Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
jonholloway500

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2ss
Turbocharger V. Supercharger V. Procharger

I have been looking for a boost in power for my 2017 2SS, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for a good boost in power (it's my daily, so I wanna be able to drive it on the street, but still have fun) but also cost-efficient. What is y'all's advice on this?
jonholloway500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:04 PM   #2
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Search more, post less.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #3
BLACK21SS
Oldman w/a teenager brain

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post
Search more, post less.
Why so much trolling by you today? If you dislike it here so much, you can always sign out and leave.

Last edited by BLACK21SS; 03-22-2021 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Responding to a troll
BLACK21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:57 PM   #4
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
There’s pros & cons to each, of course, so it’s mostly subjective.

Roots/Whipple are pretty straightforward. Excellent torque curves. Relatively easy install.

Centrifugals are a bit more complex & take up more room in the bay.

Turbos are more complicated/ time consuming to install, but offer a lot of advantages over belt driven.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:10 PM   #5
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
If you want a quick, easy, relatively simple setup then most likely the PD blowers (Whipple, Edelbrock, Magnuson, etc) are the best bet. They are all pretty easy to install, easy to tune, make great DD power, and they are not too expensive. You do not need to go crazy with these setups. You'll easily get 550+ to the wheels and have no issues.

Centri blowers might be a little cheaper. They typically run much cooler IATs and due to the way they deliver power, you'll have a very streetable car with some crazy punch on the top end. They also are easy to install and very simple to tune.

Turbos are neither simple nor easy. And they cost quite a bit. Yea yea "but I can get a turbo setup for $4500 and then self install it"...let me know how that works out for ya. Once you start adding on upgraded parts and this and that the price will much higher. Installs are a pain in the ass. And the tuning is not as simple. I would stay away from this unless you know what you're getting yourself into and have done all your homework on them. This would be more for advance builders and modders who are on built blocks and such.

I think your best bet is to figure out how much you wanna spend and go there. Centris might be the best way to go. if you ask me.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:15 PM   #6
jonholloway500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
If you want a quick, easy, relatively simple setup then most likely the PD blowers (Whipple, Edelbrock, Magnuson, etc) are the best bet. They are all pretty easy to install, easy to tune, make great DD power, and they are not too expensive. You do not need to go crazy with these setups. You'll easily get 550+ to the wheels and have no issues.

Centri blowers might be a little cheaper. They typically run much cooler IATs and due to the way they deliver power, you'll have a very streetable car with some crazy punch on the top end. They also are easy to install and very simple to tune.

Turbos are neither simple nor easy. And they cost quite a bit. Yea yea "but I can get a turbo setup for $4500 and then self install it"...let me know how that works out for ya. Once you start adding on upgraded parts and this and that the price will much higher. Installs are a pain in the ass. And the tuning is not as simple. I would stay away from this unless you know what you're getting yourself into and have done all your homework on them. This would be more for advance builders and modders who are on built blocks and such.

I think your best bet is to figure out how much you wanna spend and go there. Centris might be the best way to go. if you ask me.
Thank you so much! This helps a ton
Old 03-22-2021, 08:17 PM   #7
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
FWIW, I have a Procharger P1X running about 8 psi. Very streetable but hang on when it hits 3500+ rpms.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:28 PM   #8
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonholloway500 View Post
I have been looking for a boost in power for my 2017 2SS, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for a good boost in power (it's my daily, so I wanna be able to drive it on the street, but still have fun) but also cost-efficient. What is y'all's advice on this?
Send your blower to Kong or jokerz to get ported ($1300), install a 103MM throttle body ($650), put a 10% lower pulley ($500) and a Roto-fab air intake ($450) on it and get it tuned ($850/1000).
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:36 PM   #9
jonholloway500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Send your blower to Kong or jokerz to get ported ($1300), install a 103MM throttle body ($650), put a 10% lower pulley ($500) and a Roto-fab air intake ($450) on it and get it tuned ($850/1000).

I’m sorry, I’m really new to all this. Could you explain a little more? I’m a tad bit confused...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2021, 08:46 PM   #10
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
He has a SS, not a ZL1. And that would do nothing but make his IATs soar sky high and waste money in the process.
Quote:
I’m sorry, I’m really new to all this. Could you explain a little more? I’m a tad bit confused...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ignore that. That was info for the ZL1 guys since our cars have a blower in it. But not many of us bother with the stock blower anyway because it is way too small and will have high IATs. Most of us who want big gains and an efficient setup just swap it out for a bigger blower.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:11 PM   #11
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK21SS View Post
Why so much trolling by you today? If you dislike it here so much, you can always sign out and leave.
...today? He's a resident troll

Quote:
Listen to Blaq, he made some very good points. Since I'm not an expert myself either, I'll try to add some color in very simple terms, and will happily take corrections from the real pros.

A twin turbo setup such as the Hellion kit is the best and most powerful, but also the most complex, expensive and (from what I hear) the most risk and failure prone on the Camaro.

A positive displacement (PD) supercharger (such as Whipple, Magnuson or Edelbrock) is not unlike replacing your 6.2 liter naturally aspirated engine with a 8-9-10 liter engine, torque and horsepower curves are shifted up almost perfectly, except for the lowest and highest parts of the rpm range. If you don't go crazy with these, they are extremely stable and the safest solution in my opinion. I have one of these, a Magnuson 2300 kit tuned to 7.5 psi of boost, which is safe for the stock LT1 engine and yields ZL1 power, give or take 10-15 hp.

A centrifugal supercharger (such as a Procharger kit) is similar to a turbo in that it gradually "develops" more and more torque as engine rpm increases, up to a point of course, so it can give you a similar "kick" feel in the middle of the rev range. I personally didn't choose this route for a major and a minor reason: one, I don't want the car to break loose once it hooked already because of a large "torque jump", and if it's tuned "safely", low end torque would probably be unimpressive; and two, very-very subjectively speaking, to me they look like some nerf turbo kit dumped into the engine bay.

All three are viable routes, I wouldn't recommend a twin turbo setup for just street driving because of how costly and finicky they seem to be, the choice between the other two is a matter of preference.

In all honesty, the only cost effective approach is to leave the car stock, but then the bug has probably already bitten you, so...

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:34 PM   #12
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
He has a SS, not a ZL1. And that would do nothing but make his IATs soar sky high and waste money in the process.
A ported blower does not result in unmanageable IAT nor does a 10% pulley.

Quote:
Ignore that. That was info for the ZL1 guys since our cars have a blower in it. But not many of us bother with the stock blower anyway because it is way too small and will have high IATs. Most of us who want big gains and an efficient setup just swap it out for a bigger blower.
You say "swap it out" as if it's akin to an oil change when it's actually a costly piece of work. I suggested a ported blower because I understand him to be saying he has a limited budget.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:44 PM   #13
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:

How many turbo systems have you personally built & tuned?

Be specific.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 03-22-2021 at 10:55 PM.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:05 AM   #14
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
A ported blower does not result in unmanageable IAT nor does a 10% pulley.
I never said it was. I said they will be sky high and it is a waste of money. Is it manageable? Sure. Will it still be high? Yup. Is it better to have a more efficient setup that can make much more power on pump gas alone without spinning the hell out of it and needing chillers and E85 and race gas and meth? That's up to you.

Quote:
You say "swap it out" as if it's akin to an oil change when it's actually a costly piece of work. I suggested a ported blower because I understand him to be saying he has a limited budget.
He never said he was on a limited budget. He said "cost efficient" which carries a completely different meaning. Pulley and port a stock blower will not be cost efficient when he ends up spending as much if not more than someone who did things properly and got a complete package along with a blower swap and is making more power much easier than he is. And then when he gets sick of that little 1.7 blower running high IATs all the time and ends up swapping it out then all that money he spent on it will have been even more of a waste. Take the time and do things the proper way and things will be much more cost efficient. I'd rather spend a little more money and end up with an 800+ RWHP setup on pump gas that can be turned up to quadruple RW numbers if I wanted to in the future than to try and stretch the smallest blower on the planet out to within an inch of it's life. But that is ZL1 talk and does not apply to the SS that OP has.

Tags
boost, pro charger, speed, super charger, turbo charger