Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-01-2023, 08:19 AM   #155
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
You would think the foam covering would provide a better seal against the heater and evap cores than just the plastic blend door? Could you tell if the aluminum door was flat on both sides or did it have the pattern grooves on the evap core side and just the raised humps on the heater core side?
It seemed flat, unlike the plastic door with patterned grooves. I'm thinking I reversed the relative hot/cold positions of the door and the temp dial. A battery disconnect seemed to correct 'most' of the errors. It probably needs a scan tool calibrate. I'll get motivated next summer!

Another possible long-term concern is the foam dry rotting over time. Hopefully not.

Name:  blend door.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  132.3 KB
Old 12-01-2023, 01:46 PM   #156
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
It seemed flat, unlike the plastic door with patterned grooves. I'm thinking I reversed the relative hot/cold positions of the door and the temp dial. A battery disconnect seemed to correct 'most' of the errors. It probably needs a scan tool calibrate. I'll get motivated next summer!

Another possible long-term concern is the foam dry rotting over time. Hopefully not.

Attachment 1141915
I had same thoughts about the foam sealant. I found this info from the vendor about their door and sealant https://www.blenddoorusa.com/pages/why-us

Still wonder why eom door has the groves on the evap side? Maybe for support (yea how’s that working out) just like the groves on the bottom of the intake manifold which is also hard plastic.

Last edited by camguynj; 12-02-2023 at 06:42 AM.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 04:44 PM   #157
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
I had same thoughts about the foam sealant. I found this info from the vendor about their door and sealant https://www.blenddoorusa.com/pages/why-us

Still wonder why eom door has the groves on the evap side? Maybe for support (yea how’s that working out) just like the groves on the bottom of the intake manifold which is also hard plastic.
Well, that's good to know about the foam being synthetic. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:45 PM   #158
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
I’ve made it 10 years (2014 vert), about to sell it and the now it fails. Is there an arm or something that I can see moving to check and make sure it’s the door and not something else?
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 01:19 PM   #159
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoomba View Post
I’ve made it 10 years (2014 vert), about to sell it and the now it fails. Is there an arm or something that I can see moving to check and make sure it’s the door and not something else?
I believe one of the videos posted either here or on YouTube on the subject shows a guy putting a bore scope in a hole where some sort of sensor went. I think it's the "737 Mechanic" guy. Not certain.

It's towards to beginning of the video. He confirms it needs a new door. Good luck, man. It was no fun!

EDIT: About 1 minute in - https://youtu.be/4CmSZka0RUs?si=h2Nr6sYQDfoOZUbN
Old 12-20-2023, 08:38 PM   #160
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I ordered two flapper doors from Rockauto.com for about 13 bucks each. Genuine GM Junk. But it's still a replacement door I know for sure should fit it. Not currently having any issues with the blend doors on either car, but have a new one on hand for each because as soon as they break, with my luck, the GM doors will be discontinued.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 02:35 PM   #161
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
I ordered two flapper doors from Rockauto.com for about 13 bucks each. Genuine GM Junk. But it's still a replacement door I know for sure should fit it. Not currently having any issues with the blend doors on either car, but have a new one on hand for each because as soon as they break, with my luck, the GM doors will be discontinued.
Thanks for the heads up. It’s OEM but it’s cheaper. One observation, it looks like the actuator moves 90 degrees but the flap only goes about 75. That what the other guys are talking about and why it breaks?
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:27 PM   #162
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I finally got around to climbing under the dash and checking my blend door. When I removed the blend door motor, the blend door seemed to still be all in one piece and I could turn it (to actuate it) with my hand no problem.
With the actuator motor removed and the car running I ran it from warm to cold and watched the actuator motor function as it should slowly spinning the piece that engages with the blend door.
When the car is running, I could manually (by hand) actuate the blend door and sure enough the air would blow cold, when I'd let go of the blend door and let it drop, the air returned to warm.

Test driving it to the parts store and back, with the air on the coldest setting, it still is inconsistent and will fluctuate from ambient air to cold back to ambient etc.

I spent $50 on a can of the r134a refill refrigerant thing from auto zone and attempted to recharge the system, but it had plenty of refrigerant and the needle pointed to the red saying something else was an issue.

Maybe a line is clogged? I guess my only next choice is to take it to an A/C repair shop here in the Scottsdale area and try to have them diagnose the issue.
Through process of elimination I cannot think what else could be an issue other than maybe a clogged line in the system or something?
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote