The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 07-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
JoshuaKM1

Drives: BMW 535i
Image problem for the C7 with 20/30 year olds?

Hey everyone,

So I'm a long-time BMW enthusiast (currently driving a 535i) and I've spent the month cross-shopping all the top sports cars (new Jaguar F-type, pre-owned Porsche Carrera S, new BMW M3, as well as the "practical" V8 (obviously not a sports car) Range Rover Sport) and I recently drove the new C7 and I was completely blown away. Everything from the high quality interior to the stunning exterior were first rate... and my test drive made my grin from ear to ear.

When I told my friends and family that I was considering the corvette these were some of the reactions that I got:

(1) The corvette is an old man's car... or a desperate mid-life crisis car.
(2) Not nearly in the same league as a Porsche.. and even if it's just as fast on the track it's not nearly as classy. The corvette's design has too many jagged edges and the Porsche has a clean timeless design.
(3) You're not a corvette guy... I can see you more in a Porsche or Range Rover.

At the end of the day it's my decision (and my money - I'm not a trust fund baby - I'm 34 and I work hard for my income) and I'm going to get what I want. I'm just curious if other people on the forum who live in cities populated by Range Rovers and 911s have received similar comments from their friends/family.

I read a blog post about how Corvette is trying to overcome their image problem. I'm sure a lot of enthusiasts could care less about what other people think (I typically don't) - but would love everyone's feedback.

Thanks!

Josh
JoshuaKM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
Who died and left them boss? I wouldn't care what any of my friends say.....drive the C7 and you will be happy to drive it all the time. I have friends that have Porsches, and they cant keep up, and they like the sound of the C7 better........but like I said drive it and forget what people say....they probably don't like the way you cut your hair, and you dress funny............but you like it- right?
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
Your "friends" and family are just jealous.

Get your C7, enjoy it, and when they ask for a ride just tell them, "Sorry, I wouldn't want any of you to be seen riding in an 'old man's car'."

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
JoshuaKM1

ASPTroopa - you definitely don't have to convince me - the car speaks for itself. I've spec-ed out the car with crystal red tintcoat, a carbon fiber roof, and kalahari 3LT interior and I swear it looks like a V12 Ferrari's identical twin. The aesthetics & sheer amount of performance technology for a 65-73k car are nothing short of astonishing. I kept asking my dealer how Chevy was able to do it!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
The way I see it, younger people like yourself who are really impressed with the new Corvette can help with the image by actually stepping up and getting one - and drive it! The more of you who do, the more others will and eventually the image will change. And by getting a Corvette you can show your friends and family first hand just what a great car it is!

There will always be those who cannot be convinced. But it will be your money spent, not theirs. You have to ask yourself which car do you honestly enjoy the most, and go with it. To hell with what anyone else thinks you should drive. Create your own image! Don't conform to someone else's!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I think it's changing....I teach BMW product training to dealerships on a contract training basis for BMW corporate about 6 months a year, and during our sessions I usually tell them I have a BMW and a new Vette. After the session I ALWAYS have several that come up to me afterwards and want to know more about the vette and they are almost always the 20-40 years olds. It holds a great respect with them and they are astounded on the price. They also always comment that it's a departure from old vettes too. Also, like everyone else here, I am met at many gas stations with people with questions, and many of them are younger guys in cars of all types.

the word is getting out....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
regguy1

Drives: 2014 Corvette Coupe
A Corvette is an old mans car.....and they want you to get a Range Rover, go figure that one out
regguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
goldbug

Drives: 2014 Stingray
I got similar comments (I'm 35) until mine actually arrived. Then it was mostly positive comments. When people gave/give me a funny look when they find out I have it, I just tell them I'm having my midlife crisis early so I can enjoy it longer.

Now I just have to get used to the increased attention (both positive and negative).

I also was looking at similar options--specifically the F-Type. While the Jag is absolutely beautiful, it can't come close (IMO) to the whole package of the Stingray, especially at 20+ grand cheaper.
goldbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
noname

Drives: 3LT Z51
I got the same comments when I ordered by C7.

It's very simple to silence them. When you get the C7, have them sit in the passenger side...
and show them how launch control works.

They'll never say anything again.
noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
RottenII

Drives: 2014 C7 1LT Z51
Unless they are paying for the car, who cares what they think. As long as you are happy.
RottenII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
monicatomokc

Drives: 2014 Corvette 2021 Tahoe Z71
Okay, since I fit the mold (65) of what your "friends(?)" are saying to you, I'd just like to say "SO WHAT?!?!" Like most of us are saying here, if you enjoy driving the car, that's all that matters!! I remember when I sold my '66 Chevelle SS396 when I got married in 1971 and the heat I took for that... They were just ignored. Now my "friends" just don't say a word.

And lets not forget this U-Tube video... I don't think she'd agree that this is an "old man's car"!!!

Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
JoshuaKM1

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I predicted the response - after all this is the Corvette enthusiast's forum. Others be damned - #merica!

Seriously though the C7 is an amazing car and can smoke the pants off of any car out there on the road with few exceptions.

My only other questions is for those of you who daily drive the coupe... do you find the hatch space to be large enough for grocery runs, boring daily tasks, etc?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
Fasttoys

Drives: Lotus Evora S
I have owned many Porsche Audi's & BMW M cars. My wife's and I both have a BMW for our daily drivers. I enjoyed the C7. & I sold it 3 weeks ago after 6 months of ownership.. Now I am waiting for my new 2015 Z06. All my friends and family made fun of me when I said I was buying a C7. The Corvette will never have the Rich Notoriety of a Porsche or even a BMW especially since its under the Chevy name plate. IMO its such a BS perception thing. I say get what you want they are a great sports car & finally the interior & seats are closer to their European competition. The only downside the dealer service experience will never be on same level as the higher end brands

Last edited by Fasttoys; 07-28-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1 View Post

My only other questions is for those of you who daily drive the coupe... do you find the hatch space to be large enough for grocery runs, boring daily tasks, etc?
DD here, and I grocery shop for family - more than enuf...look into a partition from exoticvette.com to keep little things from rolling around...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote