Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
federal

Drives: 2019 ZL1
ECS/Vortech tuner kit (Novi 1500) install times and fair pricing?

I was just looking for a bit of insight on installation times and prices for people who have had a similar or any other SC setup installed. As the title suggests, I have an ECS/Vortech supercharger kit with the Paxton 1500, if that matters and will be going on a 2018 SS A8.

I’ve reached out to different shops; some of them are quoting up to $1900 just for the installation, all the way down to $1250 for installation. One of the shops whom I favor over the others is saying the installation time is around 13-15 hours which sounds a little long for how uninvolved this kit is.

I’ve seen around that people who DIY the kit had gotten it done in around 8 hours, and even the kit advertises 7-10 hours.

So, for others who have recently gotten an ECS/Vortech supercharger, or any other SC like procharger installed, what was a fair price for the installation and how long was the install?

Last edited by federal; 10-01-2019 at 12:53 PM.
federal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
1500.00 is about the going rate for a supercharger install. I would be more cautious on who you let tune it. That is the make or break factor. Majority of shops out there have no business tuning gen5 stuff just because they can tune gen 3&4 LS.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
As one who has put one on myself - it's not that anything there is really hard to do, it is just a lot of stuff to do. There is a lot of hardware around the end of the frame rails that have to come off in order to get down to a spot in which you put the intercooler in.

ECS has dealers all across the country - they may have someone local who has done one. If they do, they know how to get thru all of the parts that need modified and will probably be able to do it in less time.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:15 AM   #4
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
1500.00 is about the going rate for a supercharger install. I would be more cautious on who you let tune it. That is the make or break factor. Majority of shops out there have no business tuning gen5 stuff just because they can tune gen 3&4 LS.

^^^^^ x 1000. I wasted good money letting an LS tuner who said he can tune the Gen 5 tune my car after the fiasco I had with prochargers canned tune. He had no clue what he was doing. Don't make the same mistake.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:20 AM   #5
SS on the go

Drives: 2018 camaro ss1
ECS supercharger

Has anyone had a bad experience wlth ESC supercharger kit as of late? Recommended by an installer that did alot of work for Lethal garage:also with an ARH headers...is that a good fit for my 2018 ss?? taking all comments thanks

Last edited by SS on the go; 07-12-2020 at 05:44 PM.
SS on the go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:53 AM   #6
federal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS on the go View Post
Has anyone had a bad experience wlth ESC supercharger kit as of late? Recommended by an installer that did alot of work for Lethal garage:also with an ARH headers...is that a good fit for my 2018 ss?? taking all comments thanks
I’ve had it installed installed since November of last year (a month after I made this thread) and it’s been great so far. I haven’t had any issues with it, except one stupid mistake that is partly my fault, partly the dealers fault. They put a regular oil cap on after an oil change instead of my breather, and long story short, it blew the front crankshaft seal. So, make sure you have some crankcase venting. Right now I’m running a Mighty Mouse Wild catch can as I got tired of the oil blowby and smell, and it’s amazing.

Other than that, zero problems. Very easy to maintain and change the oil. No belt slip due to the toothed pully and belt. On stock fueling, I’m making 610rwhp, 560 some tq on almost 9 lbs of boost. I was a little concerned with some heat soaking, so I got the Anderson Composites ZL1 style hood which has really introduced a ton of airflow and very dramatically reduced my IATs.

I say go for it, especially if you can get it for a good deal. I got mine “used” from a member here for $4500 if I recall correctly, and then installation and dyno tuning was $2k.

Edit: The one gripe I have about it would be the “heat shield” below the air filter, which is basically a pretty thin piece of steel. I’m not sure how much it made a difference, or if it was even needed due to the intercooler, but I put some heat reflecting material (same stuff that’s on my carbon fiber hood) on it to stop some of the heat from coming up from the manifold.

Don’t mind the dirty engine bay, but it’s a pretty compact and nice looking setup, IMO!

Last edited by federal; 07-11-2020 at 04:04 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:17 AM   #7
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by federal View Post
Other than that, zero problems. Very easy to maintain and change the oil. No belt slip due to the toothed pully and belt. On stock fueling, I’m making 610rwhp, 560 some tq on almost 9 lbs of boost. I was a little concerned with some heat soaking, so I got the Anderson Composites ZL1 style hood which has really introduced a ton of airflow and very dramatically reduced my IATs.
Your location shows Colorado, is that correct? Because 610 corrected at high altitude is not really 610, which makes a BIG difference when we are talking fuel demands. You say that you have the stock fuel system which is why this question is important. What was the correction factor on your dyno sheet, like 1.15 or ???
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:05 AM   #8
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Your location shows Colorado, is that correct? Because 610 corrected at high altitude is not really 610, which makes a BIG difference when we are talking fuel demands. You say that you have the stock fuel system which is why this question is important. What was the correction factor on your dyno sheet, like 1.15 or ???
Agreed on the fueling. 610 at the wheels is pushing your luck on stock LT1 fuel system.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #9
federal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Yes, Colorado - SAE correction was 1.25. Obviously it will be lower for anyone not at higher altitudes.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:50 PM   #10
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
Curious how much the anderson composites hood actually reduced IATs
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #11
federal

Quote:
Originally Posted by asthmamax11 View Post
Curious how much the anderson composites hood actually reduced IATs
I haven’t logged any readings in the summer, as I put the hood on during the winter but without the hood, it was running around 20-25° above the ambient temperature. With the hood and extra airflow coming in next to the air filter, it dropped it a good 10-12°.

I’d be curious as well how effective it is during this summer heat, but for that, I have no idea.

I’ll take some notes of temps next time I’m out.

Last edited by federal; 07-11-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #12
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
Quote:
I haven’t logged any readings in the summer, as I put the hood on during the winter but without the hood, it was running around 20-25° above the ambient temperature. With the hood and extra airflow coming in next to the air filter, it dropped it a good 10-12°.

I’d be curious as well how effective it is during this summer heat, but for that, I have no idea.

I’ll take some notes of temps next time I’m out.
That's excellent
Anderson should advertise that
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:56 AM   #13
federal

Quote:
Originally Posted by asthmamax11 View Post
That's excellent
Anderson should advertise that
The heat evacuation on it is also pretty awesome. Obviously the stock SS hoods only have those two, small vents on them and are very insufficient... but with the AZ hood, all you see after a few runs is all that heat distortion flowing out.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:28 AM   #14
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Yes, Colorado - SAE correction was 1.25. Obviously it will be lower for anyone not at higher altitudes.
Ok, so the car was actually making 488 rwhp. Therefore it's not a surprise that the stock fuel system was able to keep up. That was my point, when someone mentions how much hp they made with the LT1 fuel system, the actual power is the one that matters, not corrected.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote