The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 06-26-2019, 02:00 PM   #29
Mosaic6SS

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Even my ZL1 has 4 cats! Yeah I can’t imagine what they are teaching now!
The same basic principles of engineering they have always taught. It’s not automotive but engineering is one key component in this field of study.
Mosaic6SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #30
Mosaic6SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
You should delete your thread before everyone else sees what a fool you are
Nothing foolish about asking a question about Camaro in the “Ask the Camaro Team” section. What’s foolish is getting sensitive and upset about a question on a public forum. No I won’t delete anything In fact I will keep answering questions and comments to keep this thread on top In order to help out other non- “Camaro Gods” who have questions.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #31
Mosaic6SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by staples87 View Post
I honestly thought the OP was a troll (still do to a degree).
You thought wrong. What is “still do to a degree” I can’t make sense of that.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:10 PM   #32
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic6SS View Post
The school I went too is not important.

I would like to learn more about the logic behind the setup.
Logic behind the setup is so simple, build 1 exhaust system for all V8 Camaros. CA needs the extra cats so everyone gets them! Not hard to figure out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic6SS View Post
Nothing foolish about asking a question about Camaro in the “Ask the Camaro Team” section. What’s foolish is getting sensitive and upset about a question on a public forum. No I won’t delete anything In fact I will keep answering questions and comments to keep this thread on top In order to help out other non- “Camaro Gods” who have questions.
Asking the question is foolish because it's been asked 5000 times already. Just because you want the answer to change doesn't make it smart to ask again.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #33
Mosaic6SS

Quote:
Logic behind the setup is so simple, build 1 exhaust system for all V8 Camaros. CA needs the extra cats so everyone gets them! Not hard to figure out.

Asking the question is foolish because it's been asked 5000 times already. Just because you want the answer to change doesn't make it smart to ask again.
As stated before, this question was posted for the builders. If you go back and reread you’ll see where there is still confusion on the subject since GM is still saying my vehicle has only two cats. So it’s absolutely smart to find out facts by asking questions. What is foolish is pretending to know everything just because you read it somewhere on a forum. So if it’s been asked 5000 times here is 5001.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:21 PM   #34
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
I was in agreement with you until this comment. There has to be more to the story than that. Catalysts are very expensive. There's no way they created a common exhaust with a very expensive add-on (if it were only needed in 1 of the 50 states they are sold). Also, since the link with the quote from Borla references EPA's involvement, it's probably needed in 50 states.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph

Last edited by vtirocz; 06-26-2019 at 07:12 PM.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:27 AM   #35
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
From https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-...nomy/carb4.htm

Quote:
Currently, 16 other states have either adopted, or are in the process of adopting, California's strict emissions standards. These states include New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, Maryland, Florida, and several others . . .
Just sayin . . .

Norm
Old 06-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #36
Korosion

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
You should delete your thread before everyone else sees what a fool you are
Too late, the OP is a f****** idiot lmaoo
Korosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #37
Mosaic6SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korosion View Post
Too late, the OP is a f****** idiot lmaoo
Haha likewise
Old 06-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #38
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I’m rather impressed with how this thread turned out haha
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:44 PM   #39
Mosaic6SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
I’m rather impressed with how this thread turned out haha
So am I, hopefully we will get enough post to get GM to chime in with official information, and not just useless insults from clowns and boring opinions from wannabes.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:04 PM   #40
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I seriously doubt you will get a reply from GM Mosaic!! And I’m not a clown either with useless insults to you or anyone else on this forum.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:21 AM   #41
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
It took my secondary cats off my car personally. You can see the catalyst “honeycomb” material inside! They are most certainly not resonators.
As long as it's a honeycomb you're seeing and not just a louvered/perforated internal pipe, seems like it'd have to be a converter. That wouldn't prevent it from performing some minimal resonator function, though.

Ryephile's picture doesn't look like there's enough internal volume in those rectangular-ish cans to give much resonator function for half of 6.2L worth of crossplane V8. On closer look, there does appear to be some sheet metal heat shielding. I've only seen that technique used with converters because of the extreme temperatures involved (seen a variety of converters myself, from pellet types to 4" in/4" out, and I've tackwelded a few heat shields back together to stop rattles rather than replace otherwise good shielding).

Norm
Old 06-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #42
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
The evidence seems overwhelming that these are catalytic converters.

1. The heat shields that are bolted on these rear (that sit lower, close to the ground) catalytic converters is a dead giveaway that they are catalysts and not a resonator of some kind.
2. Picture of internals shows the substrate.
3. Based on the post linked above, Borla indicated the EPA got involved in their exhaust setup which changed out the rear catalysts. That's the nail in the coffin (for me) on this one.

How much more evidence do we really need? It takes a long time to the Camaro team to answer these questions so we need to be selective about which questions get asked (hence the voting process). I can't see this one getting selected.

OP: This might be something that you can ask at Camaro Fest if you plan to go. Or another member could ask for you to confirm 110% that these are catalysts.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote