Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-23-2014, 03:36 AM   #99
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
If you aren't rowing gears, you aren't really driving.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #100
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
That sir is BS....
Old 10-23-2014, 07:37 AM   #101
GreaseMonkey

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro
Usually when I need to slow down quick ! But a couple of times when I'm coming home from work at around midnight and the roads are dead ...
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #102
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Well I bought the A M for my wife to drive. And don't take it for granite that because people bought the A M they can't drive a Manual or their lazy. I have 38 yrs. of driving truck over 49 states. And there is so many diff. patterns of shifting. Electric shift air shift 5 speed with 1 stick up to 18 speed with 3 sticks to split gears & using 2 of those sticks at the same time. Now they have automatic in trucks that has to be great when your stuck in New York City or Los Angeles traffic bumper to bumper for up to 4 hours. I use my paddles a lot especially since doing the headers throttle body JBA high flow cats tune. And where they really work good is on Watkins Glen road course track.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #103
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Boston Acoustic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYFALL View Post
I'm curious: for automatic drivers, how often do you use the paddle shifters? I've had my car for about a year and four months and have tried them on and off during that time. However, during the past two weeks, I've been using them everyday and really enjoy them. I'm to the point where it feels weird not to use them. Let me know how often you use yours!
You can shift in D but it'll auto correct to a certain gear for you when you forgot to shift.

Put gear lever on M.
Tab down shift once to initiate Manual mode.

Both D and M will auto correct down shifting upon braking or when RPM drop below 1000.

The Automatic Paddle Shifter makes it easier for people to get accustom to Manual driving without having to Clutch or spool their engine. It basically train you on timing. Once you're comfortable, you can then transition into full Manual.
0-10 KM Shift 1st gear
10-20 KM Shift 2nd gear
30-40 KM Shift 3rd gear
40-50 KM Shift 4th gear
50-65 KM Shift 5th gear
65+ KM Shift 6th gear
VeeGeeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #104
Botrod

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange SS Vert
so when you are in "true manual" it won't auto correct if you fail to shift? I'm guessing it has to have some kind of fail safe in case you don't shift out of first gear etc.??
Botrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #105
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botrod View Post
so when you are in "true manual" it won't auto correct if you fail to shift? I'm guessing it has to have some kind of fail safe in case you don't shift out of first gear etc.??
No it will not auto correct. It will redline. ( I have accidently hit the paddle without knowing it while making a turn while in Sport mode is how I know)!
Old 10-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #106
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
It most certainly does have a fail safe, and its the same one that the manuals have, and thats a rev limiter. This would apply to both manual and auto transmissions on an upshift. I do not believe that the auto will allow you to pop the engine on a down shit though. That however is not the case with the manual. You can force it into a low enough gear to spin it fast enough to hurt it.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #107
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Paddle shifter are the most boring part of my car. I'd be happy to remove them for the weight savings
Old 10-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #108
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnuyokr View Post
No it will not auto correct. It will redline. ( I have accidently hit the paddle without knowing it while making a turn while in Sport mode is how I know)!
You can tune it so instead of hitting the rev-limiter it will make the next shift as a fail safe.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #109
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Nonsense.

Do you object to ABS too?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #110
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I know what you're getting at, because even with paddles something is still missing from the overall driving experience. But perhaps you should look at the paddles as being a step in the right direction from "just select D and go".

Rock-it Man - as mature as ABS technology generally is, there are still a few situations where it may not get things quite right.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #111
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnuyokr View Post
Yes that may be true but it's too easy to end up in the wrong gear using the paddles as opposed to having a stick. This way I just mash the peddle and the car gets it right every time!
Learn to listen to what the engine is telling you about how eager it really is by itself to get up and go, without relying on the kickdown as a crutch to get the revs up where they need to be. Worst case and you don't tap the paddle quite enough times, just tap it once more. Seems simple enough to me . . . and if any manual transmission driver ever tells you that he always anticipates the right gear to drop down to every time, don't believe him. I shouldn't have to tell you how I know this.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #112
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Only thing missing from my driving experience is the sore left knee I used to get after a long day driving through the mountains from having to use the clutch when manually shifting..... Otherwise I have a blast in my car...

Tags
2011 camaro 1lt, auto camaro, paddle shifters