Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-26-2021, 11:19 PM   #1
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
DIY rally stripes. Save a buncha money.

Here's a simple design that looks good and anyone can do. I'm not a pro wrap guy, just a wrap DIY'er who wants to save money, have fun and change up my stripes frequently.

Materials and tools:
5' x 3' 3M 1080 Vinyl Wrap $38
3M Design Line Knifeless Tape $30 (you will use about $2 worth of it)
Razor knife
Felt squeegee

Heat gun
Infrared thermometer

Tape measures
Masking tape

Car wash/detailing products to clean hood

1. Clean hood thoroughly including underside where the vinyl will be wrapped. Lay out a paper tape measure along the top hood edge. Measure 1.5" on each side of the hood center ridge and mark with masking tape. Lay a straight line of knifeless tape from the 1.5" marks down the hood. Measure along the way and make sure the tape is straight. Lay a line of knifeless tape on the ridges on each side of the hood. Measure to make sure the lines are even.

2. Cut a piece of vinyl 26" x 60". Save the smaller piece for the nose of the car. With the backing still on, lay the 26" x 60" vinyl piece on the hood and tape it down to the hood at the middle.

3. Fold the vinyl piece back halfway and peel off the backing. Pulling it off quicker is better than slower. Cut the paper backing with razor knife at the halfway point and remove. Don't panic if the vinyl sticks to itself or wrinkles. Be cool. It will come apart and wrinkles will come out with heat. Lay the vinyl gently across the hood. The vinyl won't stick until there's pressure from a squeegee.

4. Fold the other half back and do the same.

[
5. Now that the backing paper is off, apply the heat gun on high. Move the gun in circles until the surface reaches about 35-40 degrees Celsius. Let the vinyl cool a few moments then gently try to pull from the edges to get the big wrinkles out. You can lift the vinyl but be careful not to pull up the knifeless tape! If you pull it up, don't panic. Just peel the tape off the vinyl and put it back down.
Apply the heat again to shrink the wrap down to the surface. Let the vinyl cool a few moments and pull gently from the edges so it looks tight. When it looks pretty good, start to squeegee from the middle to the edges. Don't lift your squeegee from the surface, move slowly and watch how the air channels out. Work the vinyl until you have all the air out. Don't make bubbles. Lift the edges if you need to and squeegee out any bubbles. If you get a crease, gently lift the edge, let go of the edge, apply a little heat, let it cool, pull the crease out. Never pull the vinyl while heating.

**Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the wrap nice and tight before pulling the tape!

6. Pull the knifeless tape (watch 3M official video to learn about how to snap the tape.)

Cut the top and bottom edges of the vinyl with razor knife so it will wrap about 1/2" around the edges. Apply heat gun and the squeegee to all the edges.

7. Use the leftover piece and the same techniques to cover the nose piece.

Rally stripes for $40 (OK like $70 since you have to buy a full roll of tape) instead of $200!

Last edited by KirkH; 08-26-2021 at 11:34 PM.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:31 AM   #2
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Very nice work, sir! Oh, wait, you're KirkH, no wonder it looks great!
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:40 AM   #3
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Looks good! Every time I work with any kind of big piece of vinyl or any large sticky adhesive piece I swear wind immediately kicks in and everything flies (and sticks) together and ruins it OR random debris fly right into it and ruins it! Lol.
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #4
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
WOW!!!

All freehand with just long pieces of vinyl. I've done some small fender decals but that was from a kit. I couldn't do what you did. I'd fudge that up in a hurry.
Dangerzoooooone.

Last edited by SSJ455; 08-27-2021 at 09:12 AM.
SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:23 PM   #5
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Very nice work, sir! Oh, wait, you're KirkH, no wonder it looks great!

Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willzilla View Post
Looks good! Every time I work with any kind of big piece of vinyl or any large sticky adhesive piece I swear wind immediately kicks in and everything flies (and sticks) together and ruins it OR random debris fly right into it and ruins it! Lol.

Thanks! I've had it happen before. Most wrinkles and stuck things can be removed with a little heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
WOW!!!

All freehand with just long pieces of vinyl. I've done some small fender decals but that was from a kit. I couldn't do what you did. I'd fudge that up in a hurry.

Thanks, I hope this inspires someone to try it, because it is fun and looks cool.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:40 AM   #6
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I tried my hand at stripes for my original design, I did a little interior stuff on my brothers car but will use this next time I do it. Mine are slightly uneven but I didn’t use painters tape for whatever reason

I’m gonna try to do what this concept did but with white and whenever I can dump hours into it lol

Attached Images

Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:16 PM   #7
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
I’m gonna try to do what this concept did but with white and whenever I can dump hours into it lol

I think this design will be pretty easy. Just run your knifeless tape around the hood vent.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:20 PM   #8
KirkH

Here's a link for how to do fender hash marks.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...&postcount=273
Old 09-01-2021, 10:17 AM   #9
iredlere

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT Coupe
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
I tried my hand at stripes for my original design, I did a little interior stuff on my brothers car but will use this next time I do it. Mine are slightly uneven but I didn’t use painters tape for whatever reason

This design looks so good.
iredlere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #10
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by iredlere View Post
This design looks so good.
I found it from some of their concepts in like 2017, the cars color is Shock Green with vinyl and wheels. I’m just going after the vinyl but like Kirk said it should be easy (easier then my 2 hours per stripe on my original attempt lol)
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:02 PM   #11
KirkH

I finally got around to doing this design. It was very easy. I like it.

[