#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #43
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Many people think the word "grip" only applies to off the line acceleration or cornering G's. Braking is every bit a "grip" exercise as the aforementioned others. Pedal modulation, line, balance and traction are all part of good brake application.
Very true, this is why I had such a hard time slamming it into turn 1. I have always tried to have smooth movements, and stabbing the brake pedal suddenly with great force goes against smooth movements. But, it was clear I was too reluctant to brake later and harder. That was the biggest struggle for me.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #44
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Very true, this is why I had such a hard time slamming it into turn 1. I have always tried to have smooth movements, and stabbing the brake pedal suddenly with great force goes against smooth movements. But, it was clear I was too reluctant to brake later and harder. That was the biggest struggle for me.
You will do this turn better with more seat time and better brake pads.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:30 PM   #45
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
That reluctance is your self preservation programming going off like a big red siren!

My wife and I have done 4 track days with FATT on Summit Point Main. Learning how to brake with great force but smoothly is in my opinion the most challenging part of becoming a better track driver. I'm certainly still working on it. In my 2010 SS (automatic) with Hawk HP+ pads, I'm usually hitting the brakes at the 500' marker and I'm usually around 125 mph, depending on how well I hit turn 10 and if I had traffic to deal with on the straight.
I think if you upgraded your brake pads to a good track pad, you'd have a LOT more confidence in braking.

Hopefully I'll run into you one day next year at Summit. We're planning on doing at least 2 track days there next year.

Michael

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #46
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJanowich View Post
That reluctance is your self preservation programming going off like a big red siren!

My wife and I have done 4 track days with FATT on Summit Point Main. Learning how to brake with great force but smoothly is in my opinion the most challenging part of becoming a better track driver. I'm certainly still working on it. In my 2010 SS (automatic) with Hawk HP+ pads, I'm usually hitting the brakes at the 500' marker and I'm usually around 125 mph, depending on how well I hit turn 10 and if I had traffic to deal with on the straight.
I think if you upgraded your brake pads to a good track pad, you'd have a LOT more confidence in braking.

Hopefully I'll run into you one day next year at Summit. We're planning on doing at least 2 track days there next year.

Michael
Oh yes, it's definitely self preservation, and not lack of more braking power. Would love to see to guys at the track sometime. I will probably do two sessions next year as well, shooting for spring/fall. I definitely want to do the main coarse again. Shoot me a message when you figure out you're going.

I can see myself upgrading to a better pad at some point. Was thinking of getting some ceramic pads for street use, then switching to different pads and rotors for the track. I already have to take the calipers and rotors off to change the splash shield and air deflector anyway. Might as well keep separate pads and rotors for track days. The stock pads do perform very well though. I just don't like all the dust. Ceramic pads will fix that.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #47
TheMaGikDucK

Drives: 2016 1SS
A set of race pads/rotors and a second set of tires will end up being more cost effective in the long run.

I went completely through both the OEM pads (to about 30%, I typically toss pads at 50%) and tires (bald) in one weekend (not finishing last two sessions). Granted I'm an instructor and driving my own car in expert groups.

Using "street" tires on the track will wear them too fast, and using "track" tires on the street is a waste of heat cycles.
TheMaGikDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #48
Inthepasture

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
2 things. 1. why doesn't the dealer ask us from the beginning if we want the "track transmission prep"? Who wouldn't?......It's not as if your'e overfilling the crankcase. 2. The transmission prep explanation sounds like a very poor explanation on the part of the dealer. If you drive the car to warm up and then put it on the lift the temperature of the trans fluid will only go down until it reaches steady state. You can't make the trans fluid hotter (I said tranny fluid) by letting the car idle. It seems to me that GM will come out with a final statement of "add 60cc of fluid and drive slowly through all gears cycling from first; stop then reverse" Just like the rearend noise fix. Just a thought. More "dealer magic"
Inthepasture is offline   Reply With Quote