Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-29-2022, 05:47 AM   #1
steaksauce28

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
What’s the best way to clean stainless works exhaust tips and mufflers

My Camaro h
Attached Images

Last edited by steaksauce28; 06-20-2023 at 07:34 PM.
steaksauce28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 07:10 AM   #2
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Is this worth solving?

According to my neighborhood and family, I have the cleanest, most polished Camaro in the world.

Name:  20190922_125656_HDR~3.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  329.4 KB

But I wouldn't deal with this.
I always polished the exhaust tips only from the outside, and I cleaned and polished the dampers themselves only when I put the exhaust down and mounted the cut outs.

Otherwise, I think it's useless work. One trip and the ehaust tips are black again and the exhaust muflers is dusty again.

But from the worst case, I cleaned the mufflers and tips with WD 40 and then with a polishing paste to polish the old paint.

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 09:21 AM   #3
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Just exhaust tips with rag and mpc.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 10:01 AM   #4
pendragon97

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS RS LS3 NPP
Steaksauce - I'd say first confirm the insides of the exhaust tips are stainless - maybe test-polish a small area on the inside top of the tip (hidden area). I'm betting they're stainless and will polish up nice.

I use simichrome polish. I am amazed by it. I do inside and outside of the exhaust tips, and yes it takes a long long time by hand. I've experimented with using drill attachments but haven't found anything that suits me. You may need to start with a degreaser first. The insides of my tips do not get blackened quickly, I just wipe them out once a month or so. Then again, I'm a pretty slow driver.

As for the mufflers, I'd go after them with simichrome also. I'd do a test patch and then check on it a few weeks later and see how it's holding up. I may do that myself, I'm curious. I have used it on motorcycle exhausts and it does a great job.

Waste of time? Yes probably. Do I enjoy it anyway? heck yeah. If I can I'll post a pic.
Old 10-29-2022, 10:13 AM   #5
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Borla Exhaust Cleaner & Polish and bronze wool

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ogPW3z45wJ8
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 10:14 AM   #6
pendragon97

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS RS LS3 NPP
Here's a couple pics
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2022, 05:28 PM   #7
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Don't use a stainless steel pad!! My buddy did and scratched up his tips. I have a Corsa system on my Camaro and I spray some Simple Green degreaser on the inside, let it sit a couple minutes then wipe it out with a soft towel. Then I use some Mothers stainless mag polish on a power cone in my power drill and do the entire inside, then the out side with the polish and a soft towel like you would shine your shoes, buff it off. Turns out real nice and only takes about 15 minutes. And as for the mufflers, you can use the same polish with a small polishing wheel and buff them up and they will stay that way.

Name:  IMG_1997.JPG
Views: 248
Size:  371.3 KB

Name:  rear3.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  318.8 KB

Old 10-30-2022, 03:13 AM   #8
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
According to my neighborhood and family, I have the cleanest, most polished Camaro in the world.
You or 1JEWLDSSRS
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:55 AM   #9
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy pilot View Post
You or 1JEWLDSSRS

I suppose those around him don't think he's crazy like I do.

They think I'm an idiot

Every time I put the Camaro back in the garage under the tarp, I give it a good wash, or at least wipe it down with a wet towel and give it a perfect polish with wet wax.

I brush the carpets, wipe the engine compartment and the car goes to the garage absolutely perfectly clean and polished.
Both my Camaros.

Well, simply maximum and for some even excessive care. That's why I was surprised that someone took it to an even higher level to polish the inside of the exhaust

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:11 AM   #10
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:

They think I'm an idiot

Every time I put the Camaro back in the garage under the tarp, I give it a good wash, or at least wipe it down with a wet towel and give it a perfect polish with wet wax.

I brush the carpets, wipe the engine compartment and the car goes to the garage absolutely perfectly clean and polished.
Both my Camaros.

Well, simply maximum and for some even excessive care. That's why I was surprised that someone took it to an even higher level to polish the inside of the exhaust
Nothing wrong with taking care of what makes you happy, whether barely or what some consider excessively.
My car and my HD’s look brand new. My 2005 bagger with 85k is regularly mistaken for a few years old. To each their own.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:49 AM   #11
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
Quote:

They think I'm an idiot

Both my Camaros.

i give mine a full 2 hour detail EVERYTIME i drive it. full carnabu wax each time.
even the underneath is factory fresh lol. mine hasn't even seen a puddle since i bought it.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:55 AM   #12
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded

underneath my 2013 camaro lol

Old 10-30-2022, 12:20 PM   #13
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
Nothing wrong with taking care of what makes you happy, whether barely or what some consider excessively.
My car and my HD’s look brand new. My 2005 bagger with 85k is regularly mistaken for a few years old. To each their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro fanboy View Post
i give mine a full 2 hour detail EVERYTIME i drive it. full carnabu wax each time.
even the underneath is factory fresh lol. mine hasn't even seen a puddle since i bought it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro fanboy View Post

underneath my 2013 camaro lol

Great! At least I don't feel so stupid anymore

Because many times when you see the reaction of those around you...

It looks clean from a distance. But here we know it isn't

And I also keep the inside of the discs mirror-clean.
Not that I would take them off the car, but again, a towel, a hand between the spokes and everything clean incl. discs, brake calipers and just about everything.

Name:  20190612_182644_HDR.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  147.5 KB

Camaro fanboy: Otherwise the bottom of my Camaro looks exactly the same as your 2013

Old 10-30-2022, 12:46 PM   #14
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy pilot View Post
Just exhaust tips with rag and mpc.

I clean mine at least once a week so I only need a wet cloth. Thats it