Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
WEAPON-X

Drives: ZL1 ATS-V CTS-V C7Z Range Sport SC
Exclamation WEAPON-X "Boost Freeze" Chiller

With a well known name for the best heat exchangers and ancillary cooling mods on the market, we have been working on the next step in cooling for the past year and a half and after testing various combinations, we are finally ready to release our Boost Freeze Chiller! We have developed a complete plug and play system allowing you to tie into your OEM air conditioning system! This is the very first chiller system even available for the gen 6 Camaros, C7 Corvettes, CTS V gen 3s, and the ATS V and we also have the previous gens covered too While this technology is not new, unfortunately to date, chiller kits have always been surrounded by mixed reviews from poorly designed kits with vastly incorrectly sized heat exchanger units, that required the OEM lines and wiring to be cut, brazed, welded, soldered, etc which means you needed someone that specializes in the AC field, and train-wreck forum threads between competing manufacturers bickering, accusations of them copying each other, and on and on. It was apparent that most of these guys were copying someone else's kit as in the end, a lot of consumers couldn't get their kits to work properly and received little support after, resulting in more bad PR for the chiller concept. However, simply put: the proven concept WORKS AMAZINGLY WELL when done properly! To prove this from a neutral source, the highly heralded Dodge Demon has a chiller from the factory, yes factory... we were shocked to see this!

How it works?
A chiller uses the OEM air conditioning system to reach freezing temperatures in the supercharger heat exchanger coolant to remove MORE heat from the compressed boosted air entering the engine, making it denser, allowing for MORE timing, and thus MORE POWER!!! (insert a Tim the Toolman AR AR AR :rofl Now a commonly understood principle is that the cars that run with the AC on lose lots of power during wide open throttle (WOT) for a few reasons, 1 the AMP draw is high, 2 it floods heat into the radiator from the AC hx, and 3 the older units wouldn't destroke themselves when they see this. AC compressors have continued to improve and the one on the LT cars is impressive. Most cars will shut the AC off during WOT for the aforementioned reasons; however, the new ones will actually reduce the stroke on them, not really consuming much power at all. In our testing on an 850whp LT4 Whipple car, we only observed about 20 LB FT of torque down low and and less than 10 WHP up top!

The Benefits
Our kit has a lot of bells and whistles as well and it's plug and play with custom billet fittings we machine in-house. The cabin air conditioning on our kit remains unaffected and still allows you to remain cool inside while your supercharger gets frost bitten too as it includes a cabin diverter valve so you can leave it in 50/50 mode splitting the AC, or put it into 100% HX mode so the supercharger coolant gets all of the BTU capacity to reduce the fluid temps even quicker. The kit also includes a thermostatically controlled valve that bypasses the heat exchanger(s) too because there comes a point when the coolant is below ambient temperature and running it through the aluminum heat exchanger will actually heat up the fluid. Lastly, we an optional have a Bluetooth display that you can adjust your temps and valve with while monitoring just how cold it gets. Consequently, our SPI Kit can also control the Chiller as well.

One of the most unique features of our kit is we have also developed a thermal cooling cell, which needs no ice or anything other than the top secret stuff inside of it LOL.* It serves as two purposes, extra fluid capacity and extra BTU capacity.* As the chilled fluid passes through it after the chiller, it charges the cell and once the fluid starts to heat up from the engine heat transfers that occur over the course of a run where the AC system is taxed by the external heat sources, the fluid is then chilled again by the cell as well to help with longer periods of time.* This really helps the entire system, especially for in times of higher ambient air, longer runs, and other adverse conditions.* A lot of guys have asked about the possibility of running this in road racing, and I didn't want to get into it before we had more product development; however, I do think it is possible on the LT cars.* The main thing that is needed is to insulate all of the lines, fittings, etc and be able to keep the condensation off of the track.* I am very interested in working with a road racer who is savvy when it comes to data logging and being able to provide the necessary data in return.* The kit*

System features
  • Plug and Play hardware for a hassle free installation
  • 100% reversible
  • Requires no tuning changes; however, the PCM calibration can be modified to achieve more power when temps are under a certain threshold (IAT Advance)
  • Insulated chiller unit
  • OEM quality hardware, lines, and fittings
  • Thermostat controlled heat exchanger bypass when temperatures are below ambient
  • Cabin diverter for race mode to channel ALL of the refrigerant to the chiller
  • Bluetooth controller for Temperature monitor and custom programming settings
  • Thermal Cooling cell to store extra BTU capacity
  • Optional WXM Track Attack Heat Exchanger upgrade further more natural cooling

Example
Here is an older version of our Chiller on my 1150whp Gen 6 ZL1. This car is a MONSTER making 1100lbft of torque by 4200 RPMs with an 85mm rear mount turbo pushing through the stock Eaton 1.7L LT4 ported supercharger. It has been an interesting project for sure, we are not spinning the blower crazily at all with a 25% increase, but it's making 14 PSI on the 427 cubic inch LT4 engine as we have MAP sensors at various positions on the kit to log. 14 PSI with only a 25% increase on a 427 with our big valve heads is amazing. All together, the compound boost was around 24 PSI. The air temps coming out of this air to water box with 14 PSI from the turbo, but only 10 PSI after running the length of the car and going through the air to water box was just 46* as it entered the supercharger! So, the more dense air entering the supercharger along with the pushing of that air from the turbo greatly reduced the parasitic loss of the supercharger making the entire system more efficient.

On a test hit I made, the Air Temp post supercharger lobes was 99* at 142 MPH and having gone through 7 gears (10 speed auto). That is astounding at that power level!!

Last edited by WEAPON-X; 08-24-2018 at 10:23 PM.
WEAPON-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Awesome to say the least!!! Can't wait to see pricing and availability....
Old 02-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
ReevZL1

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 A10
Looks like another must have and one of those take my money mods.
ReevZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
I just ordered your thermal reduction plates.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
I just ordered your thermal reduction plates.
You need to bring your car up to Camaro Fest with all the other Houston Camaros.

Fingers crossed WeaponX will be back again this year as well. No better place to learn your car and test it out among other Camaro friends in a track rental type setting.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
Mr Bill

Drives: Camaro 1LE 2017
Rwhp gain ?
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:17 PM   #7
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You need to bring your car up to Camaro Fest with all the other Houston Camaros.

Fingers crossed WeaponX will be back again this year as well. No better place to learn your car and test it out among other Camaro friends in a track rental type setting.
Road track or drag?
Old 02-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #8
TDS

Drives: 2019 Jeep Rubicon Sold:2017 ZL1 A10
Sign me up
Ordered 2/11, 2000 2/14, 3000 2/20, 3100 2/24, 3300 3/7, 3400 3/8, 4300 3/16, 4B00 3/21 Bayed at train yard in Ohio, 4200 3/26 All Abroad for the West Coast, 4800 4/4 Deliverd to portland train yard, 5000 4/7 3:00AM Deliverd to Dealer, 6000 4/7 6:45PM Delivered to Customer
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:22 AM   #9
11bravoss

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Will it work with non oem superchargers
11bravoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #10
Yellow6thGen
18 ZL1 A10 Convertible

Drives: White ZL1 Convertible
If you need a 18 ZL1 Convertible to test with sign me up! What pricing are you looking at for the kit? Also does it chill with the A/C off when racing at least I turn it off so no condensation hits the track.... If it’s going to drip condisation if the track sees a leak they won’t let you race...

2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 @ Kooks R&D.
Yellow6thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow6thGen View Post
If it’s going to drip condisation if the track sees a leak they won’t let you race...
+1 ... where does the consensation go that collects on/in the evaporator?
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #12
WEAPON-X

Drives: ZL1 ATS-V CTS-V C7Z Range Sport SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

We'll be back and my twin charged terror ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
Rwhp gain ?
This depends on your mods. The system allows you to create the perfect scenario for boost, like racing on a cold day! It chills the air going through the supercharger so it's as dense and powerful as possible. Your spark timing map can be optimized to these temperatures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
Road track or drag?
Drag for sure, can't recall if they have any track racing or not. If so I'll bring my in-bound 19 ZR1 too if you guys don't mind a Corvette there

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bravoss View Post
Will it work with non oem superchargers
Absolutely, ANY liquid cooled supercharger system can take advantage of a chiller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow6thGen View Post
If you need a 18 ZL1 Convertible to test with sign me up! What pricing are you looking at for the kit? Also does it chill with the A/C off when racing at least I turn it off so no condensation hits the track.... If it’s going to drip condisation if the track sees a leak they won’t let you race...
We'll have release info next month, just hyping up the product a little bit since we've been playing for a year and this setup on my ZL1 is SO cool - PUN INTENDED

Yes the bluetooth control module allows you to adjust temp on the fly for your thermostat target so you can have a low and high cool setting. I get it with water on the track, but guys ice their blowers down non-stop too and where do you think that condensation goes? On a hot day it will evaporate quickly, you just need to be mindful to chill the system down headed up to the staging lanes and you can cut it off before heading to the line. Anything before the water box should get burned off anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
+1 ... where does the condensation go that collects on/in the evaporator?
down lol
WEAPON-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #13
mrG8

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT with a procharge
Hi Ben, how does this compare to the Interchiller from FI or AI? Any issues with the AC performance? I had the FI in my V and the AC sucked in the summer until I got a fix from AI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #14
crash02

Drives: 2022 ZL1, 2002 Trans Am WS6
Would the chiller negate the need for other cooling mods such as upgraded heat exchangers, thermal reduction plates and ice tanks? If so, then I think this could be one of the best bang for the buck mods depending on final costs.
crash02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chiller, cooling, heat exchanger, hex, pulley