Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-30-2022, 02:45 PM   #1
steaksauce28

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Bought a 2010 SS from a less than honest seller and now it is throwing a few codes.

S

Last edited by steaksauce28; 06-20-2023 at 07:32 PM.
steaksauce28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 03:01 PM   #2
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
u need a tune, get an email tune from dyno Steve at DSP performance.
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
steaksauce28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
u need a tune, get an email tune from dyno Steve at DSP performance.

Not to sound like an idiot but tuning is super new to me. So I take it the tuner that came with the car won't work? How does an email tune work and can someone with no tuning experience apply it to their vehicle? Is there any risk to tuning the car? Will it matter that I don't know 100% of what mods were done to the vehicle when trying to explain it to the tuner? For instance with the stainless works exhaust I'm not sure if the headers (when looking at their website) are the American made or made overseas version or if they are 2' or 1 7/8'.
Old 10-30-2022, 05:45 PM   #4
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
RELAX!!!
The codes are due to the headers a tuner can make it go away if your getting a light, if you aren't getting the light don't sweat it. There is a tag on one of the header tubes you can see from up top that will tell you Stainless Power (overseas) or Stainless Works (USA) They are both virtually identical except for where they are made and warranty, and they are excellent quality. Car should be fine to enjoy as is. It wouldn't hurt to have someone look at the tune that's in it and make sure everything is fine but it sounds like you got a great deal.
bsn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 07:17 PM   #5
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
So you test drove the car, it's clean to eat off of, and clean car fax.. you've had it for a week and codes popped up.... How is the seller not honest.
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 07:25 PM   #6
steaksauce28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
So you test drove the car, it's clean to eat off of, and clean car fax.. you've had it for a week and codes popped up.... How is the seller not honest.
Very fair. I guess I jumped the gun because I didn’t understand the codes. I can see the same codes (or at least one of them) was cleared so that the check engine light wasn’t on when I bought. Granted a bit of this is on me for not bringing my scanner with me when I looked at it. Doesn’t seem like as big of deal now.

I’ve driven it roughly 20 miles since having bought it. I’m sure he knew (or at least I’m fairly certain) the codes were an issue and cleared them recently but from researching it a bit more this isn’t a huge deal. I was thinking the 4 codes were more serious.

Granted he somehow got it to pass inspection a few months back with these mods already on so maybe his tune failed? Wish I understood more about tuning. Also from an honesty standpoint there were a few other issues that he was clearly not honest about but nothing serious and I liked the car too much.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:30 PM   #7
steaksauce28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
RELAX!!!
The codes are due to the headers a tuner can make it go away if your getting a light, if you aren't getting the light don't sweat it. There is a tag on one of the header tubes you can see from up top that will tell you Stainless Power (overseas) or Stainless Works (USA) They are both virtually identical except for where they are made and warranty, and they are excellent quality. Car should be fine to enjoy as is. It wouldn't hurt to have someone look at the tune that's in it and make sure everything is fine but it sounds like you got a great deal.
Thanks so much for the info! Hate to keep bumping my own post but just wanted say how appreciative I am of this groups knowledge. Also just checked the headers and they have big SW plates on them so I’m assuming USA. Just reached out to dynosteve for tuning though I’m hoping my current tuner might be able to kick these lights off.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:10 PM   #8
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Holy balls. $16k for a 2010 SS with only 39k miles?

Correct me if I am wrong, but that seems like an amazing deal?
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:25 PM   #9
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Codes or no codes that was an amazing deal.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:27 PM   #10
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post

Correct me if I am wrong, but that seems like an amazing deal?
I agree! Awesome deal.

FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 11:40 PM   #11
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by steaksauce28 View Post
Thanks so much for the info! Hate to keep bumping my own post but just wanted say how appreciative I am of this groups knowledge. Also just checked the headers and they have big SW plates on them so I’m assuming USA. Just reached out to dynosteve for tuning though I’m hoping my current tuner might be able to kick these lights off.
use someone that has a ls3 background just for simplicity....u don't need anymore cel's lol ps the mod the og owner did (4cyl/8cyl) is a vvt delete. u now have a ls3! mention that to ur tuner if ur going with an email tune.
ur California edition superchip is holding back some HP, u might want to change that at some point.
u got a great deal, enjoy!
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:30 AM   #12
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
As others have stated... You got a killer deal at that price. Especially a car with DOD delete, Headers, etc... Get a proper tune, and your light troubles will go away. Enjoy your fun new ride!

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:28 AM   #13
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
As others have stated... You got a killer deal at that price. Especially a car with DOD delete, Headers, etc... Get a proper tune, and your light troubles will go away. Enjoy your fun new ride!
agree, agree, agree. A tune is your magical answer. Great deal on a great care. I have a 2010 SS with only 67k miles on it and lots of mods.
hrpiii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:41 AM   #14
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post

Yeah, I don't see anything even close to that price range around here. A low mileage SS is going for $25k-$40k in my area.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote