Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-28-2022, 12:29 PM   #1
NCF1FTY

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible H50
LT4 build and questions on Piston Ring Gaps

So I'm in the process of building up a new block with LT4 internals and have Diamond Pistons. All the gap recommendations look like with S/C gaps would be .006 or .007xBore which comes out to .024-.028. On the card from Diamond it has .0475 for 1st and 2nd ring and .1192 for oil ring. These just seemed really large for piston ring gaps compared to all the charts I have seen. I have some older pistons and rings from LT4 and their gaps were .025 for first and .012 for second ring. Looking for some recommendations from folks that have done aftermarket forged pistons on LT4 and what they set their gaps at. .0475 seems awfully big along with the oil ring at .1192. Thanks everyone.
NCF1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 02:32 PM   #2
Katech_Mike

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
The numbers your listing from the Diamond spec sheet are the physical size of the ring grooves NOT the recommended gaps.

That's a 1.2M, 1.2M, 3.0M ring pack.

I would recommend taking that engine to an experienced engine builder.
Katech_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 10:15 AM   #3
cajmarorodriguez

Drives: Porsche Panamera
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCF1FTY View Post
So I'm in the process of building up a new block with LT4 internals and have Diamond Pistons. All the gap recommendations look like with S/C gaps would be .006 or .007xBore which comes out to .024-.028. On the card from Diamond it has .0475 for 1st and 2nd ring and .1192 for oil ring. These just seemed really large for piston ring gaps compared to all the charts I have seen. I have some older pistons and rings from LT4 and their gaps were .025 for first and .012 for second ring. Looking for some recommendations from folks that have done aftermarket forged pistons on LT4 and what they set their gaps at. .0475 seems awfully big along with the oil ring at .1192. Thanks everyone.

When it comes to piston ring gaps, it's important to consult the manufacturer's recommendations to ensure proper engine performance and reliability. While general guidelines can provide a starting point, specific engine builds and components may require different clearances.

In your case, Diamond Pistons, the manufacturer of your pistons, has provided recommendations of .0475 for the first and second rings, and .1192 for the oil ring. These values may seem larger compared to some charts or previous pistons you've encountered, but it's crucial to follow the guidelines provided by the manufacturer of your specific pistons.

Diamond Pistons likely has their own engineering and design considerations, which may lead to different ring gap recommendations. They take into account factors such as piston material, thermal expansion, and ring design. Following their recommendations helps ensure optimal performance and longevity of your engine.

If you have any concerns or doubts about the recommended ring gaps, it's best to reach out directly to Diamond Pistons or consult with an experienced engine builder or automotive engineer who has worked with LT4 engines and aftermarket forged pistons. They can provide personalized advice based on their expertise and knowledge of specific components.

Remember, it's important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for piston ring gaps to avoid potential issues such as ring flutter, excessive blow-by, or insufficient sealing, which can adversely affect engine performance and durability.
cajmarorodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote