Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-12-2022, 01:05 PM   #1
steaksauce28

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
What's the best way to clean underneath aftermarket louvers?

The Camaro I just bought has louvers on the back and side glass. Glass if filthy. Seller said it was put on with 3m tape. I wasn't sure if that meant Velcro or just glue. I was just wondering if I could take it off to clean behind it and then put it back on or if I'll need to buy more 3m tape to do so.
Attached Images

steaksauce28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 01:33 PM   #2
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
3M tape is just super strong double-sided tape. If you do remove them, make sure you put them back on with genuine red 3M tape. When I had my 09 GT Mustang, I used generic red tape and lost a side louver on my first outing.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:06 PM   #3
steaksauce28

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
3M tape is just super strong double-sided tape. If you do remove them, make sure you put them back on with genuine red 3M tape. When I had my 09 GT Mustang, I used generic red tape and lost a side louver on my first outing.

Got it. Thanks! So I take it to enjoy the louvers you just give up on trying to keep the windows spotless? I can’t imagine there is an easy way to keep the windows consistently clean while also having the louvers on. Granted you can’t see anything out of those windows anyways.
steaksauce28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:27 PM   #4
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
I know I will get a lot of feed back on this statement. I spent the extra money and got the metal louvers. They were expensive, but all I have to do is pull the 2 locks on the lower corners. Lift the louvers up and and pull the 2 prop legs down and they hold the louvers up while you clean the glass. And can see out the back thru them very good.
Old 11-12-2022, 08:38 PM   #5
BLU DUCE

Here is my louvers
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2022, 05:15 AM   #6
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Blue Duce's look way easier to clean. Your louvers Id try to get a wash mit between them and the glass and work the mit as well as I could. As far as getting the glass spotless, that seems like you would have to make something like a flexable squeegee almost.
Old 11-13-2022, 06:18 AM   #7
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU DUCE View Post
I know I will get a lot of feed back on this statement. I spent the extra money and got the metal louvers. They were expensive, but all I have to do is pull the 2 locks on the lower corners. Lift the louvers up and and pull the 2 prop legs down and they hold the louvers up while you clean the glass. And can see out the back thru them very good.

I like it.
It's well thought out.
Under those conditions, I would also buy louvers for my Camaro.
Until now, I was discouraged by the inability to wash the window.

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 08:10 AM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I have these, but looks like you can't get them anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/Classics-5412.../dp/B07VGXSLV7

Name:  don 8.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  140.7 KB

Yours you will have to take them off carefully without cracking them, clean the window then reattach them with good red 3m automotive trim tape, after you clean the old stuff off. Mine are attached to metal mounts that attach to the window, then the louvers attach to the mount with threaded studs with thumb nuts. Good luck. The ones Duce has are made by MRT.. And expensive.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:47 AM   #9
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Damn I didn’t realize we’re back to 1987… here’s my GM set… from my ‘87 Iroc-Z….

I’m just funnin with you guys, of course. They definitely can still be pulled off on the 5th Gen. To the op, if you have to take them off to clean the windows lacquer thinner will make cleaning the old double sided tape off of the class and plastic easier. Be really care with it on paint because it can soften it up and cause problems later on if you get too much on the paint.
Attached Images

ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 09:22 AM   #10
BLU DUCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
I have these, but looks like you can't get them anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/Classics-5412.../dp/B07VGXSLV7

Attachment 1113689

Yours you will have to take them off carefully without cracking them, clean the window then reattach them with good red 3m automotive trim tape, after you clean the old stuff off. Mine are attached to metal mounts that attach to the window, then the louvers attach to the mount with threaded studs with thumb nuts. Good luck. The ones Duce has are made by MRT.. And expensive.
You get people to spend more money on their camaro and you have the gul to not put the MRT metal ones on yours. [SHAME ON YOU]
Old 11-13-2022, 09:24 AM   #11
BLU DUCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Damn I didn’t realize we’re back to 1987… here’s my GM set… from my ‘87 Iroc-Z….

I’m just funnin with you guys, of course. They definitely can still be pulled off on the 5th Gen. To the op, if you have to take them off to clean the windows lacquer thinner will make cleaning the old double sided tape off of the class and plastic easier. Be really care with it on paint because it can soften it up and cause problems later on if you get too much on the paint.
I would like to own that 87.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:48 AM   #12
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
I had a 79 Mustang Cobra that had that style. Very handy!

Last edited by Danial; 11-13-2022 at 06:20 PM.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 12:07 PM   #13
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
I would like to own that 87.
Thanks, it’s a pretty bad ass car all things considered. Paint is the biggest thing it needs but I’ll get there soon enough. All original 50,000 mile car parked at a pawn shop for 20 years before I bought it. Here’s more of the story.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603384
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 02:59 PM   #14
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
If you decide to clean them with a mitt in place and not remove them, rinsing with DI water will help relieve any spotting when they dry provided you rinse well. If you dont have a DI rinse system, most manual carwashes have a spot free rinse. Hopefully they maintain it and it's actually spot free.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote