The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-10-2023, 06:30 AM   #1
HartfordRacingCaptain

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2023 Colorado Z71
2024 Ford Ranger

Looks like embargo lifted an hour ago: https://www.ford.com/trucks/ranger/2024/

THREE different shades of gray. A little silly if you ask me. They do have a class-first sliding power rear window though, which Colorado doesnt have. TTV6 option available on XLT and Lariat as well. No locking rear diff.

Car & Driver says there will be only CCSB. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...ptor-revealed/

Overall, 100% happy with my Colorado order. If it would friggin get here….

HartfordRacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 06:47 AM   #2
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
I'm surprised they didn't electrify it like the Maverick. It looks competitive otherwise. No LB tells me Ford has the same data GM's bean counters did, wasn't worth the expense despite the 10s of internet warriors clamoring for it. Boring exterior. Interior is a big upgrade from current. I like the 10sp trans but no MT like the Tacoma about to be introduced. Where did they get the idea for the bumper step? Genius!

3.0 is Raptor only but . Cross your fingers this forces GM to bring the 6.2 to a top trim ZR2-R if you will.

2.3L I4 Turbo 270 hp 310 lb-ft
2.7L V6 TT 315 hp 400 lb-ft
3.0L V6 TT 405 hp 430 lb-ft

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 06:58 AM   #3
HartfordRacingCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I'm surprised they didn't electrify it like the Maverick. It looks competitive otherwise. No LB tells me Ford has the same data GM's bean counters did, wasn't worth the expense despite the 10s of internet warriors clamoring for it. Boring exterior. Interior is a big upgrade from current. I like the 10sp trans but not MT like the Tacoma about to be introduced. Where did they get the idea for the bumper step? Genius!

3.0 is Raptor only but . Cross your fingers this forces GM to bring the 6.2 to a top trim ZR2-R if you will.

2.3L I4 Turbo 270 hp 310 lb-ft
2.7L V6 TT 315 hp 400 lb-ft
3.0L V6 TT 405 hp 430 lb-ft
Looks like they followed suit with a hood prop rod instead of real struts too haha.

I love competition, and was planning on waiting for the Ranger reveal until my Camry unexpectedly died last year, but now that it is revealed what do you think makes it competitive? It seems to me it is dead last for looks, and other than offering a V6 (with almost identical performance values to the Colorado’s 4cyl) and 10 speed, doesnt seem to have much noteworthy offerings.

Ranger’s rear seats fold though haha.

Last edited by HartfordRacingCaptain; 05-10-2023 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-10-2023, 07:16 AM   #4
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartfordRacingCaptain View Post
Looks like they followed suit with a hood prop rod instead of real struts too haha.

I love competition, and was planning on waiting for the Ranger reveal until my Camry unexpectedly died last year, but now that it is revealed what do you think makes it competitive? It seems to me it is dead last for looks, and other than offering a V6 (with almost identical performance values to the Colorado’s 4cyl) and 10 speed, doesnt seem to have much noteworthy offerings.

Ranger’s rear seats fold though haha.
Well, i'd say competitive, from a powertrain/tech/interior design standpoint compared to the twins. I don't see anything here that would sway my purchase given my GM bias. It's competitive, not class leading. The fact that GM stuck with the same exact 2nd gen rear window assembly including the manual rear window sucks (reeks of old GM) when everyone else will be offering power. Not a huge deal. Agreed the exterior is dead last. They at least matched what GM is doing w/their engine lineup and exceeded it on the top end. I think this will please Ford fans but might not win anyone else over.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 05-10-2023, 07:35 AM   #5
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I never want to hear people complaining about GM's exterior paint offerings after this.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:00 AM   #6
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I never want to hear people complaining about GM's exterior paint offerings after this.
Why is everyone doing this?!

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 05-10-2023, 08:04 AM   #7
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
I love to rag on Ford but GM isn't much better.

Slate Gray( thunderstorm for GMC)
Sterling Gray Sterling for GMC)
Dark Ash ( Titanium Rush for GMC)

are tall various shades of gray in the HD and 1500. Its what sells. Look at all they HGTV shows lol.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 08:31 AM   #8
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Well...wins for Ford that I can see is a more powerful 3.0 TT V6 in their top dawg offroad model, rear seats that fold down, power rear sliding glass, a "Sport" driving mode....uhh...not sure what else. The 2.7 TT V6 in their higher trims is nice, and I'm sure it offers more tuning potential (if you are into that) than GM's 2.7, but it doesn't make more power than the GM 2.7 Turbo 4. OK...it does makes 5 more HP but 30lbs torque less. I will say, that I've read the Ford 2.7 V6 does feel pretty lively in the F150, so there's that.

Overall, I don't like the way it looks. The Colorado, the Canyon, and from the little we've seen of the Tacoma....they all look MUCH better to me than this new Ranger. Interior...well I feel the same way. (haven't seen the Tacoma interior yet). It just looks forgetful. Not bad, not good either...just blah.

Also...no long bed.

I was really hoping to see more changes to differentiate the U.S. spec model over the global Ranger.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:35 AM   #9
HartfordRacingCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluinSC View Post
I love to rag on Ford but GM isn't much better.

Slate Gray( thunderstorm for GMC)
Sterling Gray Sterling for GMC)
Dark Ash ( Titanium Rush for GMC)

are tall various shades of gray in the HD and 1500. Its what sells. Look at all they HGTV shows lol.
How is GM not clearly better? Colorado/Canyon, the direct Ranger competitor, have 1 silver option and that is it. 8 distinctive colors. Certainly not 3 shades of gray like Ranger. 1/2 ton+ is irrelevant.

Old 05-10-2023, 08:40 AM   #10
HartfordRacingCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Well...wins for Ford that I can see is a more powerful 3.0 TT V6 in their top dawg offroad model, rear seats that fold down, power rear sliding glass, a "Sport" driving mode....uhh...not sure what else. The 2.7 TT V6 in their higher trims is nice, and I'm sure it offers more tuning potential (if you are into that) than GM's 2.7, but it doesn't make more power than the GM 2.7 Turbo 4. OK...it does makes 5 more HP but 30lbs torque less. I will say, that I've read the Ford 2.7 V6 does feel pretty lively in the F150, so there's that.

Overall, I don't like the way it looks. The Colorado, the Canyon, and from the little we've seen of the Tacoma....they all look MUCH better to me than this new Ranger. Interior...well I feel the same way. (haven't seen the Tacoma interior yet). It just looks forgetful. Not bad, not good either...just blah.

Also...no long bed.

I was really hoping to see more changes to differentiate the U.S. spec model over the global Ranger.
Sure Raptor has an engine with 95hp more than ZR2, which is fantastic, but a $10k bigger price tag.

Old 05-10-2023, 08:56 AM   #11
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartfordRacingCaptain View Post
Sure Raptor has an engine with 95hp more than ZR2, which is fantastic, but a $10k bigger price tag.
The base ZR2, yes, but the Desert Boss or AT4X would be in the Raptor price range I think and down on power.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 05-10-2023, 09:08 AM   #12
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
It's ok, doesn't really move the needle for me. Dare I say I think the GM twins easily win the looks contest exterior wise.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 09:33 AM   #13
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
I imagine that they're not rolling it out with all this gen's bells and whistles done and done.

The "missing" TREMOR" option stands out, which just tells me were going to see more introduced over the next couple years. That including the reintroduction of Tremor and a possible/likely hybrid/PowerBoost option to keep the interest rate up as the years go by.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:36 AM   #14
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
At least all of GM’s cost cutting measures actually show up in the ZR2. A $12k difference in sticker is pretty substantial but I would give some of that difference up for the 10 speed over the 8 speed or the 6.2 over the 2.7.