Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
Buddy2

Drives: 2012 camaro convertible 45th Ed.
Remote Tune

How is a remote tune done? Can it be done from anywhere? How is payment handled? Thanks.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:33 AM   #2
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy2 View Post
How is a remote tune done? Can it be done from anywhere? How is payment handled? Thanks.
Depends on who you choose. There are multiple answers here. Some use handheld scanners such as SCt. Others use HP tuners. I;ve used both and am currently using HP. Each tuner will be a little different on what they charge or what they recommend. Most wont remote tune any power adders. Some do bolt on only cars, others will do cam/heads ect.
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
get in touch with dynoSteve at RDP...he can answer all your q's plus has a awesome SCT/tune for life deal that can't(IMHO) be beat...been using his tunes for 3+ years now incl. new cam install.

Good luck!

PEACE
Old 06-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Not sure how much knowledge you have on this, so I will assume very little and answer accordingly:

You will need some sort of handheld tuning device to upload your stock tune and to reflash your ECU when your new tune is complete. The most popular/supported for our cars are Hp Tuners MPVI2 and the SCT X4 (there are others though). Once you have your device your tuner will request a list of all the mods you currently have on your car. They will have you use your handheld to 'Upload' a copy of the stock tune on your car to the device. You will then email them the stock tune, to which they will make requested and required changes. They send the tune back to you, you download it back onto your car. Operate the car in whatever manner your tuner tells you while data logging it with the scanner and then send back the datalog so they can make any needed changes. This will continue until they are satisfied that the tune is as accurate as possible, making changes to the tune each time. These tune files will normally be sent via email as an attachment.

Regarding payment, normally it is just an order form on a website for that specific tuner. They will know you paid for the tune based on their sales records when you send your stock tune in. This is also where you will normally provide them with your personal/contact info, current modifications, and any special tune requests via an order form. Tuning can be done from nearly anywhere, as long as you have access to your email so you can download the files to/from your handheld; usually via a laptop or PC.

Tuners like DynoSteve offer package deals where they will sell you a handheld tuning device and a lifetime tune for a better price than if bought separately. He also used to offer discounts for Camaro5.com members, so it would be good to inquire about that as well if you went in his direction. This would allow you to request an updated tune to account for any new parts you have added to the car after the initial tune, without having to pay again. Like Frankwjr above, I also highly recommend DynoSteve/RDP for lightly/moderately modified bolt on cars. But there are a few different vendors on our site that offer these services, one being Ted Jannetty from Jannetty Racing. You can also shop offsite for other known LS tuning vendors.

But as said above, your best bet is to contact different tuners directly for current pricing, tuning methods, and recommendations. You don't want to purchase a device until you have settled on a who will tune your car, as tuners can vary in which software/devices they support and/or hold licenses for. It may seem like a lot to think about or a bit overwhelming, but many of us on here have done this quite a few times so you will always have help and answers to your questions from the community here.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 06-25-2020 at 05:04 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:53 AM   #5
legbuh

Drives: 13camaroZL1v,06 911, 18 StingerGT2
You'd be better off doing it in person. I remember a few years ago I did a remote tune on a Corvette Grand Sport I bought through what appeared to be a very reputable tuner.

They had me hook up a computer to the car, go out and do some pulls on an empty road then send them that. Then they were supposed to send me a tune.

Guess what.. I never go it. After 3 months I told them I wanted a refund and was going somewhere else. They tried to pull a 15% "restocking" fee and I told them there is no restocking fee on something I didn't get, much less something digital and they could stick it in their pipe and smoke it.

There are some real shady folks out there.
legbuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #6
Glassman66

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1le
[QUOTE=dynosteve;10817831]Hey Sir

i can help you with remote tuning, feel free to send me a pm with your questions or you can give me a call on 440 358 5500

Thanks Dynosteve[/QUOTE

I can vouch for DynoSteve. Got his l lifetime times with the sct x4 scanner. It's really easy, just follow the YouTube video and it's all done.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:40 PM   #7
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Dyno steve created a monster out of my car. I recommend highly.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote