The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 10-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
zimm888

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
Standard C7 exhaust experience

Anybody with the standard exhaust have their C7 yet? A quick review would be great. Sound good? When if so or if not. That's the only option I'm really worried about not choosing as I anxiously wait for my cars TPW.
zimm888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
You'll be fine... it's not as loud as NPP of course but will still growl when pushed more into WOT. It's louder than my stock Camaro SS L99... now that stock exhaust tone is like a library.

I think sooner or later the NPP may be available via GMPP... a few GM folks already mentioned this is a good possibility so you can upgrade later if you desire.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
zimm888

Thanks Stingray. Is that what you have? Nice little purr around town or just WOP is where you're hearing it? This is my daily driver, want it to sound nice but not annoying after the first week.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
AlphaStinger

Drives: 60th ann 427 Corvette Convertible
My personal order has the dual exhaust but my father's stingray doesn't and I spent awhile driving it around today. I had the top off but at about 5k rpms it sounds pretty dang good, of course at idle or under 3k it is certainly pretty tame.
AlphaStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
andrews_texas

Drives: 2014 Stingray #4074
I've got the option, but I've wondered what you have if you don't have the option- Are the valve and flappers there, but the software is locked out? That would seem crazy...
I couldn't find the NPP setup at first, and someone said the only way to keep them open was with an aftermarket kit that includes a wireless remote to go on the visor.... Then I found the setting on the infotainment settings menu to turn the 'quiet' off. (however, the valves still close during 4 cyl operation.)
andrews_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
Stingray
just can't get enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm888 View Post
Thanks Stingray. Is that what you have? Nice little purr around town or just WOP is where you're hearing it? This is my daily driver, want it to sound nice but not annoying after the first week.
Yes. It sounds great around town, you can still hear the LT1's tone purr from the inside. But I still plan on either the NPP from GM or a quality aftermarket like Corsa, Borla, etc... I sacrificed a non-Z51 with NPP unit in order to get a Z51 one. Exhausts can be upgraded post-delivery... Z51 isn't that feasible so a good decision for me.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I do have the "base" exhaust on my Stingray. Yes, it is rather quiet at idle and at mild throttle. But mash the pedal, and the exhaust comes alive! I'm happy with it. Should I decide in the future for a little more rumble, I can always go with a Corsa or Magnaflow or such, and for about the same money (you KNOW there will be a lot of aftermarket options soon!).

Both exhaust systems have a set of valves forward of the mufflers, to enhance the sound in 4-cylinder mode. The NPP then has a second set of valves between the mufflers and tips. Both sets are computer controlled.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
zimm888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Yes. It sounds great around town, you can still hear the LT1's tone purr from the inside. But I still plan on either the NPP from GM or a quality aftermarket like Corsa, Borla, etc... I sacrificed a non-Z51 with NPP unit in order to get a Z51 one. Exhausts can be upgraded post-delivery... Z51 isn't that feasible so a good decision for me.

True, good points. Does the gap between the two exhausts grow on you, some reason it really stands out at the moment for me just by this photo. Also, is that more of a brushed or stainless tip?
Old 10-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Stingray
just can't get enough

Quote:
True, good points. Does the gap between the two exhausts grow on you, some reason it really stands out at the moment for me just by this photo. Also, is that more of a brushed or stainless tip?
It's not bad at all. Keep in mind the standard tips are 3" while the NPP's are 4" diameter. Plus in my photo, my tips need good cleaning & detailing... below is one from when I test drove a base coupe in September w/ semi-cleaned tips. The stocks don't have pronounced trumpet tips like the NPP's. They're like a machined yet still polished aluminum from the factory but can still certainly benefit from further detailing.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
zimm888

Good to hear, I was worried for a little bit there. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #11
Louis White Law

Drives: Torch Red C7 Z51 stingray
Bullshit. Standard exhaust is great if u don't want to hear your engine. I have 2014 npp. Still not enough imo. Aftermarket for the real growl. Npp is ok in sport or track mode but when I fired it up in track my friends said "oh, it's baffled, right?"

I don't mind cuz I don't want to project to the police. But if you want a real growl, wait for aftermarket.
Louis White Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
brandin10

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Anybody with the standard exhaust have their C7 yet? A quick review would be great. Sound good? When if so or if not. That's the only option I'm really worried about not choosing as I anxiously wait for my cars TPW.
I was in the same boat as you. At first I wasn't going to get NPP and it was the only option I was on the fence about. Finally called the salesman yesterday and asked if it was too late to add the option. I liked the idea of being able to keep it quiet when you want and loud the rest of the time!!
brandin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Stingray
just can't get enough

My suggestion is if you're on the fence, then just get the NPP if you still can. If it's not a major issue or not a deal breaker for you and if you decide to upgrade later anyway, then the standard exhaust is fine. Obviously it won't have the NPP's dual-mode feature and the stock units are good but relatively quiet especially during idle (though not as quiet as my Camaro's, IMO) but when you do get on it you'll still hear the sweet LT1 sounds.

Here's a quick vid of my non-NPP exhaust with short bursts of gas while reversing off the transporter... it's better to hear it live in person but at least this is better than nothing.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
zimm888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
My suggestion is if you're on the fence, then just get the NPP if you still can. If it's not a major issue or not a deal breaker for you and if you decide to upgrade later anyway, then the standard exhaust is fine. Obviously it won't have the NPP's dual-mode feature and the stock units are good but relatively quiet especially during idle (though not as quiet as my Camaro's, IMO) but when you do get on it you'll still hear the sweet LT1 sounds.

Here's a quick vid of my non-NPP exhaust with short bursts of gas while reversing off the transporter... it's better to hear it live in person but at least this is better than nothing.

Thanks for the vid, still sounds kinda nasty with those spurts of gas! What exactly is the dual mode feature you're talking about. Is it just when you switch to sport or track and it opens up more?

Doesn't the standard exhaust have valves, or does it not activate in those modes and is only used in Eco?