The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-20-2023, 02:54 AM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Not the Camaro, but I WAS left unsupervised!

My wife stayed at her sister's house this past week to help care for her, because she broke her arm up near the shoulder joint in a bike accident. She's doing OK, just in a lot of pain and waiting to see if she will need surgery.

Anyway, the Camaro is in the shop, so my wife left me her 2013 Escape in case I needed to take the kids anywhere. Well, it was DIRTY. And I'm both retired now and an obsessive detailer. To make matters worse, when I dropped my wife at her sister's, I became UNSUPERVISED - so you can guess what happened.

I detailed the living hell out of her car. I gave up the quest for speed and perfection, because I detail to RELAX. Trying to get perfection, quickly was stressing me out. So I decided to slow things down (a lot) and FOCUS on what I was doing more closely. The result was that the QUALITY of my work went WAY UP!

I decided to make an "After" video of my wife's car (including talking through it with some explanations & products used), but being my first ever video, you can tell I was a bit nervous (so be gentle LOL).

I'm probably not too clear in the video, but the results are ALL Turtle Wax products *except for the car wash and glass cleaner - because I have a bunch left, but I will switch over once I run out of those.*

The car was machine polished with Hybrid Solutions 1 & Done Compound, then machine "waxed" with the To The Max Graphene Liquid Wax, and the tires coated with the Graphene/Acrylic Tire Shine. 12 hours later, I put a coat of Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating on the car (including the exterior glass). Then 24 hours later, the car was washed again (thanks Mother Nature for all the pollen) and a 2nd coat of Ceramic Spray was put on the car and a 2nd coating of G/A Tire shine was applied. The car was vacuumed and the interior plastics deep cleaned along with the interior glass.

So what do you think (the video is only about 6 minutes long).

4 Days and 20+ hours later...
Old 05-20-2023, 06:43 AM   #2
ZL1_Chris
ZL1_Chris

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
My wife stayed at her sister's house this past week to help care for her, because she broke her arm up near the shoulder joint in a bike accident. She's doing OK, just in a lot of pain and waiting to see if she will need surgery.

Anyway, the Camaro is in the shop, so my wife left me her 2013 Escape in case I needed to take the kids anywhere. Well, it was DIRTY. And I'm both retired now and an obsessive detailer. To make matters worse, when I dropped my wife at her sister's, I became UNSUPERVISED - so you can guess what happened.

I detailed the living hell out of her car. I gave up the quest for speed and perfection, because I detail to RELAX. Trying to get perfection, quickly was stressing me out. So I decided to slow things down (a lot) and FOCUS on what I was doing more closely. The result was that the QUALITY of my work went WAY UP!

I decided to make an "After" video of my wife's car (including talking through it with some explanations & products used), but being my first ever video, you can tell I was a bit nervous (so be gentle LOL).

I'm probably not too clear in the video, but the results are ALL Turtle Wax products *except for the car wash and glass cleaner - because I have a bunch left, but I will switch over once I run out of those.*

The car was machine polished with Hybrid Solutions 1 & Done Compound, then machine "waxed" with the To The Max Graphene Liquid Wax, and the tires coated with the Graphene/Acrylic Tire Shine. 12 hours later, I put a coat of Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating on the car (including the exterior glass). Then 24 hours later, the car was washed again (thanks Mother Nature for all the pollen) and a 2nd coat of Ceramic Spray was put on the car and a 2nd coating of G/A Tire shine was applied. The car was vacuumed and the interior plastics deep cleaned along with the interior glass.

So what do you think (the video is only about 6 minutes long).

4 Days and 20+ hours later...
Looks good. Any chance you're still bored, I could use mine gone through
ZL1_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 07:59 AM   #3
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1_Chris View Post
Looks good. Any chance you're still bored, I could use mine gone through
Thanks for the compliment. With me being in Ohio and you being in Florida, you'd be hurting if I charged for travel time
Old 05-20-2023, 10:37 AM   #4
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Haha I have done this with my wife’s minivan. It’s always a pig sty and she never washes it. I spent about 6 hours buffing and laying and doing the interior. Afterwards she was like I feel like it’s a rental car lol.

I don’t even keep anything in my trunk or glovebox in my car other than a few napkins lol. I hate dirty cars
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 02:03 PM   #5
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Haha I have done this with my wife’s minivan. It’s always a pig sty and she never washes it. I spent about 6 hours buffing and laying and doing the interior. Afterwards she was like I feel like it’s a rental car lol.

I don’t even keep anything in my trunk or glovebox in my car other than a few napkins lol. I hate dirty cars
This is the FIRST car my wife has owned that I've been WILLING to take care of (other then the Fiero she owned when we 1st met). The rest of the "family cars" we've had, haven't really been 'detail worthy.' Her last car was a hand-me-down, tan, 2003 Ford Explorer that was rusty as all get out and had a LOT of that plastic trim that loved to collect wax and NEVER let go. Plus it was HUGE, and "dislike" detailing things that big (I DETEST needing to use a ladder to wash/wax a car).
This one is (for an SUV, fairly small) and is a color that really looks good after it's finished - the Explorer was just a light tan (blah). Ladder work on the Escape is minimal and it takes a similar amount of time as it does to detail my Camaro - which I CAN'T WAIT for it to be out of the shop. It NEEDS a full detail like the one I did to the Escape, BAD.