The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #1
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
1970 Camaro

I was watching Horsepower TV and the project the guys have been working on is restoring a base 1970 Camaro RS 307 automatic to the beast of an RS/SS 396 with the Muncie Rock Crusher 4 speed. It got me seriously thinking about a few things......

1. The '70 RS/SS 396 with that Holley 4 bbl may be the best Camaro until at least the 4th gen as far as pure performance. It was all down hill after the emission controls came into play.

2. This is subjective but I think it's one of the best looking Camaros of all, including the 6th gen - especially with that split grill design only available with the RS package. It was low, long, and wide. Quite a departure from the 1st gen '67-'69 more upright and shorter appearance that the 5th and 6th gens are based off of.

3. The exhaust note of the modern Camaros is tuned but that note on that 396 is all natural, the sound of leaded gas exploding inside real Detroit iron.

I just thought I'd share my thought on this after watching it. Kinda makes me want to restore one myself.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote