Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #29
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
You can ballpark it using the data from the runs and D/A for the track that day/time. Again I would not expect your depth of knowledge to go that far. I trust Gbusy06 would post his results with integrity.

If you don't like that answer then PM Jannetty. They have tested most CAI's out there including the Vararam. I am positive Ted would be happy to set the record straight.

BTW - Vararam declined to participate in their last CAI testing. What does that tell you?
The irony is your will to accept a 'ballpark' figure using metrics that have variables that could wildly vary the margin that your debating. I'm sorry you fail to 'get it', but that's what I'm finding humorous. The value of your 'guesses' holds little to no value for anyone.

Finally, I don't need any results to be posted...I have the unit on my car and I am aware of the results (however marginal) every time I drive the car. I watched Teds threads, and I was disappointed that Steve/Patrick did not send a unit in for the test. However, having been aware of Teds blatant biased regarding OTR (or ram air) CAIs, as a manufacturer and marketer of a product I probably would not have sent my unit in for the testing either.

Obviously Vararam has dealt with some significant issues while bringing this product to market. For those that are considering the Vararam as an option, the valuable input is going to come from those owners who have or have had various iterations of the product. What is INFINITELY amusing to me is those folks that spend an inordinate amount of time contesting the performance of the product yet have never spent any time evaluating, driving, or tuning a car with the unit installed.

For those considering the Vararam....I'm fairly happy with mine after having the 'spike' added (I had a very early unit). While I still have a little bit of surging, the performance at WOT is better than when I had an LMR intake. My opinion is entirely subjective as I did not care to have the car in for a before/after dyno as it was impractical at the time.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #30
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:

FYI - just read the build post on your car.....where are your track times at? Just a dyno queen? Noticed you did not do any of the motor-work yourself....I see who the pretender is here.....
You can ask the people in Jacksonville if my car is a dyno queen...

And...my signature clearly states who did the work on my car, who's pretending? My car was built for me to enjoy...and my enjoyment is not derived from hitting the drag strip so I can post slips online.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Old 11-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #31
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Not sure where he got his, but Vararam is selling them at cost.
I got mine from VR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I don't understand why we should have to buy a new MAF to get teh intake to work. Is VR offering a MAF exchange?
I didn't understand either. I took out my old MAF, checked it out, and it had a W on it. I went ahead with the MAF from them and yeah...it works. It's plain and simple. It works. Dana felt the surging in the car with the OLD unit. I took her for a couple rides w/out saying anything to see if she noticed and would mention bucking that she might feel which I did not. Nothing. Not even I feel bucking. There is none. Yeah...the car moves. lol...it moves rather well I might add...hehe (I can't tell stories on these boards ... it's against the rules.
Quote:
You can ballpark it using the data from the runs and D/A for the track that day/time. Again I would not expect your depth of knowledge to go that far. I trust Gbusy06 would post his results with integrity.

If you don't like that answer then PM Jannetty. They have tested most CAI's out there including the Vararam. I am positive Ted would be happy to set the record straight.

BTW - Vararam declined to participate in their last CAI testing. What does that tell you?
They didn't have their revised unit ready at the time if their testing. Whether or not they'd send it even if they wanted to is another question.
FYI - just read the build post on your car.....where are your track times at? Just a dyno queen? Noticed you did not do any of the motor-work yourself....I see who the pretender is here.....
Knock it off with the insults if you wish to continue participating on our boards. Personal insults are not tolerated.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #32
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
You just exposed your lack of understanding/interpreting track results....

Where are yours? Not seeing any track times/experience posted from you...

If you followed Ted's testing he also stated that of the CAI's tested, they would all virtually be identical with a tune. It comes down to which one a consumer personally likes.

Nice way to call Ted out on the OTR designs....that is BS. He spoke well of the Vararam unit he tested.

You are quick to call me out for asking valid questions in a polite, non-condescending way and are just making yourself out to be a tool who is trying to justify your decision. You have much to learn.
Regarding Teds opinions...
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...t=myth+ram+air

So...if I was marketing an OTR intake with the name 'RAM' in it, I would not likely send a product in for testing to poster of that article either. It's not 'calling Ted out', it's making an observation.

Your right, I think it's RIDICULOUS for you offer a supposition regarding the difference that a CAI made by only two time slips from two entirely different days. If that represents lack of 'knowledge', well then I guess I was taught incorrectly that proper analysis must include a representative volume of empirical data in order to create a valid observation.

And calling me a 'tool'? Nice. I don't have to justify my purchase to anyone...I'm here to share my real world experience (good and bad) having the Vararam unit installed on my car.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #33
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I got mine from VR.

I didn't understand either. I took out my old MAF, checked it out, and it had a W on it. I went ahead with the MAF from them and yeah...it works. It's plain and simple. It works. Dana felt the surging in the car with the OLD unit. I took her for a couple rides w/out saying anything to see if she noticed and would mention bucking that she might feel which I did not. Nothing. Not even I feel bucking. There is none. Yeah...the car moves. lol...it moves rather well I might add...hehe (I can't tell stories on these boards ... it's against the rules.
I still have a first run unit, albeit with the spike in it. The spike certainly calmed things down, but it's still hard for me to determine what might be a result of the Vararam and what might be resulting from the cam. I'm going to pull the MAF tomorrow and take a look...I would certainly like to get the last little bit of surge out if at all possible.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:04 AM   #34
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
Regarding Teds opinions...
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...t=myth+ram+air

So...if I was marketing an OTR intake with the name 'RAM' in it, I would not likely send a product in for testing to poster of that article either. It's not 'calling Ted out', it's making an observation.

Your right, I think it's RIDICULOUS for you offer a supposition regarding the difference that a CAI made by only two time slips from two entirely different days. If that represents lack of 'knowledge', well then I guess I was taught incorrectly that proper analysis must include a representative volume of empirical data in order to create a valid observation.

And calling me a 'tool'? Nice. I don't have to justify my purchase to anyone...I'm here to share my real world experience (good and bad) having the Vararam unit installed on my car.

Ted actually likes the latest Vararam unit. He said they made a lot of improvements over the previous one they have seen. He doesn't have any bias to the name of a product, if it works he uses it.
NickJRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #35
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
I just recieved my updated version. Too bad Pumpkin is parked til April. I was one of the lucky ones with a weak MAF sensor, Patrick hooked me up with a good one. Can't wait to see results.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #36
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
I will have the new unit on thursday. I will let you know how it works. From everything I have researched, this new unit is dialed in very well. I love the OTR aspect and now they have it working. I'm very confident I will love this unit.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #37
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:

They were having problems getting the unit dialed in. Why would they send in a intake that they knew may have problems. They have discovered that some of the MAF's are the problem AND they have added a honeycomb screen to the unit and now they having a nicely designed unit. Yes, it took awhile, but they got it right.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #38
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had my dynoed with an LMR intake and a Vararam intake. My car was tuned for both intakes by Jeremy Formato (he's knows what he's doing).

After a few pulls both intakes made the SAME RWHP. But Jeremy didn't give up and kept working his magic. He eventually got a little more RWHP out of the Vararam intake (4 RWHP more than the LMR intake)

But to be fair to LRM, Jeremy spent more time tuning my car for the Vararam intake.

I'm hoping to hit the track real soon. I ran 12.5 @ 111 mph with the LMR intake. It will be interesting to see what kind of improvement (if any) I see with the Vararam intake.

But the conclusion is: The Vararam intake makes very similar HP as the other intakes on the market (at least the LRM intake).
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #39
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
But the conclusion is: The Vararam intake makes very similar HP as the other intakes on the market (at least the LRM intake).
And this is key for me. I love the OTR design, it's different than most who are getting the traditional off to the side intake and it makes good numbers.

Tags
mustang dyno, track day, vararam