Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
Hero_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2.0T RS
Injen EVO7300 vs Injen PF7017WB?

Hey Guys,

I was thinking of buying a cold air intake Im leaning towards injen due to the good reviews that I've heard but I'm really confused between the two..

Any advice would help
Hero_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
The Evo is a closed unit so you won't hear the blow-off recirculation noise but won't get the same engine compartment heat soak. There are ways to make the Open Box Wrinkle black sealed from drawing in engine bay heat. So you need to ask yourself the simple question do you want that itsy bit more performance with the Evo or the sound of the Open-Box design.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:21 AM   #3
Hero_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
The Evo is a closed unit so you won't hear the blow-off recirculation noise but won't get the same engine compartment heat soak. There are ways to make the Open Box Wrinkle black sealed from drawing in engine bay heat. So you need to ask yourself the simple question do you want that itsy bit more performance with the Evo or the sound of the Open-Box design.
I think you can still use the evo without the box but here is what I'm really confused about Mr Evil Bee. I'm not really familiar with the cold air intakes and I was hoping that you'd be able to give me an insight on making the right decision between the two...Why is it that the open box design is more expensive in price than the evo if it gives +26.0 HP/Torque Gains +27.0 ft. lbs as compared to 34.0 HP/Torque Gains +42.0 ft. lbs is it all for the looks? and what is the engine compartment heat soak exactly is it a dangerous thing that might damage my engine bay if I pick the wrong product...The other thing that comes in mind is an Oil Catch Can do I really need one if I'm only installing a CAI?? I hope you can give me some advice cuz your more familiar with the platform than I do..
Hero_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #4
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Camaro View Post
I think you can still use the evo without the box but here is what I'm really confused about Mr Evil Bee. I'm not really familiar with the cold air intakes and I was hoping that you'd be able to give me an insight on making the right decision between the two...Why is it that the open box design is more expensive in price than the evo if it gives +26.0 HP/Torque Gains +27.0 ft. lbs as compared to 34.0 HP/Torque Gains +42.0 ft. lbs is it all for the looks? and what is the engine compartment heat soak exactly is it a dangerous thing that might damage my engine bay if I pick the wrong product...The other thing that comes in mind is an Oil Catch Can do I really need one if I'm only installing a CAI?? I hope you can give me some advice cuz your more familiar with the platform than I do..
I'll try breaking this down as best i can for you.

Engine Compartment Heat Soak is the hot air your compartment produces because the engine, turbo and downpipe give off a ton of radiant heat under operating temperatures. With the Open-Box design it isn't sealed from the air filter so along with the cold air your drawing in you will ultimately pull in hotter air aswell. The Evo is a closed unit that only draws air in through the grill so theoretically only cold air although plastic does heatsoak as well. Nothing here will harm your engine or it's longevity in fact the cooler air keeps the engine from overheating more then the stock airbox theoretically as the CAI are drawing in more of it then the stock airbox unit. One thing we've learned over the years is do not take manufacturers power claims to heart at all. Another is whatever power increase you feel or may feel isn't on top of the 275chp/295chp engine rated power. What your putting to the wheels is generally depending on car and environment anywhere between 240 and 260 wheel horse power and the intake and or downpipe if you get one will shorten that gap considerably from crank/engine hp and wheel hp which is what your feeling.

As far as price it depends entirely on who you buy from and your in canada so you'll need to deal with that mess.. A solid bet seeing you live in canada is find a friend in the US if your close to the border and visit them or meet halfway to avoid International import shipping. Outside of that call the vendors on here wildhammer, phastek and rdp are great to deal with on here and do genuinely care about the customers so reaching out to them before you buy over the phone is a very solid bit of advice.

As far as catch cans go you like me live in an area where shit freezes quickly and in the cooler months the amount of condensation buildup in our pcv lines is insane your cans will fill up very fast in winter months and you will want to drain them every gas fill-up assuming you get gas once a week. Otherwise they will overflow and be useless or worse freeze solid and clog the pcv system and cause possible damage. Are catch cans worth it i think so absolutely even given the warning i just said, what one is best is a very argumentative subject on here i can honestly tell you mishimoto is the only one aside from Thandiel's one off system that has routing correctly done but the mishimoto cans are very small fill up insanely fast especially during winter the elite catch cans are better cans but they don't have the routing setup even close to optimally they clearly used traditional turbo car research when developing there's and not first hand research and development so like I've said before in other threads if you could make the elite cans work with the mishimoto lines you'd be golden.

Sorry for the long post i didn't want to miss anything.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 10-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Oh great, now Elite is going to chime in again... "our cans capture 90% bla bla bla"....Lol
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Oh great, now Elite is going to chime in again... "our cans capture 90% bla bla bla"....Lol
Probably. It's an copy amd paste response though and hopefully most of know to ignore them. I mean i give them props on the can not the routing so they should just not say anything.