Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
petcock on radiator leaks

Just about to fire up my 2010 SS after adding a vortech YSi supercharger. Yesterday I filled the radiator and it has a very slow leak from the petcock that was not there when I took it out of the car. Not sure how sitting empty caused it to now leak. Anyone had this happen? Can I completely pull the petcock out and replace what I assume is an o-ring on the piece that twists in?

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by racesloth View Post
Just about to fire up my 2010 SS after adding a vortech YSi supercharger. Yesterday I filled the radiator and it has a very slow leak from the petcock that was not there when I took it out of the car. Not sure how sitting empty caused it to now leak. Anyone had this happen? Can I completely pull the petcock out and replace what I assume is an o-ring on the piece that twists in?
Radiators are very delicate and can break,crack,or leak easily. My radiator also leaked from the same area after I installed my Procharger on my last SS. From my experience if your leak is coming from the area around the petcock I highly recommend replacing your radiator instead as to me it is cheap insurance a specially on a Vortech set up because if your radiator fails and leaks under boost your LSX engine will overheat and damage will more than likely occur. Don’t repair or chance your old radiator purchase a new one. I installed the Fluidyne 3 core aluminum radiator as replacement and I notested a drop in coolant temperatures on street duty and track duty as well. Also make sure you refill your new radiator with fresh Genuine GM AC Delco Dexcool coolant. Never use green coolant in our cars ever FYI. I found my Fluidyne 3 core aluminum radiator on eBay. www.ebay.com
Old 04-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
racesloth
Dan

Pulleed the petcock - torn o-ring. My big box of metric o-rings had just the right one... Now I am getting a small leak from my thermostat housing that wasn't there before...

2010 IOM SS
Old 04-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
LuSINda

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
If it's leaking at the threads a wrap of teflon tape should do the trick.

Lusinda
2010 2SS/RS
LuSINda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
racesloth
Dan

I just ordered a new thermostat from rock auto. Two actually the GM orig equip and the Felpro version...

2010 IOM SS
Old 04-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Normally those going cammed or many aftermarket FI builds go 160 degree thermostat that's what I run and in tune have the fans on earlier etc..... O rings on petcocks often get damaged by people turning them the wrong way I would think being reverse threads.