Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 12-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #15
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
I use Turtle wax ice on my hood...no complaints here. I also claybared it earlier this year...no damage whatsoever.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:07 PM   #16
Rekkless

Drives: Carmaro SS 1LE
It all largely depends on the finish you want to achieve.

Wax, Sealant and even Ceramic coating all going to be "safe" to use on your black plastic trim.

But they can and will change their appearance.

The only way to protect and keep the stock look is to use a Matte detailer spray sealant or something in that regards.

However, try putting some wax on the black parts and see if you like it. Wax and Sealants are only temporary and can easily be washed off with either Dawn dish soap or a Strip wash based car shampoo.

You shouldn't need to claybar the matte hood unless you can feel contaminates in it, even then only chemical decontamination should be used like a bug and tar remover, iron remover etc. Same goes for the rest of the car, a Clay bar is a mild abrasive and should only be used if your paint feels rough to the touch during washing the car.

Last edited by Rekkless; 02-25-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Rekkless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:12 AM   #17
NeeDBoosT

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekkless View Post
It all largely depends on the finish you want to achieve.

Wax, Sealant and even Ceramic coating all going to be "safe" to use on your black plastic trim.

But they can and will change their appearance.

The only way to protect and keep the stock look is to use a Matte detailer spray sealant or something in that regards.

However, try putting some wax on the black parts and see if you like it. Wax and Sealants are only temporary and can easily be washed off with either Dawn dish soap or a Strip wash based car shampoo.

You shouldn't need to claybar the matte hood unless you can feel contaminates in it, even then only chemical decontamination should be used like a bug and tar remover, iron remover etc. Same goes for the rest of the car, a Clay bar is a mild abrasive and should only be used if your paint feels rough to the touch during washing the car.
I agree,

I used meguires cleaner wax on the spoiler, mirrors and front splitter, i like to look of it. Adds a bit more gloss to it. The only part im not sure about is the vinyl hood wrap. I intentionally tapped some of the edges while doing the fenders to see how it comes out.

Hopefully it doesn’t dry out or damage it long term but i need to protect it somehow
NeeDBoosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:43 PM   #18
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
I clay the hood on my 13 and clayed the hood on my wife's 22. My 13 has the original wrap. Occasionally I put on Adams VRT.

As far as waxing, the mirrors and spoiler im 99% positive are painted so its all good to wax them but a no, no on the hood. When I polished and coated the car I did not polish the mirrors or spolier however. Didnt see it necessary
Old 02-23-2022, 01:07 PM   #19
tarmelter

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE
I recently used Blackfire Pro Ceramic Coating on my paint and the vinyl. It came out great IMO. It only made the satin black color a little deeper and may have added a slight sheen to it, but it is not glossy by any means. Overall the car looks great.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:27 PM   #20
NeeDBoosT

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmelter View Post
I recently used Blackfire Pro Ceramic Coating on my paint and the vinyl. It came out great IMO. It only made the satin black color a little deeper and may have added a slight sheen to it, but it is not glossy by any means. Overall the car looks great.
Got pics? I want to get this thing ceramic coated
NeeDBoosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 02:25 PM   #21
tarmelter

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE
I will take some pics for sure, but right now she's in the back of my garage waiting for nice weather. I can take some pics in the garage but there isn't enough lighting to take a quality shot to show you.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #22
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
I recently used Zaino All in One and Z-6 on my new Camaro. Used it on the hood as well as the glass and the satin black trim pieces as well. I'll be applying Z-2 at the next wash so I can start layering it on.

I've had great result with Zaino products over the years. My Z probably has 40 coats of Z-2 on it.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:01 AM   #23
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Is it okay to claybar the hood and other matte pieces? Obviously polish would be a no-no.
I tried it, I didn’t like the way it darkened the clay bar, seems like it was removing paint. I say no.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:56 AM   #24
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I use ArmorAll Wash and Wax to clean my car (it also works great for cleaning my 38 special brass).

I use Mequiar's paste wax and I do put it on the black trim including the hood. Usually the first application leaves the hood looking a bit streaky, but once I've buffed off the second application I get a nice shiny black, which matches the spoiler and mirrors a lot better than matte black does.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:15 AM   #25
Newcastle

Drives: 2022 2 SS 1LE on order ....now a 23
For maintenance I use Colonite. Thin layers and it buffs off easily. I suggest joining a detail page on FB.
Newcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:00 AM   #26
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
TIL people still use wax like it's 1995.
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote