Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-07-2017, 01:07 AM   #1
USP45

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Has anyone seen a write up on cam install?

So I am looking at doing a cam and heads, but I have not seen a write up on doing a cam on a GenV LT1/LT4 anywhere. I did a cam and heads on my 2006 SRT8 Magnum with no issues, and had the engine out of my Evo more times than I can remember doing various mods (started with 2.0 rods and pistons, ended up 2.3 stroker). I guess the point is that I have quite a bit of mechanical experience, but I would still love to see a complete write up or video going over any possible hang-ups, pittfalls, or other things to look out for. Just tonight I read where if you plan on reusing the oil pump that you are supposed to use a special tool EN-51267 so that you can place the oil pump exactly back on the block.

So.... has anyone seen a write up or video concerning the LT1 or LT4? Looking at doing Texas Speed heads and VVT-1 cam in a 2017 ZL1 with a10. Any write up on a GenV LT1 or LT4 would be great.

Oh, and if anyone has a link to shop manual with torque specs that would be a great place to start! Thanks
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:23 AM   #2
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
It's good timing that you bring this up because someone JUST posted the actual GM how to on this in the last few days. The search function isn't working for me right now but it is on here somewhere.

EDIT: found it http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500494
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...-lt1-cam-swap/

It's not exactly what you are asking for but it's in the same ballpark.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
USP45

Thanks gentlemen, much appreciated!

I have to go to San Marcos for drill today and am going to stop by Texas Speed on the way. Looks like it might be about time to get this ball rolling!
Old 07-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
Thanks gentlemen, much appreciated!

I have to go to San Marcos for drill today and am going to stop by Texas Speed on the way. Looks like it might be about time to get this ball rolling!
TSP just released some new integrated valve seals, so you might want to inquire about that. Also, any reason why not opting for their stage 2 Cam?
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
USP45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
TSP just released some new integrated valve seals, so you might want to inquire about that. Also, any reason why not opting for their stage 2 Cam?
I talked to them briefly on Wednesday. From what was indicated the VVT2 cam would be too aggressive for the a10 transmission without going to a higher stall converter, otherwise I would. Just do not want an ill mannered car bucking against the converter while idling..

But thanks for the heads up on the seals! I would assume that they would already be on the heads (taking my heads in to them to be done) when I pick them up, but will certainly ask.

I also just read that the camshaft position solenoid bolt has to be replaced when you change the cam. I have never seen this mentioned, nor have I seen this as part of a cam kit, but the shop manual says it has to be replaced. I will ask them about it.

I want to *try* to have all of my ducks in a row before I dig into it. They are all just nuts and bolts, but every car has their own little tips and tricks to make life easier. I know on the C7 you have to lift the engine or drop the cradle to drop the oil pan in order to get the oil pump off, do not know if this is necessary on the Camaro or not.

When I do everything I will take many, many pictures and probably do a write up.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #7
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
I talked to them briefly on Wednesday. From what was indicated the VVT2 cam would be too aggressive for the a10 transmission without going to a higher stall converter, otherwise I would. Just do not want an ill mannered car bucking against the converter while idling..

Makes sense. AFAIK, you do not need to pull the engine for a head/cam swap, but I am not sure if that is true on a ZL1, since you mentioned having an a10.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote