The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 02-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
What do you think about adding Z06 pieces to the Z51?

A Z51 Stingray with the Z06 wide-body rearend, rear quarters & side skirts. Also adding wider wheels and tires. Why? I prefer the Stingrays front quarter panels over the Z06's with the black plastic aero pieces. The front quarters on the Z51 have a good width to them already, however the rear looks a little narrow.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
Why not?...it'll look great IMO.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
It looks like the Z06 front grill will fit the Stingray grill opening. It looks more aggressive than the standard grill and I am hoping the brake duct openings will direct more air to the brakes.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
It looks like the Z06 front grill will fit the Stingray grill opening. It looks more aggressive than the standard grill and I am hoping the brake duct openings will direct more air to the brakes.
I agree. It doesn't appear the front fascia is any different than the Stingray's. Hence the black plastic aero pieces around the front tire/wheel.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
I say go for it.

I'm going to be adding the front splitter and side skirts.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
REVVIC

Drives: 2014 Z51 Velocity Yellow
I will go for the side skirts especially if done in flash black for the sake of matching what's on our Vettes now. I have no compulsion for carbon fiber although it looks great. It is much pricier. Lashway Motor Sports has great front and side splitters. I'll be visiting them next week in Florida and suggest duplicating the side skirt on the ZO6. The compound curves and lines are absolutely stunning on the side skirt.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
A Z51 Stingray with the Z06 wide-body rearend, rear quarters & side skirts. Also adding wider wheels and tires. Why? I prefer the Stingrays front quarter panels over the Z06's with the black plastic aero pieces. The front quarters on the Z51 have a good width to them already, however the rear looks a little narrow.
If you add those GM Z06 body-components to a Stingray, might as well add a front solitter as well.

This mule looks like a Stage 1 Z06... due to its less-aggressive front splitter and obviously no winglets. This splitter will likely fit on the Stingray as well.
Attached Images

Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #8
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
The front end seems like it will be fairly straight-forward. However, every body panel from there back is different, especially the rockers, door panels, rear fenders and rear fascia. I read in a couple of places all of these are about 3" overall wider. You can see that in the rear photos. While the fenders and fascia are relatively easy bolt-on swaps, you'd need to swap entire door shells (transferring all the other parts from your current doors). And as the rockers are bonded to the frame very early in production and have a lot of parts installed over them, they might well be impossible to switch out without dismantling about half of the car. I admit the look of a Z06 is awesome, but suspect a full conversion of a base or Z51 to the wide-body look a Z06 would be cost prohibitive. By the time you did this and then painted the entire car, you could then actually afford a Z06, and get the supercharger too!

Maybe the aftermarket could step up and offer a bolt-in kit that either skips the extra width at the doors and rockers, or has pieces that bond onto the existing doors and rockers to gain the width.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
jashobbsie
Davenport Stage 5+

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & C7 Corvette 3LT Z51
can't wait until they are available on the market to tell you the truth… I'm opting for some Lashway skirts and from splitter soon…