Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
HSLdriver

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
ZL1 1LE cold weather tire advice?

I understand that use in temperatures below 40F and just exposure to temperatures below 20F can permanently damage the factory Goodyear 3Rs.

1) Is this correct (I plan to drive the car probably down to low double digit temperatures)?

2) I would like to get a cold weather wheel and tire set rather than swapping tires on the factory wheels twice a year, but I can't find any low cost/reasonably priced ZL1 1LE-size wheels; any wheel recommendations or advice (I'm especially interested in what worked for you as well as what did not work for you; either 19" or 20" is fine with me but what offsets have worked for you as I haven't seen aftermarket wheels that match the OEM offsets exactly)?

3) Do non-1LE ZL1 wheels/tires fit (I suspect they should--I know this doesn't go the other way around--but a call to Tire Rack indicated their ZL1 wheel options do not fit the ZL1 1LE)?

(I know there is a tire section here but I haven't had luck searching and, as a new ZL1 1LE owner, I really wanted to hear what other ZL1 1LE owners are doing.)
HSLdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:52 AM   #2
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Offsets get confusing to me, but i know one guy in particular that never cares to help with this stuff... PK Auto Design
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Any summer tire, max performance ect comes with that warning! I'm sure it holds truth but, seems like a warning that must be in place to cover manufactures butts for traction and manufactures defects. If its that cold try a all season or pirelli scorpio..mich all weather, bridgestone all weather they will provide better grip.. I wouldn't worry about cracks they wont last long enough to even matter.. unless your putting 100 miles on a year lol and going out 3 miles on the weekend hahaha.. if your doing any hard driving at all the tread life will negate a few cracks lol

look up my name Jack metcalf at discount tire, have them match the 19 MRRs 1le reps its very low they are exact reps.. 3 track days flow forged no problems.. just need different lugs.
or TSW 27mm 5 X 120mm can do 305s all around or stagger.. if you run a crazy amount of camber you need spacer 3mm in front or grind on strut/coil over mount.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
A summer tire needs heat in the tire to work and provide traction. It can't do that in cold weather so it will not hook and damage the tire and also put you and your car at risk.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
The OEM ZL1 1LE tires are like ice skates on the street at temps under 50, I just went for the last cruise of the season before storage this past weekend and they broke loose at minimal throttle. I have Michelin Pilot Sports on both the GT350 and RS and they handle way better than the stock GYs in the cold, but it's the nature of the beast with these tires so it comes with the territory. Check out Tirerack for 1LE fitment alternatives.
Lethal Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Tirerack will show that because you have 19s and reg ZL1 are 20s. Any OEM 20"wheel should fit a ZL1 1LE without a problem. Try the Members Marketplace section. There's lots of 20" takeoffs for sale in there you could mount snows onto to run in the winter.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote