Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #15
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
It is Atlanta, the cops there don't care about petty theft. They have much bigger fish to fry.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #16
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Can’t you contact your Toyota dealer about a replacement key? As long as you got a police report ( and told them what was stolen)and proof from your insurance company of the crime they should give you a replacement key.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:59 PM   #17
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
Can’t you contact your Toyota dealer about a replacement key? As long as you got a police report ( and told them what was stolen)and proof from your insurance company of the crime they should give you a replacement key.
They'll do this for free?

I'll ask them.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:07 PM   #18
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
They'll do this for free?

I'll ask them.
No, the dealer won’t do it for free. If you’re making a total claim on your insurance for the broken window and everything it would be more than your deductible so it’s worth claiming everything. Your insurance would reimburse you for the key and cost to reprogram. But if getting the new key was the only thing you’d claim it probably wouldn’t be worth it. It just depends on what your deductible is and how much a new key is from Toyota and what the dealer charges for reprogramming. If you need to buy two, you are almost certainly going to be more than your deductible.

Since you lost both keys for the Prius you might need to have it towed to the dealer as they might need to reprogram the new key to the car without another key to copy. Call the dealer about that first.

Last edited by Petrol Head; 06-09-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:27 PM   #19
threetime
*PIMP*

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
It is Atlanta, the cops there don't care about petty theft. They have much bigger fish to fry.
You are correct, back in 1995 I had a cabby take me on a bullshit drive cause he thought I was drunk. Long story short, I started beating the f*ck out of this guy and cop pulled up and ask me to just pay the guy $25 and let it go. I told him hell no and that I wanted to file a complaint for kidnapping, driver said f*ck no and just left and cop started to just leave. Anywho, I filed a lawsuit and won enough money to buy my first house. Thank you Hotlanta. Not a bullshit story, really happened.
threetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:24 AM   #20
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
No, the dealer won’t do it for free. If you’re making a total claim on your insurance for the broken window and everything it would be more than your deductible so it’s worth claiming everything. Your insurance would reimburse you for the key and cost to reprogram. But if getting the new key was the only thing you’d claim it probably wouldn’t be worth it. It just depends on what your deductible is and how much a new key is from Toyota and what the dealer charges for reprogramming. If you need to buy two, you are almost certainly going to be more than your deductible.

Since you lost both keys for the Prius you might need to have it towed to the dealer as they might need to reprogram the new key to the car without another key to copy. Call the dealer about that first.
The way Geico did this claim was weird.

They put the broken window on an auto glass claim of which only had a $50 deductible, however; they put the stolen items on my home owners insurance. I kept asking them if that was correct because it didnt happen at my house. Needless to say my home owners policy has a higher deductible than my auto or glass policy... so they covered the glass for pretty much nothing but I'm out of pocket for everything they stole.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #21
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Sounds like a smash and grab. Next time, put your stuff in the trunk where no one can see it.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #22
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
The way Geico did this claim was weird.

They put the broken window on an auto glass claim of which only had a $50 deductible, however; they put the stolen items on my home owners insurance. I kept asking them if that was correct because it didnt happen at my house. Needless to say my home owners policy has a higher deductible than my auto or glass policy... so they covered the glass for pretty much nothing but I'm out of pocket for everything they stole.

That sounds pretty fishy to me. Your car insurance policy is supposed to cover all losses sustained from the vehicle. If you lost everything from inside the house it would be covered under the homeowners policy, but this should be the car policy. My Mom had a car stolen in 1988 and some of our stuff was in it and her car insurance covered the car and everything lost with it.

You might want to look into your policy and contest that.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #23
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
That sounds pretty fishy to me. Your car insurance policy is supposed to cover all losses sustained from the vehicle. If you lost everything from inside the house it would be covered under the homeowners policy, but this should be the car policy. My Mom had a car stolen in 1988 and some of our stuff was in it and her car insurance covered the car and everything lost with it.

You might want to look into your policy and contest that.
Nope - not fishy. That is the way coverage for auto versus personal property works. The door glass is part of your car so its covered by the auto policy. The personal items fall under the condition of theft of "personal property away from the primary premise". The standard homeowner's policy provides personal contents coverage away from the premise subject to a limit of 10% of the total contents coverage.

Basis for my answer - a 33 year career in the property/casualty insurance industry of which over 20 years were as a field adjuster or in claims management.

Note: some auto policies might have some token (low limit) coverage for personal items but the primary coverage for your personal property comes from your homeowners policy.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:31 PM   #24
Need4Camaro

They also didn't fully reimburse for the tint that came from the stealership.

Anyway.

If I wanted to put a DVR on my car for events where I may need to leave it unattended, is this possible?
Old 07-02-2020, 01:38 AM   #25
cburns18SS

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Well I just had a very similar situation here in good ole St. Louis. My concern is the windows themselves. My windows are darker/tinted more than my neighbors 2017 2SS. I found that strange to begin with. I never saw anything on the window that made it appear anything other than factory. Is there more than one option for glass on these cars? Is it a dealer option? I have no idea, but I need to figure out quick.
cburns18SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:45 AM   #26
cburns18SS

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
They also didn't fully reimburse for the tint that came from the stealership.

Anyway.

If I wanted to put a DVR on my car for events where I may need to leave it unattended, is this possible?
I want to say I’m sorry that happened to your ride and I know exactly how you feel. It sucks! Best of luck on all the other issues stemming from the break in.
cburns18SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:22 AM   #27
Need4Camaro

Mine's all fixed now like it never happened. still irritates me that it happened at all but it is what it is. Im back in Austin now and am probably never going back to Atlanta after that occurrence. I moved from there for reasons and this kind of reminded me that I need to stay out.

While I was on the phone with my insurance company they did tell me they saw more than one window, one came with a factory tinting they explained as they brought that up when I told them my car came from the dealer with tint... ...so it may be real.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:44 AM   #28
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
OP, a few posts above, you asked about a DVR for inside of your car. If memory serves, some of the dashcam vendors have a feature where you can record what your car sees while sitting in a parking lot. I imagine, you could place this in your back window looking forward to capture something like this.

You might want to think about going that route.