The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Z06 Discussions

Old 05-24-2015, 08:45 PM   #1
soulsea

Drives: Fast
A Z07 homage to the Z/28

(copied from the C5 Z/28 sub-forum)

Back in the olden days of October 2014, I bought a unicorn called a Z/28. It was an incredible vehicle that I loved owning and driving. Three months later the opportunity came up to trade up to a Z07, and despite my affection for the 28 I could not pass up the chance to get into the C7Z.

Yet one visual aspect of the Z/28 could not escape my desire, and that was its wheel design. I have owned so many cars over the years, many exotics included, most of them with aftermarket wheels, and no wheel design ever cought my eye as the OEM Z/28 wheel did … it is no hyperbole to say that it was my favorite wheel design of all time.

So when I bought the Vette I looked everywhere one could look to see if such a design existed in the aftermarket world. What I found out is that 5 Y spoke wheels are everywhere, every high (and low) end manufacturer makes an almost identical version of them. Be they PUR4, Mesh5, HRE 101 series, they are the most common wheel design out there. And for good reason, especially in exotics because their clean, classic, and elegant design shows off the huge discs and hardware behind the wheel.

Now the Z/28 5 Y spoke wheel had a subtle yet very significant (to my eye) variation on the theme. They were the only ones I had seen that has the V part of the Y spokes angling at each other as they went to the lip. This created a much more aggressive hollow star effect that I could net get out of my mind.

I contacted several high end forged wheel manufacturers to see if they could duplicate this look but in Z06 specs, and although they managed to generate it on CAD, there was something missing. What was missing was the concavity. The Z/28 has a completely different offset which pushes the wheels way past the fenders, including the fender extensions Chevy put on there. This allows it to have huge concavity. The Z06 natural offsets don’t allow for that, so all the designs we could come up with looked ok straight on, but just like all the other aftermarket wheels on the market we could get very little concavity into them retaining offsets that kept the edges flush to the fenders.

Not sure if that all made sense, but just take a look at aftermarket C7 wheels and you’ll see minimal concavity angle compared to what can be had on other sport cars.

Enter a friend of mine called Ben who owns WeaponX Motorsports.

I had given up on the idea of getting the Z/28 look on my Z06, and had started discussing other wheel options with him … in fact I pulled the trigger on a design I liked. Then one day whilst we were shooting the poop I told him of my failed endeavor in regards to replicating the Z/28 wheel on my C7Z. It turns out he had been thinking along similar lines and was already in the process of launching his own wheel line partnering with an existing high end forging company. This precipitated me canceling my standing wheel order, and a collaboration between Ben and myself to try to create this special wheel design. After much back and forth, we agreed on a design, and I decided to guinea pig it.

Let me say the following: All I had was a design in my head and no other wheel company could make it come to life. The only reason it did is because of Ben’s creativity which led to creating a convex angle from the lip, bending the spokes mid V (as opposed to where the V meets the I) which resolved to this insanely beautiful wheel design with concavity unseen (at least to me) in a C7.

The pictures which are about to follow don’t represent the finished product. The center caps will be different, the lugs will be painted to match, and the car will be lowered for street use … what is pictured below is just a test fitting.

The final specs will be:

- 2 piece custom forged
- Painted Carbon Flash (to match OEM black trim pieces on vehicle)
- 20” front with 295 P Zero
- 21” rear with 375 P Zero
- Hidden hardware
- Colormatched center caps
- Colormatched lug nuts

I will post additional and better pics when everything is complete … but for now here’s some 'first look' wheel pron:

soulsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
First off,......killer car. I want a '15 Z06, Z07 package, 2Z. lol
I'd like to possibly trade in the Roush Stage 3 for it, but I need to pay it off first. lol

I think those wheels do look killer on there. Shows off the killer ceramic carbon rotors and the large colored pistons. My only opinion is, I would do the 19's up front and 20's out back.
WeaponX,...they also make splitters and diffusers for the C7's as well correct?

Last edited by tones2SS; 05-24-2015 at 08:56 PM. Reason: added text
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Very nice!

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
soulsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
First off,......killer car. I want a '15 Z06, Z07 package, 2Z. lol
I'd like to possibly trade in the Roush Stage 3 for it, but I need to pay it off first. lol

I think those wheels do look killer on there. Shows off the killer ceramic carbon rotors and the large colored pistons. My only opinion is, I would do the 19's up front and 20's out back.
WeaponX,...they also make splitters and diffusers for the C7's as well correct?
Thanks t (and also Ryan).

And yes, WeaponX Motorsports does appearance packages, performance packages, exhaust packages, wheel packages for many GM performance vehicles. They are now launching their own wheel brand.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:52 PM   #5
JDC PDX

Drives: '15 Z06
That's the best looking Camaro I've ever seen!

I kid, I kid.

Beautiful car (I have it's twin on the left coast.)
JDC PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
so where are the stock tires now
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:03 PM   #7
soulsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
so where are the stock tires now
Stock wheels and SC2 tires are in garage reserved for track use only.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
Stock wheels and SC2 tires are in garage reserved for track use only.
Damn it hoping i could pick up used cup 2 tires cheap lol
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
tones2SS

Quote:
- 2 piece custom forged
- Painted Carbon Flash (to match OEM black trim pieces on vehicle)
- 20” front with 295 P Zero
- 21” rear with 375 P Zero
- Hidden hardware
- Colormatched center caps
- Colormatched lug nuts
Just a quick question Soul,....would not the different wheel/tire sizes change the speedometer readings?
Still looks killer though.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #10
soulsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
Just a quick question Soul,....would not the different wheel/tire sizes change the speedometer readings?
Still looks killer though.
The front diameter between the oe wheel/tire (285/30/19) and my aftermarket one (295/25/20) is practically identical (1mm difference) so there's no impact on the speedo reading. The rear oe is 335/25/20 whilst the aftermarket is 375/20/21 ... however Pirelli exaggerates the width which is really 365 if you measure it, so even the rear diameter is almost the same with only 3mm of diameter variation from oe.

And thanks.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:02 PM   #11
tones2SS

Quote:
The front diameter between the oe wheel/tire (285/30/19) and my aftermarket one (295/25/20) is practically identical (1mm difference) so there's no impact on the speedo reading. The rear oe is 335/25/20 whilst the aftermarket is 375/20/21 ... however Pirelli exaggerates the width which is really 365 if you measure it, so even the rear diameter is almost the same with only 3mm of diameter variation from oe.
And thanks.
Cool.
In other words,....no worries then. lol
Old 06-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #12
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Looks FANTASTIC!
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #13
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Beautiful and exotic! But why a 20" x 21" over 19" x 20" or 20" square wheel/tire combination? Just curious.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:14 AM   #14
soulsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Beautiful and exotic! But why a 20" x 21" over 19" x 20" or 20" square wheel/tire combination? Just curious.
Thanks.

In regards to size, I just prefer a slightly larger wheel for a street package, especially when the car is lowered a smidgen ... and I wanted to keep the overall geometry the same hence the wheel/tire size combo.