Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: What do you think will power the Z/28? (
Small (5 - 5.5L range) high revving engine 26 8.10%
LT1 with minor power bump (CAI, exhaust, etc) 10 3.12%
Heavily reworked LT1, similar to the LS6 from the C5 Z06; ~500 hp 65 20.25%
Large displacement sucessor to the LS7, ~550 hp 129 40.19%
LT4, same as from the ZL1, CTS-v, and Z06 50 15.58%
'super LT4' with a bigger blower or turbos making 700+ 31 9.66%
Other (please specify) 10 3.12%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #225
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mines13 View Post
That is pretty flawed logic, of course it could make more power. The engine is equipped with forged pistons and titanium connecting rods, stock. At 464 it is likely not being taxed very hard in the ATS-V, while still making more power than almost anything in it's class in basic form. The over built bottom end also leaves the engine open for making more power with an ECU re-flash and perhaps upgraded fuel system, cooling as well as potentially larger turbochargers during a mid cycle refresh and/or possible use in another application... It may very well not be the engine, but it can't be completely ruled out as of yet.
A factory engine needs to meet emissions regulations. Doesn't matter how strong the internals are, if it pollutes too much it doesn't go into production.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #226
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Maybe it comes with 2 keys. Lol
One key is emission compliant 525HP.
The other unlocks the 600HP emissions bad boy.
The could be a cat bypass valve and a tune unlocked.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #227
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Sounds very... VW

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #228
NemesisC5

Drives: 1999 Corvette C5
I've been following the C7 ZR1 development rumors and find some similarities to Z28 in that they both have more aero development than other cars of the same pedigree indicated track focused design. Both have generated interest as to what is under the hood with recent ZR1 rumors of 700+ HP. Recent pictures of the big winged camo covered mules show attention is being given to front fascia to channel more air to aid cooling especially with speculated HP increase. One possible option with minimal cost to increase power would be to utilize the new Eaton 170* 2650cc twin rotors (read link below and notice publish date). There was early rumor from an insider with resources that LT4 would have big brother with larger displacement blower. I'm "speculating" this may align with new engine destined for 2018 Z28 to further set it apart from 2017 ZL1.

My theory regarding rear/mid engine Corvette in development is not a C8 but rather a stand alone platform named the Zora without any monikers associated at all, especially not ZR1. Likely to come with twin turbos and 4 valve DOHC engine similar to European counterparts and Ford GT. A rumor from long ago and still standing is that GM will produce the rear/mid engine Zora and C7 both for about 2 years which makes no sense. Over 600,000 square feet is being added to Bowling Green plant for what is labeled as state of the art paint shop along with another un-named building to require approximately 280 additional employees. I believe the added infrastructure is for new Zora and current C7 then eventually C8 Corvette development and production. C8 likely to be evolution of C7 with front/mid engine like current vehicle to keep it affordable to current demographic and maintain exclusivity of rear/mid engine Zora design similar to what Ford is doing with Mustang and Ford GT platforms. Consider that a good portion of those purchasing Ford GT at $400k+ is adding a new demographic to Ford customer portfolio..that's Ferrari territory. I'm not saying Zora will MSRP for $400k but could be close in $200k territory in my wild speculation.

L88 trademarked by GM within last 12 months as well, could this be a 7.0 liter NA engine destined for 2018 Z28 or 2018 Corvette track focused model, C7 ZO6X perhaps? OR will there indeed be a big brother to LT4 with larger displacement supercharger?

I've visited Camaro6 over the years looking for information on new GM models and their powertrains. While here today I shared a couple thoughts, observations and opinions in this post of commonalities I believe to be relevant to recent Camaro and Corvette developments.

Link to Eaton Rotors (notice the publish date)

Rendering of possible ZR1 on CF home page

Scotty
NemesisC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #229
mines13

Drives: FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Sure, it can make more power but can it make that while meeting GM's durability standards, emissions and fuel regulations?
If Nissan can build a 3.8L twin turbo V6 with port injection that makes 600hp and meets emissions/MPG regulations, and Ford can build a DI 3.5L twin turbo V6 that makes 600hp and meets the same regulations, then GM surely could build a 500+hp 3.6L twin turbo V6 that accomplishes the same.

Last edited by mines13; 11-14-2016 at 09:56 AM.
mines13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:33 AM   #230
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I still think that if/when they make this car, they will stay true to the original philosophy of the Z/28. It will be all about handling and track performance over horsepower. I expect to see the LT1 in a ZL1 chassis with aero, weight reduction, CC brakes, and a unique suspension package similar to, if not DSSV.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #231
mines13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
I still think that if/when they make this car, they will stay true to the original philosophy of the Z/28. It will be all about handling and track performance over horsepower. I expect to see the LT1 in a ZL1 chassis with aero, weight reduction, CC brakes, and a unique suspension package similar to, if not DSSV.
I could totally see something along those lines, NA is ideal for a road race application for sure. I would expect some sort of power increase, at least matching the GT350. Hopefully we will find out soon.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #232
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mines13 View Post
I could totally see something along those lines, NA is ideal for a road race application for sure. I would expect some sort of power increase, at least matching the GT350. Hopefully we will find out soon.
You wont need to match peak numbers when the power band is so strong in the lt1. Seeing how hard a gt350 has with a standard ss in a straightline i think a lt1 variant with 500/475 in a lighter car would be perfect.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #233
mines13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
You wont need to match peak numbers when the power band is so strong in the lt1. Seeing how hard a gt350 has with a standard ss in a straightline i think a lt1 variant with 500/475 in a lighter car would be perfect.
Agreed. I think the advantage to matching the quoted GT350 HP would be more for marketing if anything.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #234
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
The more I think about it, what if they just put the LT1, as is, in the ZL1 body and called it a day.

This is pretty much what they did with the Grand Sport Corvettes and they sold a boatload of the C6 and the C7 version is getting some pretty good reviews. It's proven formula for them, and now that there is an actual "wide body" Camaro, I don't see why it wouldn't work here. If you haven't seen a ZL1 up close yet, just wait, it's nothing short of spectacular.

Forget that the previous Z/28 was the ultimate track car. Amazing as it was, it was a unicorn. They only made a few (relatively) and had a hard time selling those. I think there is a big market for people that would really want the ZL1 widebody look that don't necessarily want the 650HP, or forced induction, or the $62K price tag, but love the look of the ZL1. I think GM would sell a lot of these cars. JMHO
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #235
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Doesn't make sense to me.. Pretty sure Grand Sport wasn't just an appearance package on the C6, but it also wasn't a track car like the C7 Grand Sport is. C7 Grand Sport isn't just a body kit.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #236
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
I celebrate the principle but reality is this would become Diesel Gate like. This is akin to me NEVER running open headers on the street...
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #237
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
The more I think about it, what if they just put the LT1, as is, in the ZL1 body and called it a day.

This is pretty much what they did with the Grand Sport Corvettes and they sold a boatload of the C6 and the C7 version is getting some pretty good reviews. It's proven formula for them, and now that there is an actual "wide body" Camaro, I don't see why it wouldn't work here. If you haven't seen a ZL1 up close yet, just wait, it's nothing short of spectacular.

Forget that the previous Z/28 was the ultimate track car. Amazing as it was, it was a unicorn. They only made a few (relatively) and had a hard time selling those. I think there is a big market for people that would really want the ZL1 widebody look that don't necessarily want the 650HP, or forced induction, or the $62K price tag, but love the look of the ZL1. I think GM would sell a lot of these cars. JMHO

Those good Grand Sport reviews are because of how well it handles, not because its marginally wider than a basic Corvette. Sticking the ZL1 fascia, hood, and fenders onto an SS & calling it a Z/28 will not generate the same reviews.

And I've seen a ZL1 up close, a couple of them actually. Never really cared about how wide it was. Well, thats not true. I appreciated that they made the fascia wider so that it had more airflow for cooling, and understood that that required pushing the fenders out further (as well as making for a new hood). But as far as how wide it looks? I simply do not care in the slightest.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #238
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Doesn't make sense to me.. Pretty sure Grand Sport wasn't just an appearance package on the C6, but it also wasn't a track car like the C7 Grand Sport is. C7 Grand Sport isn't just a body kit.
The C6 Grand Sport was done in pretty much the exact same way as the C7, only difference today is that you can now get the Z07 package on it as well. To the best of my knowledge, the only differences between the C6 Grand Sport and the Z06 were the frame and engine. So if the Grand Sport wasn't a track car, then neither was the basic Z06. And we all know that isn't true.

Camaro Fest sub-forum