The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2018 Camaro Fest (VIII)

Old 07-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #29
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
I really like how everyone is thinking of ways to make a fun event even better. I loved the stock ZL1 class. It was lots of fun. I wish there had been more participants in it though. I thought we were going to have 8, but only ended with 5 of us. How do we get more stock cars involved and how do we get enough to separate manuals and autos so it makes it more fun for everyone?

I like the idea of index races too. If someone has a car that runs near the top of an index, say 11.7-11.9, they could choose to run in the 12.0 index.

I really only have 2 complaints and 1 of those may be my own fault, I don't know. I was unaware that awards would be given out for anything other than first, so I ended up leaving shortly before the awards presentations. Like I said, that may have been my fault that I missed it, and that I didn't ask anyone about it. I really have to thank Big Dave for texting me before I got too far away and I was able to get back for my 2nd place trophy. Even though I missed my name being called, at least I got my trophy and made the group picture. Very cool trophies by the way!! The other thing has been mentioned by a few others already and that was how hard it was to hear what classes were being called to the staging lanes if you weren't in just the right spot. Do we add some additional speakers for the PA announcements or maybe implement text messaging or some kind of real time status updates along with the current PA system, so it makes it easier to be sure you're not missing anything as a competitor.

Thanks to all involved in putting on this event! Great job!! Hopefully we get some cooler weather next year. It's funny how a week or two prior to the event, it was the perfect temperature, and then just a few days after it, it cools down again. It must be just how hot the Camaro is.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #30
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
The announcements for classes, lanes and once people are there they seem to be waiting for along time before someone figures out who is and who is not there. I think a text alert system would be good but i maintain we need some racers volunteering to help the poor track staff and announcer to keep things moving.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:37 AM   #31
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
The observations I made were similar to many others. My first TNT run, I waited 2 hours 15 minutes to make one run. Some classes started to qualify while I was in line so they basically shut down TNT when I got to the front of the line. The starter had all the qualifiers run and then disappeared into the staging area to pair up cars while the track was idle and empty. I seen an empty track plenty of times while people sat in staging. Many were not happy. Lanes need to be marked better part way down the staging area as well.

It would be good to have some blocks of time for Heads up Grudge/Callout Racing where it was easy to pair up with somebody you want to race in the staging area. The starters were not really facilitating this type of activity. Leaving gaps in line and having cars cutting in to match up didn't go over too well.

I am not a big fan of bracket racing so I did not participate in that. From what I gather I think people just want the ability to be matched up so they have a "Real Race". The classes need to be looked at and probably some rule changes made, mostly what I saw was the SMOD and UNLimited classes need some changes. For example my car fell into the Unlimited class because I had 17" wheels and I am not NA, now if I had 18" wheels I would have been in SMOD. I run mid 11s and the car that won UNL ran high 7s. Not that I would expect to win or place but the same thing happened to way to many people. I think we may need a full blown drag car class too, those older Camaros really did not fit in well racing with Modified 5th & 6th Gens.

I see index racing is being suggested, 10.0, 11.0, 12.0, 13.0 etc. A format like that has pros & cons, what you will quickly find out is a 10.0 second car will run in the 11.0 second class and let off or brake at the end of the run.

I did have a good time but I do hope some things can be improved for next year.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:09 PM   #32
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
I doubt you see a lot of these ideas come to life. I think throwing out ideas could work and maybe something sticks. But I feel people arnt ring realistic sometimes and looking at $$ and who actually controls the track.

Additional hours or night of racing means more money. Are you all going to pay more to get a few runs in? Maybe...but will the majority to make it worth it.

More speakers to hear the pa guy. This would need to be added by the track. Possibly the organizers could have some speakers setup with an additional mic in staging areas to make it work?

Bracket/index racing would work but if you are running 13 sec FI car I’d suggest you practice before fest.

Grudge racing again...this would be hard to actually organize way I’ve seen it laid out on here. What if one person wants to race 8 people? Are you going to be happy watching them hotlap while you sit in the lanes waiting?
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #33
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc615 View Post
I doubt you see a lot of these ideas come to life. I think throwing out ideas could work and maybe something sticks. But I feel people arnt ring realistic sometimes and looking at $$ and who actually controls the track.

We got V6 Unlimited back and that was a success i'd say.

Additional hours or night of racing means more money. Are you all going to pay more to get a few runs in? Maybe...but will the majority to make it worth it.

Having a Friday night 7 to 10 would be awesome actually. Just pure fun TnT Grudge Racing. No qualifying or anything else. Your right extra money but you'd get plenty of people.

More speakers to hear the pa guy. This would need to be added by the track. Possibly the organizers could have some speakers setup with an additional mic in staging areas to make it work?

We'd need to use racer volunteers and while this would affect the overall experience some of us don't mind helping.

Bracket/index racing would work but if you are running 13 sec FI car I’d suggest you practice before fest.

We now have stock FI Camaros that run 13 to 14s bone stock so your FI 13s logic is outdated.

Grudge racing again...this would be hard to actually organize way I’ve seen it laid out on here. What if one person wants to race 8 people? Are you going to be happy watching them hotlap while you sit in the lanes waiting?

Just saying it will take time and a lot of effort but none of what was discussed is impossible.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote