Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-08-2022, 05:58 PM   #15
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Keep in mind this car has been modded and consider you may be purchasing a problem or two. Be sure and give it a good, semi-aggressive test drive and watch for check engine lights, pay attention to auto trans shift points etc. Sure, the price is reasonable but if you have to pay somebody else to straighten out some quirks you may become frustrated.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:19 PM   #16
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
We just bought our second from a dealer for the same price with 110k. Sounds like a good deal

At least that makes me feel better. Lol
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:52 PM   #17
steaksauce28

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Really appreciate all the help everyone! My biggest concern at the moment was if he used it as a track car with all the mods. Something I had not considered. I’ll see what he says. Not sure if you guys feel like these mods scream track car or just normal mods. I’d imagine 30k miles used as a drag/track would be a little worrisome.
steaksauce28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:14 PM   #18
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Imho, those mods seam pretty reasonable. Lots of us do these mods without necessarily the intent to do track time.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:37 PM   #19
steaksauce28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
Imho, those mods seam pretty reasonable. Lots of us do these mods without necessarily the intent to do track time.
Got it! Thanks. The traction bar assembly was what made me think it could have been used a lot on a drag strip but glad to know that isn’t always the case! I at least have a lot more knowledge and few more good questions to ask the seller.
Old 10-08-2022, 08:03 PM   #20
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by steaksauce28 View Post
I saw an older gentlemen putting a for sale sign on his 2010 SS (Automatic), color black with 36k on the engine. I did notice a few mods and ones he told me about. Has a cold air intake, headers and exhaust are all aftermarket and sound great.

One thing I’m unfamiliar with is he mentioned that he upgraded to a 3.93 gear rear end, flexfuel delete (not sure what this is), traction bar assembly (not sure about this), and superchips tuner (I understand what tuning does but still don’t know much).

Said he’s firm at $16k for it. I did run a carfax. No accidents and he’s the second owner since 2014 and put 30k of the miles on it.
I'd be curious to know what brand of mods he did. Sometimes you will get a car that a person puts more gentle love into with more expensive mods. If it's a K&N cold air intake with Speed Engineering headers and a muffler delete then chances are the car has been beat on a little harder.

As for the gears, I'm not sure there's a manufacturer who makes that gear set. 3.91 is a common gear primarily because it was the factory gear in the 1LE package. As for a "flex fuel delete", these cars don't come flex fuel capable. You have to add a flex fuel sensor and tune to run E85. As for a traction bar, I'm not sure you can do a traction bar on an independent rear suspension unless he's talking about trailing arms and toe rods. Finally, a superchips tuner isn't anything more than a canned tune. I'd personally recommend getting the car tuned by a professional tuner and skipping the superchips tune.

Ultimately $16k for a 2010 SS with those kind of miles really isn't bad as long as the car hasn't been beaten on where it's hurt. Listen for excessive valve train noise so that there isn't lifter failure potential with the AGM/DOD lifters and you should be good to go.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 06:06 AM   #21
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
one thing you didnt mention is the seller. if you are face to face with him ask questions 5th gens dont have traction bars, and the rear gear ratio leads me to believe that he doesnt know his mods, or he is selling for someone else. look it over well. see if it still smells new. my 14 has 45k on it and still smells new. those low miles sounds great. take a drive if possible look for shakes, rattles, whines at various speeds , check the heat and ac lights. go out and if the seller lets you accelerate it. flex fuel delete makes me think the seller doesnt understand what he has
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 07:47 AM   #22
steaksauce28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I'd be curious to know what brand of mods he did. Sometimes you will get a car that a person puts more gentle love into with more expensive mods. If it's a K&N cold air intake with Speed Engineering headers and a muffler delete then chances are the car has been beat on a little harder.

As for the gears, I'm not sure there's a manufacturer who makes that gear set. 3.91 is a common gear primarily because it was the factory gear in the 1LE package. As for a "flex fuel delete", these cars don't come flex fuel capable. You have to add a flex fuel sensor and tune to run E85. As for a traction bar, I'm not sure you can do a traction bar on an independent rear suspension unless he's talking about trailing arms and toe rods. Finally, a superchips tuner isn't anything more than a canned tune. I'd personally recommend getting the car tuned by a professional tuner and skipping the superchips tune.

Ultimately $16k for a 2010 SS with those kind of miles really isn't bad as long as the car hasn't been beaten on where it's hurt. Listen for excessive valve train noise so that there isn't lifter failure potential with the AGM/DOD lifters and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the write up! I’ll try to figure out the part manufacturers. The only mod I can tell the manufacture of is the exhaust which is by stainless works. I’m wondering if he misspoke on the gear set….or if the person before him was the one who added all these mods (like the most recent poster said) and that he doesn’t actually know what he’s saying. Though he did mention that all the mods cost $6500 in total (maybe the guy he bought it from said that).

He did seem honest and genuine enough but did not strike me as mechanically inclined. But if you did $6500 in mods to your Camaro you’d think you would have a few of the receipts (something I haven’t asked about yet).
Old 10-09-2022, 08:27 AM   #23
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
In todays market that seems like a very fair price-if it looks well cared for I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
I have more than $6,500.00 in mods and don't have many of the receipts. Modifications do nothing to add resale value and actually hurt resale just because people think the car has been beat on. There are plenty of factory stock cars that have been beat on so if this looks well cared for go for it and consider the extras as a $6,500.00 bonus.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:48 AM   #24
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Sounds like a great car for the price and hard to pass up.

The only thing I can add is that the Supertune (IIRC) only works with android devices.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:10 AM   #25
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
They really need an upvote feature on this forum software so we don't need to repeat.
I agree with above comments and was going to say what bsn already said.
I would certainly buy it if part of the mods were something to fix the AFM lifter problem, aka a cam and lifter replacement.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:15 AM   #26
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
They really need an upvote feature on this forum software so we don't need to repeat.
I agree with above comments and was going to say what bsn already said.
I would certainly buy it if part of the mods were something to fix the AFM lifter problem, aka a cam and lifter replacement.
Great idea!
I’m always using “+1” for those instances but, that doesn’t move the post to the top.
Old 10-09-2022, 10:08 AM   #27
DavidH

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
For comparison I paid 18.5k for my 2010 2SS/RS with a 6MT and 114k miles. I found a few issues down the road that were not easily detectible during the dest drive and cost me around $400 to fix. IMO I overpaid a bit, but it was the only stock black on black 6MT car I could find in the entire state with a clean Carfax.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 04:32 PM   #28
Gen5_AK

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 2SS LS3
I just paid $22,500 out the door for a 2011 SS 2SS with basically everything except the navigation. Has 64,000 miles on it. M6. Heated leather seats. Sun roof.

I'm also in Alaska, so there's something we can an "Alaska Tax." Basically, same car could be found in the states for $2-3,000 less, but that's not a big enough difference to either go drive it up or ship it. So, hence, the Alaska Tax.
Gen5_AK is offline   Reply With Quote