The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 03-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
Pete r welch

Drives: 2014 Stingray
How do you balance driving vs. keeping car "mint?"

At age 72 bought my first Corvette. . Thought when I bought it, it would be my driving car, not to be saved for it's future appearance. It is just so nice though, I find it hard to balance putting miles on it with the inevitable nicks and wear. My wife says I never tailgate with this car which is I guess, a good thing. Trying to keep the rock chips away. But the car is just such a pleasure and thrill to drive, I think I will drive it alot for the enjoyment, and wear be damned. Does anyone else ever feel conflicted about this?
Pete r welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
Pete...I'll be 58 this summer.....I keep mine immaculate, but I'm not going to try to keep it mint, so when I sell it or die, some other guy gets a great car because I didn't drive it. I feel like I'm doing what makes me happy........isn't that why we bought em?
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Sh.. Happens, put a good film on the front end if you're in a clime that has a lot of crap on the roads and learn to use touch up paint the right way. Wash and seal the car on a regular basis and drive the crap out of it....try not to follow/orbit trucks....

Last edited by Glen e; 03-10-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
scott53

Drives: '19 Camaro 2SS, '12 GMC Yukon
My C7 is my 4th Corvette. I drove my C4 a lot. Then I saved my C5 for the next owner. I learned my lesson and drove my C6 GS a lot, including a HPDE day and a trip to the NCM. I ordered my C7 in October on my 60th birthday, picked it up on January 24...then it snowed...and snowed...and snowed. In a week I've put 300 miles on it and I'm having the time of my life. It is THE best of the four by far. I absolutely enjoy every minute of driving it. I'm with astroopa1, I drive mine but wash and detail it to keep it immaculate. The bonus is that I find washing and detailing to be relaxing.

Last edited by scott53; 03-09-2014 at 05:00 PM.
scott53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Ciscokid

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert - BRM&2014 NRB Vette
I have 17,000 miles on my c7, delivered at the end of Oct. 2013
I have a 2013 vert Camaro ZL1 with 27,000 miles on it.
Drive them!!
That's why you we love these cars, don't leave them as garage queens, enjoy them while you can.
So they get a few chips on them, that's the mark of being driven and truly enjoyed by the owner.
Leave your kids with a legacy of knowing you drove your car for enjoyment everyday and not as a trophy piece.
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
C7BOB

Drives: 2012 C6 COUPE
The Corvette is a great trip car! I've had 6 so far, and each one has taken me on great adventures. Once it gets dirty you might as well keep driving it. I don't take it to Target, Costco, Walmart, etc. because of tight parking spaces. And, in bad weather, if it's clean, I don't normally drive it. But, on a trip, the dirtier it gets, the better - a layer of dead bugs and dirt protects it from stone chips.

2005 LeMans Blue coupe, black int., A4, 1SB, NCM Delivery 4/25/2005
2003 gray/black coupe, A4, F55, 12CD, NCM Delivery 9/16/2002
2000 green/tan coupe, A4, NCM Delivery 5/16/2000
1996 CE silver/gray coupe, A4
1993 green/tan coupe, A4
C7BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
DucMan

Drives: Civic
I believe you drive it and if something happens fix it, or replace it. I know that is overly simplifying it, but you either buy it to be a garage queen or drive it like... well you get it. My wife and I are expecting (haha) in late April/early May and have it going on our first Vettcation in August to Glacier National Park and with the grace of good fortune many more trips after. I hope I can hit 200k in 10 years and I will be keeping it looking as close to new as I can.
Good travels.

PS to All who posted...kudos, great stories. I started a thread 'Vacations with the C7' for all to post pictures and stories.

02/22/2014 Placed Order at Dealer
02/28/2014 1100
02/28/2014 1102

Last edited by DucMan; 03-09-2014 at 05:37 PM.
DucMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #8
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
Drive the heck out of it and keep it clean.

Why save it for the next guy?

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

I agree...why save it for the next guy- I did that to my Camaro....and the guy that bought it was thrilled, but I thought back to all the times I wish I had drove it then....I mean what is the difference on trade or re-sell of a Garage Queen or an immaculate daily driver- Maybe maybe maybe a thousand or two......and think of all the times you sweated the rain, or got a little peck in it......You bought it to drive it-
Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
Sierramadre

Drives: Ferrari
When I was a kid, my mom had a nice couch in our living room with a damn plastic cover on it that was uncomfortable as hell to sit on. Kept it nice and clean for 10 years-it looked brand new as my dad set it out on the curb- Moral of the story: drive it and enjoy it.
Sierramadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:55 AM   #11
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

When I was a kid, my mom had a nice couch in our living room with a damn plastic cover on it that was uncomfortable as hell to sit on. Kept it nice and clean for 10 years-it looked brand new as my dad set it out on the curb- Moral of the story: drive it and enjoy it.

That was the same stuff my Grandmother had after my grandfather passed away.....hot, sticky, terrible to sit on....then she gave it away to a neighbor that tore that stuff off and had a great couch.....I'm with Sierramadre
Old 03-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
Down_Range_King
Win the day

Drives: F250, Tahoe, LRG C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by asptroopa1 View Post
Pete...I'll be 58 this summer.....I keep mine immaculate, but I'm not going to try to keep it mint, so when I sell it or die, some other guy gets a great car because I didn't drive it. I feel like I'm doing what makes me happy........isn't that why we bought em?
Good point there....immaculate vs. mint. I guess it is a personal opinion about how many degrees of separation between the two.

I agree with the OP. I promised myself (and my wife) that I would not obsess over miles or cosmetic blemishes. So my challenge is to find the sweet spot between immaculate and mint while enjoying the car to its fullest.
Down_Range_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
RetiredTHPLT

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray, 2013 Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by asptroopa1 View Post
I agree...why save it for the next guy- I did that to my Camaro....and the guy that bought it was thrilled, but I thought back to all the times I wish I had drove it then....I mean what is the difference on trade or re-sell of a Garage Queen or an immaculate daily driver- Maybe maybe maybe a thousand or two......and think of all the times you sweated the rain, or got a little peck in it......You bought it to drive it-

Asptroopa1..you told me when you took delivery but I've forgotten. How many miles have you put on so far? I have more miles on this car in 5 months than I did in 12 months on my C6.
RetiredTHPLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #14
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

I'm at 3,000 but we've had a lot of ice and snow and I'm not driving in that crap....I think i'll be banging the miles real soon....may take a trip in a few weeks to Houston and back.....see my mom and sis and Hennessey Motors...