The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #71
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
I think most people in this thread are underestimating the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkVille View Post
Hyundai might be thinking that they can steal customers who want muscle-type specs but without the muscle packaging.
...or people who want a reasonably priced, reasonably sized, decently efficient, RWD car with a manual transmission (and either don't want muscle packaging or don't care). If pricing is competitive, and having not driven either one, then the Camaro's only advantages for some people (me) are that it's prettier and that it carries the "Camaro" name.

If the price is significantly better, it's going to be a tough call. I've wanted a Camaro all my life but I'll take whatever RWD MT efficient fun non-roadster I can afford and be comfortable in. Resale value will be better on the Camaro, so if I'm buying used there will definitely be a gap (and if I'm buying new it won't matter because I won't be selling it until it's nearly worthless anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
lol more reliable than a gm product?

as my good friend AL Borlan would say....

I dont think so tim
I'd put them about equal. 20 years ago they both sucked but Hyundai was far worse. GM has improved, to the point where their reliability is up to par with what consumers expect; Hyundai has improved a lot more, ending up in the same place. They're just having trouble shaking their old reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
Now the people that do their homework will pursue the Camaro, the people that want a convertable will pursue the mustang, and people who believe outdated steriotypes will get the japanese car just because its japanese and rumored to be of higher reliability........
What japanese car are you talking about? Hyundai is Korean, and has a reputation (now inaccurate) as being awfully unreliable.

Quote:
And the dodge dealer will buy his daughter the challenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
But seeing that most of you are already calling this car a ricer because it's Japanese
It's Korean, actually. The picture that was posted with the body kit and such, that's a ricer...stock, it's not. The term "ricer" used to mean anything Japanese (I supposed Korean cars could be called kimchi burners or something), but in this day and age it means cars with stupid body kits and idiotic wings.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #72
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I think most people in this thread are underestimating the competition.

...or people who want a reasonably priced, reasonably sized, decently efficient, RWD car with a manual transmission (and either don't want muscle packaging or don't care). If pricing is competitive, and having not driven either one, then the Camaro's only advantages for some people (me) are that it's prettier and that it carries the "Camaro" name.

If the price is significantly better, it's going to be a tough call. I've wanted a Camaro all my life but I'll take whatever RWD MT efficient fun non-roadster I can afford and be comfortable in. Resale value will be better on the Camaro, so if I'm buying used there will definitely be a gap (and if I'm buying new it won't matter because I won't be selling it until it's nearly worthless anyway).

I'd put them about equal. 20 years ago they both sucked but Hyundai was far worse. GM has improved, to the point where their reliability is up to par with what consumers expect; Hyundai has improved a lot more, ending up in the same place. They're just having trouble shaking their old reputation.

What japanese car are you talking about? Hyundai is Korean, and has a reputation (now inaccurate) as being awfully unreliable.

It's Korean, actually. The picture that was posted with the body kit and such, that's a ricer...stock, it's not. The term "ricer" used to mean anything Japanese (I supposed Korean cars could be called kimchi burners or something), but in this day and age it means cars with stupid body kits and idiotic wings.
the Car i was hinting at the Accord/Civic...

And yes, along with producing maybe the worst cars on earth they have a bad rep, but as soon as they decide to build cars people might actualy want (genesis) those reputations will being to fade away as people generalize all the Japanese/Korean cars.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #73
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
sorry I knew that...

... along with Daewoo and Kia...
Old 12-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #74
LarkVille

Drives: The Larkvillemobile
I'm glad to see this debate going just because I like stirring up a little heated conversation here on camaro5 :/

So if nothing else, I think the hidden message behind this whole thing is that the rock-solid distinction between car categories and stereotypes is getting blurred more and more. It's not just "muscle rules" or "ricers suck" anymore. Don't think that GM hasn't had to take a couple of lessons from the import game over the years. And a new Camaro has things like Valve management for fuel efficiency, IRS, (ambient lighting, hah)..etc. While the new Genesis in question has RWD for heaven's sake, on a car that looks like that? Times are changing and we can now buy $30K performance that rivals Jaguars, Beamers, Lexus, etc.

The only question is can American automotive stay in business long enough to sustain the competative edge they've spent so many years trying to establish, and IMO just achieved in the last 8 years (GM specifically). In a nutshell, go Camaro.
LarkVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #75
ConceptVBS

Drives: POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkVille View Post
I'm glad to see this debate going just because I like stirring up a little heated conversation here on camaro5 :/

So if nothing else, I think the hidden message behind this whole thing is that the rock-solid distinction between car categories and stereotypes is getting blurred more and more. It's not just "muscle rules" or "ricers suck" anymore. Don't think that GM hasn't had to take a couple of lessons from the import game over the years. And a new Camaro has things like Valve management for fuel efficiency, IRS, (ambient lighting, hah)..etc. While the new Genesis in question has RWD for heaven's sake, on a car that looks like that? Times are changing and we can now buy $30K performance that rivals Jaguars, Beamers, Lexus, etc.

The only question is can American automotive stay in business long enough to sustain the competative edge they've spent so many years trying to establish, and IMO just achieved in the last 8 years (GM specifically). In a nutshell, go Camaro.

Out-freaking-standing.
ConceptVBS is offline   Reply With Quote