Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-06-2022, 09:27 AM   #1
ericsmith881

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Best way to spend $3k-$4k

I've got a daily driver (93-octane) 2019 Camaro SS M6 (non-1LE) I'm looking to improve without going completely wild. I also have about $3k-$4k to do it. The question is, what gives the best bang for the buck? Heads/cam or twin turbo is obviously out of the question on this budget...but what *IS* practical?

Looking through this forum, I see some of the following possibilities:
  • Rotofab CAI
  • LT2 intake
  • 92mm MAF
  • Kooks long-tube headers
  • Install all and Custom tune

Anybody know if it's reasonable to do some (or all) the above in $3k-$4k? The Kooks headers alone is probably $1500-$1800 coated but not installed. The custom tune is a must for the headers to avoid CEL. From what I've seen, the Kooks and tune alone should be good for at least 20-30rwhp, probably more.

And can anyone recommend someone to do the above work who's in the Atlanta, Georgia area? Preferably near Marietta?
ericsmith881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:35 AM   #2
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsmith881 View Post
I've got a daily driver (93-octane) 2019 Camaro SS M6 (non-1LE) I'm looking to improve without going completely wild. I also have about $3k-$4k to do it. The question is, what gives the best bang for the buck? Heads/cam or twin turbo is obviously out of the question on this budget...but what *IS* practical?

Looking through this forum, I see some of the following possibilities:
  • Rotofab CAI
  • LT2 intake
  • 92mm MAF
  • Kooks long-tube headers
  • Install all and Custom tune

Anybody know if it's reasonable to do some (or all) the above in $3k-$4k? The Kooks headers alone is probably $1500-$1800 coated but not installed. The custom tune is a must for the headers to avoid CEL. From what I've seen, the Kooks and tune alone should be good for at least 20-30rwhp, probably more.

And can anyone recommend someone to do the above work who's in the Atlanta, Georgia area? Preferably near Marietta?
E85 flex fuel as well (requires a tune so might as well do it same time as the headers and intake and TB)

Not sure which shops in Georgia as I don't live there, but someone will chime in I'm sure.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:49 AM   #3
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
You'll need to add the CAI to the headers and tune as well. I would suggest going with a more budget header to stay in budget.

There are plenty of quality headers for less, and that should get you back in your budget.

I would go to Vengeance Racing without a doubt. Great shop with national recognition.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:54 AM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
pretty near to you. A lot of people on here have used them.
https://vengeanceracing.net/

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #5
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
You'll need to add the CAI to the headers and tune as well. I would suggest going with a more budget header to stay in budget.

There are plenty of quality headers for less, and that should get you back in your budget.

I would go to Vengeance Racing without a doubt. Great shop with national recognition.
I wasn't going to say it, but, this is true, you don't need to blow $2000 on headers to get the same performance gains as Speed Engineering for almost 1/4th the cost.

I have 2" Speed Engineering Headers on my car now. I know the "premium" name brands are just that premium, but in side by side testing there is very little difference between one header vs another. 2" > 1 7/8ths" in terms of you get more bang.

But in general 2" headers are if you plan to boost later more so for higher boost settings.

I spent $3500 on my upgrades: LT Headers (cat delete), CAI, X-Pipe and E85 flex fuel installed and dyno tuned out the door.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
Old 06-06-2022, 10:06 AM   #6
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
I wasn't going to say it, but, this is true, you don't need to blow $2000 on headers to get the same performance gains as Speed Engineering for almost 1/4th the cost.

I have 2" Speed Engineering Headers on my car now. I know the "premium" name brands are just that premium, but in side by side testing there is very little difference between one header vs another. 2" > 1 7/8ths" in terms of you get more bang.

But in general 2" headers are if you plan to boost later more so for higher boost settings.

I spent $3500 on my upgrades: LT Headers (cat delete), CAI, X-Pipe and E85 flex fuel installed and dyno tuned out the door.
You have the build the OP is looking for to a T. Even leaves a little room to add cats if he prefers.

That's how I did my build. First went with Stainless Power headers and cats, then later added the cam. Nobody who knows me would call me frugal, but as you pointed out there is no meaningful difference when it comes to quality headers made of SS and have good fitment. Plenty of cheap options that fit that mold.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:26 AM   #7
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
You have the build the OP is looking for to a T. Even leaves a little room to add cats if he prefers.

That's how I did my build. First went with Stainless Power headers and cats, then later added the cam. Nobody who knows me would call me frugal, but as you pointed out there is no meaningful difference when it comes to quality headers made of SS and have good fitment. Plenty of cheap options that fit that mold.
I've been toying with the idea of finishing the intake manifold with Atomic Air Force and 103 mm TB, along with a T93 TCM Swap kit.

Maybe later I might do the cam.

But I figure by then I'm getting close to the 600 rwhp range and need to be concerned about the drive shaft/axles. If I ever want to launch on some stickies safely that is lol
Old 06-06-2022, 10:29 AM   #8
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Headers + CAI + E85 + Tune
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:07 PM   #9
ZL1Kraut

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
I've been toying with the idea of finishing the intake manifold with Atomic Air Force and 103 mm TB, along with a T93 TCM Swap kit.

Maybe later I might do the cam.

But I figure by then I'm getting close to the 600 rwhp range and need to be concerned about the drive shaft/axles. If I ever want to launch on some stickies safely that is lol
Go with an LT2 manifold. Just as much power as the MSD and a shitload cheaper!
ZL1Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:19 PM   #10
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Kraut View Post
Go with an LT2 manifold. Just as much power as the MSD and a shitload cheaper!
Problem is you can't use a 103mm TB with them. They max out at 95mm I believe.

So bottlenecking occurs.

AF comes standard with 103mm opening. So no bottlenecking which can rob your tune of power gains.

So from CAI to TB I'll have a direct 103mm intake system which is my intention. More Air, more gas, more power gains and less gas mileage
Old 06-06-2022, 01:11 PM   #11
Sindri

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Since OP is trying to work on a budget, I think the LT2 is a better choice. The MSD makes more power overall, but I doubt a stock or bolt-on LT1 engine needs all the extra flow capability of a 103mm TB.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:27 PM   #12
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
Since OP is trying to work on a budget, I think the LT2 is a better choice. The MSD makes more power overall, but I doubt a stock or bolt-on LT1 engine needs all the extra flow capability of a 103mm TB.
A FBO with a 103 mm TB puts them in Hellcat 1/4 mile range with drags. Well at least I've seen a few videos of them pulling high 10's in a 1/4.

A stock charger SRT Hellcat pulls 10.8's with just drags.

So it does matter in terms of optimal power gains as you said, but definitely the LT2 is the more budget friendly route.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:39 PM   #13
pablo0526

Drives: 19 CAMARO SS
Quote:
A FBO with a 103 mm TB puts them in Hellcat 1/4 mile range with drags. Well at least I've seen a few videos of them pulling high 10's in a 1/4.

A stock charger SRT Hellcat pulls 10.8's with just drags.

So it does matter in terms of optimal power gains as you said, but definitely the LT2 is the more budget friendly route.

I have a 19 SS almost fbo just missing a throttle body and i am running an lt2 ported intake with stock throttle body. I have beat cars that are fbo msd and in terms of getting robbed from power i think the most important thing here is how good your tune nd setup are, so for a quicker throttle response from a tb and 1200 for a manifold i dont think its worth the money compared to an lt2 IM.
pablo0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:37 PM   #14
ericsmith881

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Thank you all for the info and amazing suggestions! I'll give Vengeance a call tomorrow.

Questions on headers. Numerous posts suggested going with Speed Engineering headers vs. the Kooks. First, do them come coated? I've always had coated headers on my past rides and it's always been a good investment. Second, their website offers wires and an O2 sensor extension. Are these needed? This car is a daily driver so it needs to pass emissions and not throw CEL's. I presume this means cats are needed? If so, I'm also guessing the stock cats won't fit the headers? Any advice here is appreciated.

Last, I do appreciate the suggestions for E85. I have seen the power gains, but there's practically no E85 stations anywhere near me so it would be hugely inconvenient. I've also read a lot about alcohol fuels necessitating more frequent oil changes which would add to the inconvenience. Maybe a future thing but for now it doesn't feel practical.
ericsmith881 is offline   Reply With Quote