Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-09-2021, 02:28 PM   #1
RG20SS

Drives: 2021 ZL1
INTERCHILLER

I recently installed Kooks 2" headers with green cats and had it dyno tuned. The only other mod is Rotofab. Car put down 622hp and 644tq. Id like to do cooling mods, but idk if I want to remove the front clip and cut into the reinforcement bar. Also a lot of routing with all the hoses and connections. Anyone able to talk me into it? Ready.....go! lol
Old 11-09-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
If you're going to go the ported blower route eventually then you're gonna need all the cooling you can get. So you might want to get it outta the way first. It is always a good mod and I do recommend it. Also remember that with a chiller it's not soo much that you gain a little bit of HP so much that you won't lose a lot of power to heat soak.

I have a chiller on my list of second round mods. I'm looking at Weapon X as it has a gauge with it, it is plug and play, and it allows for switching between the heat exchanger and the chiller. It looks like a nice setup.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:54 PM   #3
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG20SS View Post
I recently installed Kooks 2" headers with green cats and had it dyno tuned. The only other mod is Rotofab. Car put down 622hp and 644tq. Id like to do cooling mods, but idk if I want to remove the front clip and cut into the reinforcement bar. Also a lot of routing with all the hoses and connections. Anyone able to talk me into it? Ready.....go! lol
If you get the right kit and do it correctly, you don’t need to cut anything.

I have the forced inductions interchiller with a fender tank. Hose routing was a bitch but all fit nicely in the end.

Fits right behind the crash bar.

My lines go from pump, interchiller, fender tank, supercharger, reservoir.

I coated the fender tank with industrial cold spray, then used an undercoat with fiberglass in it.
Attached Images

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 03:37 PM   #4
RG20SS

So I finally got around to ordering the Forced Inductions Interchiller a couple weeks ago and I had Exodus Performance in Austin, Tx do the install. I don't have the time to do the work. It took a little longer than expected due to parts not included in the kit I ordered, but these guys did an AWESOME job on the install. The wiring and all the lines and hoses are very well installed. Looks factory since you cant really see anything is there. The car now has 2" Kooks headers w/ green cats, Rotofab, upper pulley, FI interchiller, and ECM tune. Exodus performance has done very good job on my build. If anyone is looking for a reputable shop in ATX these guys are great! Car is now at 654hp and 718tq!! May not be much for you guys pushing 800+ HP lol, but this is the fastest car I've ever had. Such a rush driving it and just keeps pulling! Now I need to find tires SOMEWHERE, cause everything is back ordered.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:41 PM   #5
Camaro1973

Quote:
So I finally got around to ordering the Forced Inductions Interchiller a couple weeks ago and I had Exodus Performance in Austin, Tx do the install. I don't have the time to do the work. It took a little longer than expected due to parts not included in the kit I ordered, but these guys did an AWESOME job on the install. The wiring and all the lines and hoses are very well installed. Looks factory since you cant really see anything is there. The car now has 2" Kooks headers w/ green cats, Rotofab, upper pulley, FI interchiller, and ECM tune. Exodus performance has done very good job on my build. If anyone is looking for a reputable shop in ATX these guys are great! Car is now at 654hp and 718tq!! May not be much for you guys pushing 800+ HP lol, but this is the fastest car I've ever had. Such a rush driving it and just keeps pulling! Now I need to find tires SOMEWHERE, cause everything is back ordered.
Nice. It’s not so much a horsepower gain , rather you won’t lose power when ambient temps go up.

Here’s a perfect example of how well it works.

75F MAT temps on a 73F day.
Attached Images

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Old 03-17-2022, 05:30 PM   #6
RG20SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
Nice. It’s not so much a horsepower gain , rather you won’t lose power when ambient temps go up.

Here’s a perfect example of how well it works.

75F MAT temps on a 73F day.
Yeah, temp at the supercharger was ~40*. The gains were 32hp/74tq from the pulley swap and the chiller just helps sustain that pretty dang good.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:48 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Pulling the front cover isn't bad. I'd use power tools, carefully, and it will go A LOT quicker. The first time you do it, it's a PITA, and you should enlist help so you don't scratch the headlights or the fenders probably. After the first time, it's pretty easy to do yourself, IMO. I've thought about this mod', but where I live, they'd probably fail my emissions inspection.

Some argue it doesn't do anything and some are all in.

It seems for strip or street work, it does great. Around a track, maybe not so much. It seems to me that, theoretically, it would be great. That little blower is already working really hard and putting out a lot of heat, and the MAT table starts pulling timing out very early, and pulling power. With the compressor running all the time, I wonder if it will wear faster, but that might not even be an issue.

For the price, I'd probably jump in if I didn't live where I do.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:26 AM   #8
RG20SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Pulling the front cover isn't bad. I'd use power tools, carefully, and it will go A LOT quicker. The first time you do it, it's a PITA, and you should enlist help so you don't scratch the headlights or the fenders probably. After the first time, it's pretty easy to do yourself, IMO. I've thought about this mod', but where I live, they'd probably fail my emissions inspection.

It seems for strip or street work, it does great. Around a track, maybe not so much. It seems to me that, theoretically, it would be great. That little blower is already working really hard and putting out a lot of heat, and the MAT table starts pulling timing out very early, and pulling power. With the compressor running all the time, I wonder if it will wear faster, but that might not even be an issue.

I dont see why it would fail emissions, but I could be wrong. All it is doing is lowerng the IAT. I would think it would help with emissions. Maybe someone else has better knowledge on this.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:44 AM   #9
sactownbwoy

Drives: '22 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
I dont see why it would fail emissions, but I could be wrong. All it is doing is lowerng the IAT. I would think it would help with emissions. Maybe someone else has better knowledge on this.
Because California. Thats why lol. Some of the best roads and awesome car/motorcycle weather all year long but this state can suck the fun out of it if you even think about modding your car.
sactownbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 10:46 AM   #10
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
The FII interchiller is next on my list.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 11:54 AM   #11
Camaro1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post

I don’t see this being an issue. It just T’s into your existing AC lines, sits behind the crash bar. You can hide the switch anywhere. You can’t see it and you don’t need to tune it if you don’t want to.

I’m not sure why anyone would say it does nothing. Your water temps stay below 40F even it hot weather. I think some people don’t understand the simple physics of air/water exchange. Your water temps will never go below ambient, it doesn’t matter how many heat exchangers you have.

Also it’s not even just about running hot and pulling timing. All blown cars, hell even NA will have power loss from hot weather/humidity.

Losing 8% HP going from a 50F day w40% humidity to a 90F day with 70% humidity is quite a substantial loss. Then add in any timing modifiers and now you just lost 100Hp.

Only thing it’s not good for is circuit track, because the AC is simply to small to keep the temps down for prolonged time. A large expansion tank may negate this though.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:44 AM   #12
Akura

Drives: ´18 ZL1 A10 Red Hot 😍
Hello,

For those with the interchiller installed, do you notice more hot air inside the cabin than stock? My tuner told me it's a probably side effect to this mod because hot air has to be dispelled somewhere, and this somewhere is the cabin.

Thank you.

Akura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 02:26 PM   #13
Camaro1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura View Post
Hello,

For those with the interchiller installed, do you notice more hot air inside the cabin than stock? My tuner told me it's a probably side effect to this mod because hot air has to be dispelled somewhere, and this somewhere is the cabin.

Thank you.
No why would hot air end up in the cabin? The chiller sits behind the front bumper.

Old 11-22-2022, 03:32 PM   #14
Katech_Mike

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
No why would hot air end up in the cabin? The chiller sits behind the front bumper.
I believe that he may be referencing the air conditioning not working as well with an interchiller installed(small language barrier possibly).

Which in my experience while not a huge difference when it's really hot and humid out it does impact the performance of the AC in the car.
Katech_Mike is online now   Reply With Quote