The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes

Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #15
DallasMike

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs, 2004 pontiac gto
We have been running the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on all of our builds for about a year now. To say the tire is incredible would be an understatement. I have two full track days and 5000 miles on a set and they seriously look brand new. The grip is incredible and the fact that they hold up is simply amazing. The stock pirellis on both the camaro and mustang were TERRIBLE! Grip was subpar and if you get 20,000 miles out of them it's AMAZING.
DallasMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #16
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasmike View Post
We have been running the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on all of our builds for about a year now. To say the tire is incredible would be an understatement. I have two full track days and 5000 miles on a set and they seriously look brand new. The grip is incredible and the fact that they hold up is simply amazing. The stock pirellis on both the camaro and mustang were TERRIBLE! Grip was subpar and if you get 20,000 miles out of them it's AMAZING.

Wow that's amazing.

Your spot on with the pirellis. However after about 8k my rears are shot
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #17
DallasMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy25 View Post
Wow that's amazing.

Your spot on with the pirellis. However after about 8k my rears are shot

Go with the Michelin super sport. You won't be sorry.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #18
ModBargains

Drives: Camaro RS/SS, 996TT, E90 335i
Have they listed the what the wheel fitments are and what offsets it will take? I wonder if its changed from the C6 fitments? I cant wait to see one of these bad boys!
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Quote:
Thanks for the good news!
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #20
DallasMike

I'll tell you a quick story about the Michelin Tire program. About 6 months ago I was having lunch with a gentlemen who runs the tier 2 supplier program at Michelin. We were talking about the Super Sport tire and how it was designed and why they decided to build it in the first place. The technology for this tire started with the Bugatti Veyron. Now the version of Super Sport that's most commonly available is not the same as the Veyron. The Veyron runs the Michelin Pax system. The Pax system was originally designed as the run flat system for Michelin. What they found when testing the Veyron was they needed the extra stiffness from the Pax system for the tire to hold up under the extreme speeds the Veyron was capable of.

Anyway back to the conversation. As we were discussing the Super Sport the topic at hand turned to the new Corvette. Michelin owns and operates it's own private track. Many manufacturers rent this track and use it for testing of prototype vehicles using Michelin tires. I asked very bluntly, "what does the new corvette look like and how does it perform". Obviously he could not answer this directly but what he did say told me a lot.
He smiled at me and said, "how are you liking those Super Sport tires on your car?"
I replied, " they're amazing!".
His response, "you haven't seen anything yet."

With all of that said, Michelin does not build economy priced tires. Their goal is to build the best tire they can with the technology available. Their goal is to build the best performance tire they can while giving you a lasting tire. Anyone can give you a 200 tread wear rating tire that's grippy. Over 300, that's a lot more tough. Michelin succeeds every time.

Hang on to your hat because the Stingray is going to blow people away!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #21
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
I'll tell you a quick story about the Michelin Tire program. About 6 months ago I was having lunch with a gentlemen who runs the tier 2 supplier program at Michelin. We were talking about the Super Sport tire and how it was designed and why they decided to build it in the first place. The technology for this tire started with the Bugatti Veyron. Now the version of Super Sport that's most commonly available is not the same as the Veyron. The Veyron runs the Michelin Pax system. The Pax system was originally designed as the run flat system for Michelin. What they found when testing the Veyron was they needed the extra stiffness from the Pax system for the tire to hold up under the extreme speeds the Veyron was capable of.

Anyway back to the conversation. As we were discussing the Super Sport the topic at hand turned to the new Corvette. Michelin owns and operates it's own private track. Many manufacturers rent this track and use it for testing of prototype vehicles using Michelin tires. I asked very bluntly, "what does the new corvette look like and how does it perform". Obviously he could not answer this directly but what he did say told me a lot.
He smiled at me and said, "how are you liking those Super Sport tires on your car?"
I replied, " they're amazing!".
His response, "you haven't seen anything yet."

With all of that said, Michelin does not build economy priced tires. Their goal is to build the best tire they can with the technology available. Their goal is to build the best performance tire they can while giving you a lasting tire. Anyone can give you a 200 tread wear rating tire that's grippy. Over 300, that's a lot more tough. Michelin succeeds every time.

Great post, I don't fully understand why I've read so many people upset about the 285 width on the rear tires. To me if it can provide the same grip as a 305/315 wide tire with less rolling weight I say so be it, sign me up. I remember Car and Driver testing rolling weight and it's effect on a VW Golf and it was pretty profound.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #22
DallasMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by C7_Z51 View Post
Great post, I don't fully understand why I've read so many people upset about the 285 width on the rear tires. To me if it can provide the same grip as a 305/315 wide tire with less rolling weight I say so be it, sign me up. I remember Car and Driver testing rolling weight and it's effect on a VW Golf and it was pretty profound.

Truth be told, Michelin tires run wider than almost every other manufacturer. Example: We run 295 width tires on the back of the Camaros we build. The actual section width measurment on this tire is 12.5 inches. When compared to the 315 from Nitto, that tire measures only 11inches.

So I fully expect the 285 to be measurable to the 305 from just about everyone else.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #23
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Go with the Michelin super sport. You won't be sorry.
That's what I'll do on my 45th, Boss, and someday my
Quote:
Already blew me, and many of us here, away on 1/13/13 and the continuing revelations seen all over this forum! Can only imagine in real time...
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #24
DallasMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
That's what I'll do on my 45th, Boss, and someday my

Already blew me, and many of us here, away on 1/13/13 and the continuing revelations seen all over this forum! Can only imagine in real time...
If you need a hook up on tires let me know!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #25
OctaneZ28
Camaro Disciple

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to OctaneZ28 Send a message via Yahoo to OctaneZ28
Quote:
...the 315 from Nitto, that tire measures only 11inches.
Nittos are small, that's for sure.
I've seen a lot of 4th Gen Camaros & Firebirds with 315/35-17 Nittos mounted on 17x9 rims, and they're not too big at all. Very small cut tire.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
jim02C5

Anybody know why the release cars in the various magazine pics are wearing Dunlop tires instead of Michelins? Just curious, I'd figure they had plenty of time for Michelin to get them a set.

Jim
jim02C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #27
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim02C5 View Post
Anybody know why the release cars in the various magazine pics are wearing Dunlop tires instead of Michelins? Just curious, I'd figure they had plenty of time for Michelin to get them a set.

Jim
Great catch
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #28
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
man I can't wait to see what makes it onto the Z06. The Z51 tires look great!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote