The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 03-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #29
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
I'll simply say this...

Put Tom Brady in Indy and put Peyton Manning in New England...you'd have Manning with the rings...and Brady with some records probably, but nothing historic...
Old 03-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #30
neptunetrucking

Drives: new ss
I Agree. His accuracy has been bad. this year he has worked on it
neptunetrucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #31
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
I'll simply say this...

Put Tom Brady in Indy and put Peyton Manning in New England...you'd have Manning with the rings...and Brady with some records probably, but nothing historic...

That's funny .....Manning has had the most talented offensive group for two years in a row in the AFC, as well as a pretty stout D, how did that workout for him ?
3 SS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #32
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 SS's View Post
That's funny .....Manning has had the most talented offensive group for two years in a row in the AFC, as well as a pretty stout D, how did that workout for him ?
Eh, by the time his "stout D" reached the SB, they were missing a grand total of 5 defensive starters and 2 offensive line starters...

And as for last year, well...that is purely him getting hurt and trying to do too much..
Old 03-09-2015, 04:19 AM   #33
Dirtdog
Pro Hide n Seek Player

Drives: 2010 SS LS3/LSA 620whp/630tq
Send a message via AIM to Dirtdog
Calling Brady only good as a "System QB" is the same as saying Joe Montana was only a good "System QB".

That argument is foundationless and pathetic.

620whp/630wtq. ADM LSA Conversion, E85, PFADT Tri-Y Headers into Borla S, PFADT Swaybars, Springs, Links, 20x10 20x11 Forgestar F14s, Lots of AAC
Dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #34
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdog View Post
Calling Brady only good as a "System QB" is the same as saying Joe Montana was only a good "System QB".

That argument is foundationless and pathetic.
I would agree with that statement. His first 5-6 years in the NFL, he was certainly a "game manager" style of QB. As their defense fell apart, he became more Peyton Manning-esque.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #35
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
you are embarrassing yourself
3 SS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:08 AM   #36
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
First, let me correct you in saying that Tom Brady isn't the GOAT. He's not even close to being the GOAT. He's more Scottie Pippen than Jordan, sorry...but that's just reality.
How is Tom Brady NOT the greatest QB of all time? I'm a huge Cowboy fan and I'm not drinking the Kool Aid saying Aikman and Smith weren't overrated with all the weapons they've had. That's another story though. What I'm trying to get at, is that Tom Brady IS indeed... the MAN.

Year in, year out his team is a Superbowl contender, like it or not... the Patriots are in the Superbowl more than your team has ever been in, in the Tom Brady era that is.

Is Eli Manning and the New York Giants' Brady's kryptonite? Sure is, being 0-2 against Eli Manning in the biggest game in North America a blemish on that legacy? You bet. But doesn't take away from Brady's accomplishments and how he just simply put, makes the Patriots a contender every year.

I mean come on now, what kind of weapons has Tom Brady had outside of that freakish year he had with a washed up Randy Moss?

How many Hall of Fame Wide Receiver's in the Patriot's Brady era has the man had? ONE... Randy freakin' Moss. Just ONE.

Compare Tom Brady to all the other greats who have had incredible, absolutely amazing Godlike wide receiver's at their disposal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic73 View Post
I can't believe this, but I'm actually going to agree with you on this one.

Brady is simply a great system QB in a very good system.
No sir, you couldn't be more wrong. Tom Brady IS the system. It's basically, line up at WR and let this man throw you the ball.

Don't get me wrong, his backup Matt Cassell had an amazing year in the system. But he sat behind Brady for a couple years to pick it up and did well. Cassell isn't a bad QB at all, he just played for terrible teams afterwards.

That's like saying Aaron Rodgers is a product of his system. Remember when he got hurt and Matt Flynn threw for 480 yards and 6 touchdowns in ONE game. Aaron Rodgers hasn't even touched those numbers yet. And who does Matt Flynn start for now? Exactly.

So call it "the system" but I call it Tom Brady being Tom Brady, year in and year out. The dude just flat out BALLS OUT OF CONTROL season in, and season out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic73 View Post
I'm not saying Brady Sucks, I just don't think he is the GOAT. Look at Manning, that guy is basically the offensive coordinator, no QB in the history of the game controls the offense like he does when on the field.

He's competing for it for a decade with different weapons because he plays in a great system. I said it before and I'll say it again, he's a very good system QB.
System QB haterade again?
Read the above statement.

Don't get me started on Peyton Manning. Okay, the guy is a monster and is arguably the greatest QB to ever do it. If he were to play for the Jags right now, they would be in the playoffs next season.

However, year in and year out this whole "Manning vs Brady" thing has been hyped. Brady stomps him in almost every game they've played in. Not to mention Manning's UGLY playoff record.

11 Wins to 13 Losses. That's a .458 record in the playoffs.
9 - 10 with the Colts and 2-3 with the Broncos

Sorry, but having a .458 record in the playoffs (you know... where Hall of Fame careers are defined, not made... but DEFINED) doesn't cut it.
Manning would have been retired by now had he won one last Championship with the Denver Broncos. But he'll be forever haunted by his playoff record and choking every year aside from that Championship against the Bears... nearly 10 years ago.

Now he also has the worst Superbowl loss in recent NFL history looming over his Hall of Fame career as well. I mean these are things that will forever be chained to him. Peyton Manning doesn't want that "A Football Life - Peyton Manning" edition to end with him retiring a final season with yet another playoff last and failing to successfully chase that elusive 2nd ring he's been hurting for.

So no, Peyton Manning is NOT that greatest QB ever. He puts up great stats in the regular season... don't get me wrong.

But look at Dan Marino, the man would definitely be in the talks for greatest QB of all time had it not been for never winning a dang Superbowl, and it's sad because he set that 5k passing yard back in a completely different era of Football. Before this new "QB Passing League" era that we witness ever Sunday during the regular season.

So Peyton Manning will forever be known as "The great QB who put up amazing numbers in the regular season, but outside of one Superbowl, could not put it together after."

Tom Brady on the other hand... those PLAYOFF records speak for themselves. That man is just simply ice cold blooded when it's clutch time.

21 wins... 8 losses.
.724 winning percentage... IN THE PLAYOFFS.

Tom Brady holds the NFL record for most playoff wins by a quarterback with 21 and the record for most playoff games started (29). Peyton Manning holds the record for most playoff losses with 13.

So those stats speak for themselves. Tom Brady is simply the greatest to ever do it... he didn't have a Reggie Wayne or a Marvin Harrison his entire career.

He didn't have a Steel Curtain defense or a GOAT Jerry Rice to make it happen for him. Nope... he won 4 Superbowls in 2 different eras of Football.

Something that will probably never happen again.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:58 AM   #37
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Football is a team game. Being a Dolphins fan, and Marino fan, I probably know this better than most. I've seen every game Marino has played. I've seen most all of Brady's games. I know that winning and losing is not just on the QB. And I also know that the QB gets all the blame and/or glory for losing or winning. Saying that, Brady is nowhere near the top. Sorry, you can bring all the stats in you want, but you can't deny, watching the greats play and watching Brady play, are anywhere near the same. That's not saying Brady is bad, but not near all time great.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #38
Dmpsix

I see the point you're trying to make but your argument has no valid facts.

other than watching them play and comparing them based off of your opinion you can't just sit there and say Tom Brady isn't the greatest simply because you don't think so.

stats are there for a reason and Tom Brady has those stats for a good reason.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #39
PoorMansCamaro

Tom Brady has slightly above average/average stats (other than w/ Moss), that's based on his own play. not a winning percentage that's based on a team achievement.

edit: so in that case, I have a ton of stats I can post up, if you are that interested...
Old 04-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #40
Dmpsix

I am very interested, do show!
Old 04-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #41
PoorMansCamaro

in a passing league, throwing for 3k yards is nothing special. which he's done 6 years. the 6 years he's thrown for over 4k, 4 of them were barely over 4k. he's had 2 years where he's thrown for 48xx yards and then the randy moss year of 52xx. So again, he's a little above average on those stats.

He also hardly ever throws downfield. Most of his passes are inside 10yds to TE's, RB's, and slot WR's. Gronk/hernandez and Welker/Edelman are/were the real stars of that offense.

Again, I'm not saying Brady is bad. He's by far not a bad QB. He's just not in the discussion of all time greats, unless you just go by wins alone. In that case, I guess you have to take Dan Marino out of the discussion...and I don't know anyone who does that.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #42
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
in a passing league, throwing for 3k yards is nothing special. which he's done 6 years. the 6 years he's thrown for over 4k, 4 of them were barely over 4k. he's had 2 years where he's thrown for 48xx yards and then the randy moss year of 52xx. So again, he's a little above average on those stats.

He also hardly ever throws downfield. Most of his passes are inside 10yds to TE's, RB's, and slot WR's. Gronk/hernandez and Welker/Edelman are/were the real stars of that offense.

Again, I'm not saying Brady is bad. He's by far not a bad QB. He's just not in the discussion of all time greats, unless you just go by wins alone. In that case, I guess you have to take Dan Marino out of the discussion...and I don't know anyone who does that.
You honestly think Dan Marino had a better career than Tom Brady is having? And Brady isn't even in the discussion for all time greats? You are really discrediting yourself here.