Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-04-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Exgermanowner

Drives: Bone stock
Headrest Removal

Anyone know how to remove the headrests? I tried but to no avail.

I'm wanting to run the Simpson Hybrid S H/N restraint and have to put the headrest almost all the way up so the neck collar will go under that tongue on the front bottom of the headrest. When I do that it puts my head forward more than what I'm comfortable with naturally. Maybe I'd get used to it. But if I can remove it, maybe I can buy a 2nd and carve it up(have an upholstrey shop do it) to allow my head to be more in the position as if the headrest is fully down.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exgermanowner View Post

I'm wanting to run the Simpson Hybrid S H/N restraint and have to put the headrest almost all the way up so the neck collar will go under that tongue on the front bottom of the headrest. When I do that it puts my head forward more than what I'm comfortable with naturally. Maybe I'd get used to it. But if I can remove it, maybe I can buy a 2nd and carve it up(have an upholstrey shop do it) to allow my head to be more in the position as if the headrest is fully down.
You need to pull the headrest all the way up, remove the trim that surrounds the hole on the seat back. Get a small led light, look down into the hole the shaft of the headrest goes into and push the seat material and foam down close to the shaft and you will see a clip down there. Its spring loaded if I remember correctly and with a small screwdriver you need to open the clip, pull up on the Headrest the same time. There should be a clip for each shaft. See my picture of the headrest and see the grove cut into each shaft for the clip to slide into, note the positions of the grove.
Attached Images

Last edited by lt4camaro; 08-04-2018 at 08:51 PM.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:45 PM   #3
lt4camaro

Quote:

BTW, once the headrests are out you can put them in backwards and the tilt of the headrest naturally goes in the opposite direction giving the room you may be looking for.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #4
Exgermanowner

Thanks the information, my buddy sent me the same directions, but the pics are helpful. Thank you. The reverse idea is interesting, will have to look at it. I still want it there, just not pressing my head forward, but not a ton space either between my helmet and headrest.

In looking at your pic and the car you have listed, I’m wondering if a base car headrest would fit and it may be what I’m looking for. Would you mind measuring your post widths?
Old 08-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
lt4camaro

Quote:
Thanks the information, my buddy sent me the same directions, but the pics are helpful. Thank you. The reverse idea is interesting, will have to look at it. I still want it there, just not pressing my head forward, but not a ton space either between my helmet and headrest.

In looking at your pic and the car you have listed, I’m wondering if a base car headrest would fit and it may be what I’m looking for. Would you mind measuring your post widths?
Center to center the distance between the post's is 5 3/4 inches, the post diameter I would imagine would be the same
Old 08-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
pcguy2u

Drives: 2009 Corvette ZR1
Or you could find the right height, then take the uninstalled headrest and put the two posts in a vice and bend them slightly to the rear so that you can still reinstall.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy2u View Post
Or you could find the right height, then take the uninstalled headrest and put the two posts in a vice and bend them slightly to the rear so that you can still reinstall.
The posts already have a bend in them which makes the headrest angle forward. When you slide them in backwards, the headrest now angles toward the back of the seat.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #8
pcguy2u

Drives: 2009 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
The posts already have a bend in them which makes the headrest angle forward. When you slide them in backwards, the headrest now angles toward the back of the seat.
But as the OP said, he was concerned about there being too much distance between the headrest and the helmet. So installing it backwards may not be an option.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy2u View Post
But as the OP said, he was concerned about there being too much distance between the headrest and the helmet. So installing it backwards may not be an option.
If the space needed is that critical, then your right by making bends in the two posts would be necessary.. The only bitch would be that every time you drop the posts in, they lock in place. Putting them in backwards the clips have no grove to bite into and they will not lock in place.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #10
Exgermanowner

Quote:
Center to center the distance between the post's is 5 3/4 inches, the post diameter I would imagine would be the same
Thanks for the measure. new headrests are $80. Doesn't seem to matter the model, the price is essentially within a few bucks, so may just get the ZL! ver.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #11
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
If the space needed is that critical, then your right by making bends in the two posts would be necessary.. The only bitch would be that every time you drop the posts in, they lock in place. Putting them in backwards the clips have no grove to bite into and they will not lock in place.
In that case, just grind a simple notch on both posts on the opposite of where they are now so They'd work with the headrest reversed.

Should be simple to do with an angle grinder and only take about 2 sec.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #12
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
In that case, just grind a simple notch on both posts on the opposite of where they are now so They'd work with the headrest reversed.

Should be simple to do with an angle grinder and only take about 2 sec.
Agree, but its easy to remove and reinstall during the many attempts to get the perfect angle/bend the OP wants when they are backwards making the clip ineffective.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:23 PM   #13
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Is that 5 3/4" center to center distance on the headrest posts measurement from a non-Recaro headrest? Or has anyone actually tried a non-Recaro headrest in a Recaro seat?

The reason I'm asking is that I want to replace the headrests on the Recaro's in my 1LE with the non-Recaro version so I'll have a bigger opening between the seat back and headrest for a harness. The Recaro headrest has that tongue or chin on it that blocks most of the opening, and I'm very tall, so the chin will interfere with a harness. I measured the Recaro head rest posts at ~5 3/4" as well, and the post guides have the same part number, so it looks like the headrests should be interchangeable.

Thanks!

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #14
Exgermanowner

I ended up getting a junk yard six banger LT headrest for $30 bucks shipped to solve my issue. It's black cloth(matches decently with the ZL1 interior), but fits no problem. It got rid of the lip that pressed my head forward with headrest up for my hybrid with no modifications necessary, so it will work for what you're wanting to do as well.