Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-05-2022, 02:57 PM   #43
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
This here isn't correct, he doesn't have an LS3 now. Unless the original owner went into the engine and changed out the VVT system and did an actual LS3 conversion, it is still a VVT setup. OP mentioned the tune the original owner did was to deactivate the AFM/DOD lifters so the engine would run on all 8 cylinders all the time. So the VVT is still active, just not the AFM/DOD program from the factory. Hope that makes sense. But gotta say,, man you got a great deal for such a low mileage Camaro SS/RS!!! And you have all the "first run"mods already that most folks do. Get a good tune and you will be good to go!! Enjoy..
He is correct on this.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 03:24 PM   #44
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
What states are those? It must be damn few. I've lived in areas in two different states that require inspections but failing said inspection has never prevented the sale of a car. I have bought and sold dozens over the years and more than a few with codes.
As I said above, most states have these laws but they only apply to new and used dealerships, not private sales.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 04:08 PM   #45
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
As I said above, most states have these laws but they only apply to new and used dealerships, not private sales.
We'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:22 PM   #46
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
This here isn't correct, he doesn't have an LS3 now. Unless the original owner went into the engine and changed out the VVT system and did an actual LS3 conversion, it is still a VVT setup. OP mentioned the tune the original owner did was to deactivate the AFM/DOD lifters so the engine would run on all 8 cylinders all the time. So the VVT is still active, just not the AFM/DOD program from the factory. Hope that makes sense. But gotta say,, man you got a great deal for such a low mileage Camaro SS/RS!!! And you have all the "first run"mods already that most folks do. Get a good tune and you will be good to go!! Enjoy..
the way I read his description of mods made me understand that he had the AFM/vvt delete done. what he remembered is what he wrote, he said 4cyl to 8cyl delete or something like that but I could still be wrong. we need a pic of that timing cover or if the op ever posts again get him to check if he has a cable connected to his timing cover.
lol, I think we care about this more then him haha
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 05:55 AM   #47
steaksauce28

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
the way I read his description of mods made me understand that he had the AFM/vvt delete done. what he remembered is what he wrote, he said 4cyl to 8cyl delete or something like that but I could still be wrong. we need a pic of that timing cover or if the op ever posts again get him to check if he has a cable connected to his timing cover.
lol, I think we care about this more then him haha
Oh I am real invested. Could someone possibly send me a picture of what the timing cover looks like? I’ll upload mine shortly and you guys can let me know. The guy I bought it from clearly didn’t do the mods. For instance he said the gear ratio was 3.91 (also said 3.93 but then corrected himself). Turns out it was 3.73. He called the rotofab CAI a K&N too. So I’m interested to try and find any mods that he might not have known about or have been mistaken on.
steaksauce28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 10:32 AM   #48
b3freak
Long Live Chevy Camaro!

Drives: 2014 Camaro LT2/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by steaksauce28 View Post

Just feeling bummed because I absolutely love the car. Ran a carfax (no accidents) and aggressively test drove the heck out of the car and had him follow it back to my house (roughly 40 miles) without any lights coming on. Frame and rest of car is clean enough to eat off of. Couldn't find any trace of it being tracked/raced and tires/brakes were all done within the last two years.

Is it still ok to drive the vehicle until I get this fixed?
I've owned many of these cars along with other sports cars and one thing I've learned is to check the readiness status of the car I'm looking to purchase. The car would have to complete a drive cycle to return the CEL. More than likely, the PO cleared the DTCs to eliminate the CEL and make it a smooth sale. And so I agree, lame move on the seller's part. However, snagging a Gen5 SS with low miles for just $16K is a steal. I wouldn't bother with taking it up with seller which could be a bridge to nowhere. Like others have mentioned, get the engine repaired via a tune or get advice on what needs to be replaced or modified.
2010 Camaro LT1/RS
Present:
2014 Camaro LT2/RS
b3freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 10:59 AM   #49
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3freak View Post
I've owned many of these cars along with other sports cars and one thing I've learned is to check the readiness status of the car I'm looking to purchase. The car would have to complete a drive cycle to return the CEL. More than likely, the PO cleared the DTCs to eliminate the CEL and make it a smooth sale. And so I agree, lame move on the seller's part. However, snagging a Gen5 SS with low miles for just $16K is a steal. I wouldn't bother with taking it up with seller which could be a bridge to nowhere. Like others have mentioned, get the engine repaired via a tune or get advice on what needs to be replaced or modified.
^^^^
+1
Old 11-06-2022, 11:22 AM   #50
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3freak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
^^^^
+1
+2 ^^^^
Old 11-07-2022, 09:40 AM   #51
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Here is an LS3 timing cover.
https://sdparts.com/i-19917280-genui..._content=Brand

And here is an L99 cover.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=l99+ti...9521&mkt=en-us