Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-26-2024, 06:20 AM   #15
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Oh, a word about GM and discontinued parts- there is no "master list" of discontinued parts. And even if there were, that list couldn't be updated fast enough to keep up. They drop parts CONSTANTLY and without regard to notifications to dealerships all the time. Dealership orders it, and GMSPO will let them know. It's faster now since computerized systems and tech have improved, but trust me, one minute the part is available, the next it's gone.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:04 AM   #16
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
This is exactly how YearOne got started. Manufacturers were selling of truckloads of their NOS parts, someone recognized the value and started a company based on it. Then they started making parts themselves. There will be demand for replacement parts from the aftermarket and they will respond, but right now we are where the muscle car guys were in the 80s, not enough aftermarket replacement parts and OEM parts disappearing. I'm not sure what kind of support we will ever get on some of the electronic items and apparently it is impossible to build axles capable of 500+whp for under 2k.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:42 AM   #17
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Most of our cars are atleast 10 years old. Some are close. Some of the parts disparity is because of the number of accidents that we have in todays world. Some of it is also because if they keep making parts to keep your old car alive, then you won't go and buy a new car. The aftermarket will come up alot of new parts when these cars are a bit older, and demand for parts is higher. It's all about profit. For example Hawks motorsports is constantly making new aftermarket parts for thirdgens, but that is because the demand is really high as that is one of the new "hotrod" "ls swap" cars.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:43 AM   #18
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
It is likely that plastic parts will have to be 3D printed.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:16 AM   #19
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSdude08 View Post
has anyone here had any difficulty getting OEM parts?

an example being the chevy SS, just real basic stuff is discontinued like
rear shocks and rear sway bar end links, body panels like fenders, bumper covers
and I’m sure all the small stupid stuff like window motors or trunk latches are discontinued too

used SS stuff is out there but i’ve seen prices upwards of $3000 for a complete front bumper, so expensive is an under statement

so we have any problems with that?
just the sheer number of 5th gens out there will hopefully be enough to never have these problems
I brought this issue up a few years ago. It was shocking to see how many parts were discontinued on my 2015. Now it's even worse from what I just seen last night. It's literally like I have a 30+ year old classic car yet it's less than 10 years old. I checked out Nissan for my 2012 Altima and Mazda for my 2011 Mazda 3 for comparison. I would venture to guess that roughly 90-95%% of the parts are still available. I also noticed the parts being discontinued extensively on my 2011 Silverado I had up until last year. It's clear as day that GM has zero interest keeping up with parts support. It's just another reason why I'm done with the clowns running the place and have moved on from gm...��
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:21 AM   #20
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
I brought this issue up a few years ago. It was shocking to see how many parts were did continued on my 2015. Now it's even worse from what I just seen last night. It's literally like I have a 30+ year old classic car yet it's less than 10 years old. I checked out Nissan for my 2012 Altima and Mazda for my 2011 Mazda 3 for comparison. I would venture to guess that roughly 90-95%% of the parts are still available. I also noticed the parts being discontinued extensively on my 2011 Silverado I had up until last year. It's clear as day that GM has zero interest keeping up with parts support. It's just another reason why I'm done with the clowns running the place and have moved on from gm...👍
If I didn't love the ls platform so much I can honestly say that I would be tempted to move to a new car genre. I think GM is doing alot of things wrong, and the new woke movement, leaves a bad taste in my mouth but... I am not the type to buy a new vehicle everytime a new one comes out so I am not the customer that they care about.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:34 AM   #21
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
I've warned those over on Camaro6 what's coming a few times over the past few years. Most over there seem to think it's all good and it's a non issue for that group lol. Many use the B.S..10 year federal law for parts excuse. I'm just gonna sit back, wait and enjoy watching the show when it starts. It's coming for them as well in the near future....facts
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:46 AM   #22
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Honestly I have heavily debated with selling my 5th gen to get back into an ls swapped Thirdgen. I do really like the creature comforts of the 5th gen though. I also feel like for the regular enthusiast such as myself, things are more intimidating with the 5th gen compared to an older car. I am a thirdgen fanatic though, to me nothing compares.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:30 PM   #23
SSdude08

Drives: In the market!
so it sounds like it’s a GM thing really, like i mentioned the SS sedan, limited production as it is already, it’s impossible to get anything for those cars
so just GM dropping the ball entirely and making these things disposable
SSdude08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 02:48 PM   #24
SS_Dave

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy pilot View Post
For a year I have been looking for this new part,Cruise Switch - GM (92219335)
Discontinued Product.No Longer Available For Purchase.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/355112039798
SS_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:54 PM   #25
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

The 10 year "rule" was more of a guideline. When GM had a larger market share and was flush with cash, storing parts wasn't that big of an issue. Everything was/is a business decision. In reality, they've long moved to the point of more like 5 years thereabouts. With the only REAL parts continuing to be made are ones that fit later models, and also ones that are still required for any lingering warranty stuff (like the ZL1 blowers still needed to be available for the snout spring issue that they warranted as well as the cat converter deal). But even those are over now so once they're gone, they're gone.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
Old 03-27-2024, 12:57 AM   #26
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Dave View Post

Used,I want a new one.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:31 AM   #27
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy pilot View Post
Used,I want a new one.
Then you're going to have to turn over more rocks. Becomes infinitely harder as time goes by.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:04 AM   #28
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
I've warned those over on Camaro6 what's coming a few times over the past few years. Most over there seem to think it's all good and it's a non issue for that group lol. Many use the B.S..10 year federal law for parts excuse. I'm just gonna sit back, wait and enjoy watching the show when it starts. It's coming for them as well in the near future....facts
It's already happening for the 6th Gens. You are starting to see threads where their parts are no longer available.

I don't think Mary Barra sees muscle car enthusiasts as a GM market anymore, but given the publics reluctance to purchase EVs, that vision does not bode well for GM. Meanwhile, OSW is loaded with Hellcats. I've never seen so many street cars running in the 10s.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discontinued, parts availability