Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 05-20-2019, 05:10 PM   #57
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
I would be worried about possibility causing unwanted airbag deployment or unpredictable traction/stability control results during an autocross if running with disconnected wheel speed sensors.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:33 PM   #58
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
I would be worried about possibility causing unwanted airbag deployment or unpredictable traction/stability control results during an autocross if running with disconnected wheel speed sensors.
Autocross is arguably the best and safest environment for testing this. I can't see how Stabilitrak would be any better equipped than ABS to know how fast one or more wheels with disconnected sensors would be turning, so that it could make the right call for any of the brakes. ABS takes itself offline (and throws a light/code).

Norm
Old 05-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #59
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
IIRC reference vehicle speed is based on the second fastest wheel when accelerating, and the second slowest wheel when braking. This is part of the reason you can get a speed error-related hard pedal when going directly from wheelspin to brakes. In an instant it sees all four wheels turning significantly slower than the reference vehicle speed, assumes that all four tires are sliding, and tries to cope accordingly.

From a mechanical and hydraulic perspective, the rear brakes are massively overpowered. The electronic brake proportioning valve is required in order to maintain sane brake bias. If you somehow disable the ABS unit (via fuse pull or otherwise) you are going to have a severe bias problem.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #60
AND0

Drives: C5 Z06
Mustangs do not have this problem.......
AND0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #61
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
IIRC reference vehicle speed is based on the second fastest wheel when accelerating, and the second slowest wheel when braking. This is part of the reason you can get a speed error-related hard pedal when going directly from wheelspin to brakes. In an instant it sees all four wheels turning significantly slower than the reference vehicle speed, assumes that all four tires are sliding, and tries to cope accordingly.

From a mechanical and hydraulic perspective, the rear brakes are massively overpowered. The electronic brake proportioning valve is required in order to maintain sane brake bias. If you somehow disable the ABS unit (via fuse pull or otherwise) you are going to have a severe bias problem.

Yeah my small experience with "everything off" on a modern ABS car is its undriveable at any kind of limit due to skewed brake bias.

Purple wire mod is what was called in the Dodge LX/LC platform. it turns the YAW sensor off faulting out all the electronic nannies.
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #62
Cito

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
So, exactly how hard is it to switch out the ABS module?
Cito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:26 PM   #63
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito View Post
So, exactly how hard is it to switch out the ABS module?
Remove the cowl, pry off the factory computer, install 2019 computer from a car with the same brake configuration, reinstall cowl.

The hard part is getting the 2019 computer.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:18 PM   #64
94boosted

Drives: ‘17 1LE, ‘17 BMW 340, ‘18 F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Couple questions:

Who's Ryan O.?

Do you have a link to the '19 SS 1LE with ice mode complaint?
See: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=43

The complaints of a 2019 SS 1LE also getting ice mode at a recent autocross event is here: https://www.roadraceautox.com/showth...eet-now/page39 See post #1936
Old 05-22-2019, 05:09 PM   #65
LJenkins1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AND0 View Post
Mustangs do not have this problem.......
Yes they do.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:13 PM   #66
rotis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJenkins1LE View Post
Yes they do.
Negative. They do not have a problem with anywhere near this severity. I just drove a 2018 GTPP this weekend and went through a section that would 100% guarantee hard pedal in my SS. Slightly sideways, exiting a fast offset with wheelspin, and going straight to the brakes while still countersteering. The brakes worked perfectly.

Ford goes out of their way to say the Performance Pack cars have a different ABS calibration, so maybe they just did a good job with those. No idea how the brakes on a base model are, not really a concern of mine.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:59 PM   #67
LJenkins1LE

Quote:
Negative. They do not have a problem with anywhere near this severity. I just drove a 2018 GTPP this weekend and went through a section that would 100% guarantee hard pedal in my SS. Slightly sideways, exiting a fast offset with wheelspin, and going straight to the brakes while still countersteering. The brakes worked perfectly.

Ford goes out of their way to say the Performance Pack cars have a different ABS calibration, so maybe they just did a good job with those. No idea how the brakes on a base model are, not really a concern of mine.
Just because you drove one that didn’t, doesn’t mean they don’t. I never experience ice mode with my 1LE and apparently it happens. I have a buddy in my region that gets ice mode just as much as everyone here in his ‘17GTPP. So yes, Mustangs experience ice mode as well.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #68
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:

Ford has had more track-capable ABS modules available since the S197 days. With the earlier years you swapped the module, and since Ford had intended it for the race cars (FR500, Grand Am Cup) if you ran it on a street model the dash lit up like it was Christmas.

I don't know anything about ABS in the S550, but I've had it (stock module) take itself offline in my S197 during a track session - I have no idea why - and remain offline for the entire following session. The quickest two and top 3 of 4 laps that day were with ABS inop, although lap times with ABS were slightly more consistent. I did manage to lock up a RR once after making a rather late pass (going into right-hand T1 @ NJMP/Lightning). After a few more start/shutdown cycles ABS functionality seemed to have returned (the ABS light went out, anyway).

Norm
Old 05-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #69
rotis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJenkins1LE View Post
Just because you drove one that didn’t, doesn’t mean they don’t. I never experience ice mode with my 1LE and apparently it happens. I have a buddy in my region that gets ice mode just as much as everyone here in his ‘17GTPP. So yes, Mustangs experience ice mode as well.
Your 18 1LE has a more robust calibration than a SS. A 2019 1LE has a better calibration than yours, and a ZL1-1LE has a better calibration than both.

Does your friend with the 17GTPP have stock pads? If he doesn't, tell him to install them. The only GTPPs I've driven that had hard pedal issues were on aftermarket pads. Can't blame Ford for that.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #70
LJenkins1LE

Quote:
Your 18 1LE has a more robust calibration than a SS. A 2019 1LE has a better calibration than yours, and a ZL1-1LE has a better calibration than both.

Does your friend with the 17GTPP have stock pads? If he doesn't, tell him to install them. The only GTPPs I've driven that had hard pedal issues were on aftermarket pads. Can't blame Ford for that.
Stock pads.