The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Thumbs down CHEVY VOLT DENIED CALIFORNIA TAX CREDIT

VOLT DENIED CALIFORNIA TAX CREDIT
In an astonishing development, the California Air Resources Board is rating the emissions of the Chevrolet Volt several levels below other cars. For example, it’s rated worse than a Volkswagen Jetta TDI or a Toyota Prius, and the same as a Honda Civic. There are two problems here. In testing the Volt with the engine running it emits a fraction of a gram over the limit for hydrocarbons. This, despite the fact that all Volt owners will be trying to run their cars in electric mode as much as possible, meaning those engines will not come on very often. The other problem is that the California Air Resources Board has set a 10-year 150,000-mile warranty for the battery pack in hybrids. But the battery pack in the Volt only comes with an eight-year 100,000-mile warranty. That’s the same warranty that Nissan offers with the LEAF. But because the LEAF only has batteries it does not have to meet the more stringent warranty. As a result, the Chevy Volt does not qualify for a $3000 tax credit from the state of California. GM says it will qualify for the cleanest emissions level, but it will take several years to get there because it first wanted to qualify as an ultra low emissions vehicle in all 50 states, rather than just concentrating on meeting California’s standard. To me this is crazy. It’s an example of overly complex regulations that stifle innovation and creativity, and limit consumer choice due to mere technicalities.

This was from Autoline Dailey.

I don't know what they are smoking out there ,but I think they all must be crazy.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Yup, California completely ignored the fact that no emissions are produced for the first 25-50 miles of driving.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Yup, California completely ignored the fact that no emissions are produced for the first 25-50 miles of driving.
They must be totally insane. I hope this doesn't hurt it before it has a chance to proof itself. I swear that governments doesn't want advancement of any kind to happen these days.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Sounds like it's back to the drawing board for GM... That's a major selling point down the drain for this car.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
rmnc3r

Drives: me up the wall.
Another way to look at it is "not tax-payer subsidized"; one less reason for me to pay more in taxes so someone else can get a break. True environmentalist should pay full price for their folly, and not force unwilling tax payers to foot part of their bill.
rmnc3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
They'll give one to Arnold. It will all be cool.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
California FAIL
Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
They must be totally insane. I hope this doesn't hurt it before it has a chance to proof itself. I swear that governments doesn't want advancement of any kind to happen these days.
Only in California. They have no influence over the fed's $7500 credit.

It seems I have a brand new reason to hate that state every month (no offense, California brothers!!)
Old 10-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnc3r View Post
Another way to look at it is "not tax-payer subsidized"; one less reason for me to pay more in taxes so someone else can get a break. True environmentalist should pay full price for their folly, and not force unwilling tax payers to foot part of their bill.
+1
Old 10-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #10
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

It seems I have a brand new reason to hate that state every month (no offense, California brothers!!)
No offense taken...........most of the politicians here are nutz & CARB is out of CONTROL!
Old 10-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by d69chris View Post
No offense taken...........most of the politicians here are nutz & CARB is out of CONTROL!
I'm sure. NY is almost as bad.....
Vote them out!!!
Old 10-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
VOLT DENIED CALIFORNIA TAX CREDIT
In an astonishing development, the California Air Resources Board is rating the emissions of the Chevrolet Volt several levels below other cars. For example, it’s rated worse than a Volkswagen Jetta TDI or a Toyota Prius, and the same as a Honda Civic. There are two problems here. In testing the Volt with the engine running it emits a fraction of a gram over the limit for hydrocarbons. This, despite the fact that all Volt owners will be trying to run their cars in electric mode as much as possible, meaning those engines will not come on very often. The other problem is that the California Air Resources Board has set a 10-year 150,000-mile warranty for the battery pack in hybrids. But the battery pack in the Volt only comes with an eight-year 100,000-mile warranty. That’s the same warranty that Nissan offers with the LEAF. But because the LEAF only has batteries it does not have to meet the more stringent warranty. As a result, the Chevy Volt does not qualify for a $3000 tax credit from the state of California. GM says it will qualify for the cleanest emissions level, but it will take several years to get there because it first wanted to qualify as an ultra low emissions vehicle in all 50 states, rather than just concentrating on meeting California’s standard. To me this is crazy. It’s an example of overly complex regulations that stifle innovation and creativity, and limit consumer choice due to mere technicalities.

This was from Autoline Dailey.

I don't know what they are smoking out there ,but I think they all must be crazy.
Welcome to the United States. California needs to be kicked out of the union lol.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
Quote:

True. But this stupid state was "supposed" to give another $5K credit on top of the federal credit. Amazing how they can screw stuff up this bad.

And no offense taken! I hate the political scene here.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Quote:
I'm sure. NY is almost as bad.....
Vote them out!!!
Yep. CA's pretty bad.
It really sucks when you have to pay $200 for a CA-certified catalytic converter as opposed to $80 49-state legal one.
Did I mention that's just for that cat? A full setup runs about $550+ as opposed to a $300 49-state setup.
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote