Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-25-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
Z28GTOSSMike

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS
Taking regular SS to the track

I just recently purchased a 19 1SS and was just curious how many people take their standard SS to the track. I have to admit I really wish I could have gotten into a 1LE this time but it just wasn't in the cards. I hate to complain as this car is so much more than anything I have ever owned but man those 1LE's look awesome. Maybe next time.
Z28GTOSSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:13 AM   #2
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I see plenty of regular SS out at various tracks, just do all of the proper track prep and you will be fine! The SS is great fun on track, the 1LE is just a bit more fun haha
Old 04-25-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
Z28GTOSSMike

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to give it a try. I didn't buy this car just to look at it and it sure looks like a lot of fun.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #4
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Mike dont worry about it!
At this point you should just be interested in "seat time"

If I was to do it all over again I buy a plain jane model and and strip the bitch!
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #5
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I started in a 16 1SS and took it to the track, even though it's not a 1LE it's still great fun and good for learning how to drive at the limit. Here's what I needed to do on mine (and I assume what you'd need to do for yours) to get it track ready if you haven't seen it already:

1. Dot 4 brake fluid. Probably most important thing to do so you don't boil fluid and lose brakes on track.

2. Track brake deflectors. Not sure if the 19 SS came with them or not, but they're large plastic ducts that go on the front control arms to deflect air at the brakes from under the car. Also needed to keep fluid from boiling.

3. 5w-40 or 0w-40 Dexos2 oil. My manual recommended Valvoline MST SynPower, but anything that matches that weight and has Dexos2 certification should maintain warranty assuming they didn't change it in the 19 manual.

4. Diff fluid. If you haven't already done the post break-in diff fluid change, do that before hitting the track. I don't remember off the top of my head if the regular LSD rear ends require another flush after the first track day or not, but it wouldn't hurt to do that as well if you're able to.

5. Track alignment. This one isn't absolutely needed, but if you hit the track on a semi-regular basis it'll keep tread wear more even and make the car handle better than if you go out on the factory alignment.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
Z28GTOSSMike

I have only had the car about 2 months so I am still becoming one with it. I have been a huge race fan my entire life but never had the chance to drive on a track...other than a drag strip with my old 05 GTO. This car seems to want you to drive very smoothly whereas my GTO would let you get that thing all kinds of sideways. It was lots of fun but I realize that is not how to go fast so I would really like to learn from people that know how to get around a track properly. Now that I have this car and keep reading about all fun everyone is having I feel I must give it a try. I want to be super comfortable with the car before I give it a try.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Whats even more looney is regular SS convertible on track! Get the break-in miles on it, and do some of the basic track prep as mentioned and you will very happy becoming one with the car...Enjoy!!
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #8
Z28GTOSSMike

How many miles are recommended before tracking the car? Has about 1600 now.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
1600 is perfect.

Like others recommended, do an oil change to 5w-40 or 0w-40 dexos 2 and rear diff fluid change.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
taking mine to fontana aka autoclub speedway next weekend and auto x this weekend

upgraded fluid and lines

track deflector kit

upgraded pads if you want

better tires/suspension

all help but not all are needed lol
Old 04-26-2019, 06:48 PM   #11
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28GTOSSMike View Post
I have only had the car about 2 months so I am still becoming one with it. I have been a huge race fan my entire life but never had the chance to drive on a track...other than a drag strip with my old 05 GTO. This car seems to want you to drive very smoothly whereas my GTO would let you get that thing all kinds of sideways. It was lots of fun but I realize that is not how to go fast so I would really like to learn from people that know how to get around a track properly. Now that I have this car and keep reading about all fun everyone is having I feel I must give it a try. I want to be super comfortable with the car before I give it a try.
The thing about HPDE events is that as a novice you're not being pushed to drive past your comfort zone. I'd say as soon as you're ready to drive trough highway entrance and exit ramps a bit faster than officially suggested, you're probably ready. If you're still a little uncertain, at least try a paced lead-follow session if that's offered.

Understand that it's quite a bit different from what your street driving has been teaching you. Example 1 - staying near the center of the pavement like you generally stay near the center of your lane on the street isn't it (and I mention this based on first-hand observation). Example 2 - at this stage it's mostly not about giving the throttle the boot as soon as the track straightens out.

Just so you know, I was well into my sixties before taking to the track in my own car, though I'd done a couple of "driving experiences" when I was somewhat younger. It's never too late.

Norm
Old 04-26-2019, 08:22 PM   #12
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Track Days are fun

Therefore you should try one. Assuming you have not yet participated go to one as a spectator. If you feel safe ask the event organizers for a ride along. If you feel safe with this then take your SS Camaro to same organizers next track day and register as a driver. *******Purchase HPDE track day insurance before the event***** I wouldn't prep the car at all, it is new and should be in good working order. All cars must be inspected before allowed on the track. Arrive early and ask an event organizer to inspect the car with you just to be sure. You are not there to push the limits of the car or yourself. You are there to have fun and learn the car and the track and how to properly drive on the track. If you are pushing the limits of the car on your first track day you are exceeding your limits as a driver and endangering yourself and others. Do not do this. Make the car dance. Let the experienced drivers in the Miatas pass you buy with a friendly point by. If you are chewing up your tires or boiling your break fluid you are driving too fast. Slow down and enjoy. After a few events you may choose to move up from the beginner group and then prep your car. Stay safe, enjoy and have fun. it is not a race, it is an educational event.

To answer your question most participants will be driving inferior cars to your SS Camaro so you can be very sure you have enough car. Your number one job is to stay safe so that your car leaves the event in the same condition it entered and you are ready for the next event.

Tires and brake pads get used up pretty quick on the track so inspect frequently and replace as needed.

I am taking my Camaro SS to Road America tomorrow. Can't wait. Hopefully no snow.

Cheers,

Jeff
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:05 PM   #13
Z28GTOSSMike

Thanks Jeff. All sounds like good advice and I appreciate all the helpful tips. I am in no hurry to break any records or pretend I am a race car driver...I'm not. I just want to have some fun, learn from the professionals and bring my car home in one piece.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #14
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
This is the perfect approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28GTOSSMike View Post
Thanks Jeff. All sounds like good advice and I appreciate all the helpful tips. I am in no hurry to break any records or pretend I am a race car driver...I'm not. I just want to have some fun, learn from the professionals and bring my car home in one piece.
Glad I could be of help. Here is a link to a video I shared previously on the forum. No record setting pace for me but lots of fun and smiles! https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538598
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote