mode. The Stingray website indicates that Launch Control and PTM are active in both Sport and Track. Hopefully GM copied Audi Drive Select and you'll be able to adjust parameters within each mode to your preference?

GQ4Life 05-05-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6487253)

I am with you.. say normal all modes.. eco means to mean comes on early and at more throttle..
that brochure that says user turn off might be old..
i know in camaro automatic it is de-activable but takes an SCT tuner to turn it off.. :iono: so maybe thats what they meant.. :pound:

Stingray 05-05-2013 05:09 PM

Guys.... AFM is off during the "Normal" modes. This has been repeatedly reiterated over & over at the Bash event.