Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-14-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
DriftNDraft

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE M6 was 2018 V6 RS A8
A8 goes out of gear

Just purchased a 2018 1LT V6 with an A8 transmission. I was coming off an overpass and accelerating the car through a curved offramp. By the time I got to the end of the ramp, the transmission went out of gear. The shifter was still in drive but the transmission was acting as if it was in neutral.

I rolled to a stop on the shoulder, moved the shifter to park and then back into drive and everything worked normally. I figured it was just a fluke and not a big deal. That was five days ago.

But then I went down the same offramp this morning and the same thing happened. The car has 2000 miles on it. Has anyone else seen anything like this?
DriftNDraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #2
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Yup...My A8 SS started doing this over a year ago, kept getting worse over a few day period. Made an appt for the dealer, I literally drove into the dealers garages and the transmission crapped out. They usually move the cars from that garage into the back mechanic garages, the porter couldn't even get the car to go into D or R, literally was dead. Over $3K in parts and labor that warranty covered to basically rebuild the transmission. Still have issues, biggest one is if the car sits outside for a few hours, try to put the car in D, it hesitates before grabbing the gear and engaging, other than that works awesome now.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Your low on trans fluid. That "neutral" is the pump sucking air, takes only a few seconds to burn up clutches and the pump.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:46 AM   #4
DriftNDraft

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE M6 was 2018 V6 RS A8
The dealer checked the transmission and couldn't find anything wrong. The tech also said that the fluid was full. He then asked to take a ride with me. We went around a curved offramp somewhat quickly and there wasn't any issue.

Since then I've gone around the original curve and noticed that I might have mistaken the transmission "coming loose" for when it was actually going into performance mode. If I accelerate instead of let up when it happens everything seems fine. So it could be I'm just not used to an automatic transmission with a lateral acceleration sensor.

In any case it appears that it's fixed.
DriftNDraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #5
Kedavis

Drives: 2017 garnet red ss
Mine did this after header install and I noticed the positive wire to the starter had burnt a little to the heat shield. It was making the trans do all kinds of weird stuff, when I got on it popped out of gear. Fixed the wire put a starter blanket and some good heat shield on the wire,problem solved.
Kedavis is offline   Reply With Quote