The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 01-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #15
johnu

Drives: 1981 C3, 2014 C7
I called hoping to hop in a class in early March and get a break from the snow....wishful thinking. Booked solid until April-May.
johnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:24 PM   #16
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
My wife and I signed up for May 4-5. She had such a good time taking the fast drive with Rick from Ron Fellows at NCM's new track. She is looking forward to learning to drive our new car faster and better.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #17
zimm888

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
Can't wait!

There for 2 days next week jan 29-30
zimm888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #18
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Very cool! I've always liked Ron Fellows.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #19
gojurick

Drives: '14 Stingray "Sasha"
Just got back from the class last week. I will go so far as to say that every new Stingray owner who does not take advantage of this deal is doing themselves and their car a disservice. The class and instructors are awesome. The track is a blast to drive. The rest of the facilities are top notch. Our room there was far better than our room in Vegas the rest of the week and cheaper per night. You will learn far more about the capabilities of your car in 2 (or 3) days than you will ever learn on the street.

My only negative, and this does not reflect on Spring Mountain, was that during one the track sessions I believe I blew an engine. Lots of white smoke, a huge puddle of oil/water and warning lights galore. This all happened at about 101 MPH heading into turn 3. To their credit they got the track cleaned quickly and had me in another car right after lunch. Saddened me to see this beautiful car parked on the side of the track like that.
gojurick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #20
C7 MUSCLE

Drives: 2014 Cyber Gray Coupe - 2LT Manual
I'm going in a couple weeks and I'm struggling with whether or not to do the third day. Some people say you get enough out of the 2 day, others say you gotta do the third day. One extra day is double the cost. The school says I can decide on the third day while I'm out there. Thoughts anyone??
C7 MUSCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:14 AM   #21
noname

Drives: 3LT Z51
I bet a lot of people are going to argue for the third day.

I only did the 2 day and I thought I got plenty enough out of it. I learned plenty about my car and how to drive it. Do I have a lot more to learn? Of course.

But now I goto my local tracks to practice and learn and improve my driving skill.

To put it another way: I would love to do another full day at Spring Mountain. But, I wouldn't pay $1150 for it.
I'm sure you could goto your local track and get a private instructor (and therefore learn a lot more) for less. Or in my case, do 5 days of HDPE at my local road track (it's about $220/day). I'm sure I learn more with 5 days of seat time than with 1.
noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #22
zimm888

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
C7 Muscle, I hear your pain. I myself went with the 2 day over the 3, going through the same thought process as you. Like noname, I figured I could go to my local track and learn on my car for cheaper after the 2 day.

Depending how you look at it, I was un/fortunate because it started to light rain on my day 2. We didn't get to go to our max speed capabilities, but it did expose any weaknesses we had and you learned a little more because of less traction you couldn't mess up apex's and your lines . The best part, was the school decided to give us a credit for DAY 3 on the house! What amazing customer service.

So yes day 3 is a lot more expensive, and we all come from different means and justifications on spending that money. If you can spare the money and you're not just trying to be frugal I'd definitely go for it. I'm definitely not one of the richer guys on this forum. I literally rented out my basement to pay for this car lol. Remember, you're using their cars, rubber, fuel, brakes and insurance for an entire day of hot lapping basically. BEFORE I heard about the free day 3 I was telling the girlfriend how I was regretting not springing for it after realizing what a great facility they have.

They had about 11-12 instructors for a class of only 19 students, the accommodations were on point, the food was descent, and they made my girlfriend love the experience when she came in waiting for it to be over so we can go to vegas. They took her out on the track numerous times and even did donuts in the parking lot when it was wet. If you bring someone, they simply have to show interest and ask. There were other wives there that just sat around didn't do jack. My girlfriend was literally on the track as much as me in the lead car. It's all attitude really. My opinion, do the third day.

P.S. Hopefully my point of view helped your decision either way. If you could, please tell them when you register that Adam Zimmermann aka Kyle Larson's look a like referred you. They give a $100 finders fee which I could hopefully put towards Level 2 at some point next year once I save up. I can do the same for you if you decide to ever go back. Thanks a lot,

zimm888
zimm888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:30 PM   #23
C7 MUSCLE

Drives: 2014 Cyber Gray Coupe - 2LT Manual
noname and Zimm - thanks for the insight. Much appreciated. Zimm, if they ask about a referral, you got it!
C7 MUSCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #24
lamjoh

Drives: 2015 Torch Red Z51 2LT
The Corvette owners driving school (Ron Fellows) has a $8000 deductible for any outside damage to car or for $200 you can buy down to $2000 deductible. so if you took the class what did you do?

(1100) Ordered 09/25/2014
(3000) Accepted by Production 09/30/2014
(3300) Scheduled 10/10/2014
(3400) Broadcast 10/17/2014
(3800) Produced BORN 10/28/2014
(4B00) Bayed 10/29/2014
(4000) Available to ship 10/29/2014
(4200) SHIPPED 11/03/2014
(5000) Delivered 11/04/2014
lamjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #25
LFish

Drives: 2004 Porsche 911 GT3, 2014 StingRay
Thinking about doing the Fellows school but wanted to ask the forum members if any have experience tracking a Z51 convertible. My local track is MidOhio and I usually do DE with the Porsche or BMW clubs. PCA allows convertibles, BMWCCA doesn't. Any thoughts regarding the safety of a C7 convertible with no roll cage? Attempted a search on this topic but came up empty. Thanks!
LFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:04 PM   #26
noname

Drives: 3LT Z51
LAMJOH: I didn't get the insurance. There's really nothing to hit on the track (except another car I guess), so I don't see how you can really total the car. There was one guy who spun off track and blew his engine. I don't believe (but obviously am not sure) that they charged him anything. They're all new cars that are still under warranty and then after a few thousand miles they sell them used in California (so beware when you buy a used C7!)

LFish: I do DE all the time on my Z51, sometimes with the top down. It depends on the particular DE program, and what their rules are. It would be pretty hard to flip a Z51. If you're not racing and just doing DE, a roll cage/bar isn't necessary where I drive, it's up to the individual programs.
noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:04 PM   #27
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
My understanding is many groups hosting track events will not allow convertibles without roll bars if speeds are anticipated past a certain point. It has to do with their insurance. If you stick to "driving experience" events, they are more organized like performance driving schools, and tend to be more lenient with convertibles. GM says the convertible windshield frame will hold the weight of the car in the event of a roll-over, but I doubt it would be sufficient at track speeds, especially in a competitive situation. I personally would only track a convertible with a 4-point or better roll bar, just for peace of mind if nothing else. And it would open more track venues up to you.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote