Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-12-2023, 11:10 AM   #1
TVDHVE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Electric Power Steering Issue

Hello, everyone. I made an account on this forum as a last resort to my issues I’m having on my Camaro. I’ll jot down every detail I have on my issue.

I own a 2014 Camaro 2SS Engine Code J, naturally aspirated. It has not even 50k miles on it. Here’s what happened.

I was pulling into the DMV (ironic) parking spot when, completely and instantly, the power steering failed and a ‘Service Power Steering, Drive With Care’ message popped up on my instrument cluster. No noise, no vibration or jarring, just here one moment and just gone the next.

After I got it to the shop (which was a bicep workout let me tell you), I plugged my OBD reader into it and I pulled my codes.

The two codes pulled were:

C0475 — Electric Steering Motor Circuit Malfunction
C0800 — Device #1 Power Low

After researching, I saw on this forum that a lot of people are suggesting a ground issue. The ground to the EPS is located under/next to the negative post on the driver side right next to the air box. After I checked my battery, which was slightly corroded at the posts (which I cleaned and dielectric greased), I also cleaned and greased the ground in the trunk and the ground on the EPS.

This did not solve my issue.

So, I reached down and felt each harness connection on the EPS itself, of which there are three of. Each one felt completely fine and connected quite well.

After continued research, I’ve found that a couple of things may have occurred. Either the EPS computer hiccuped and now requires a system recalibration, or the Wheel Angle Sensor failed. While my battery is indeed getting old, it’s a darned decent battery and still shows 13.4-ish volts and cranks the engine just fine so I don’t believe it’s the issue.

The EPS doesn’t have a fuse in a box, as far as I’ve found. I can see that it is protected via a 125A inline fuse directly off of the positive battery post under the hood.

Given my diagnostic efforts so far, I have been fruitless.

Any chance that someone here can shed some light on what I can do to get me back on the road without blowing my biceps off of my arms (haha)?

Any information would be highly appreciated!
TVDHVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 10:42 PM   #2
TVDHVE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Update: After today’s efforts to clear the codes (from a tip I found about how sometimes chevy’s will mistake a history code for a current code), a new code showed up. C056D. This code seems pretty cut and dry Power Steering Control Module fault.

I hope it narrows my issue down. I’ll update when I can.
TVDHVE is offline   Reply With Quote