Phastek Performance

Old 11-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #29
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
Welcome to the club
Warning: this is a very expensive addiciotn
Man, you are NOT kidding. Over $200 clams just to sign up, and I cried a little when I saw what I did to my new tires!

I gotta get a second job...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #30
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Man, you are NOT kidding. Over $200 clams just to sign up, and I cried a little when I saw what I did to my new tires!

I gotta get a second job...
And a VERY supportive partner.... LOL!
Old 11-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #31
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
And a VERY supportive partner.... LOL!
Yes, very true! I got lucky there, my wife is very supportive. Funny story....

So, I have been talking about this car non-stop after they first announced it. My wife is not a car person, so she listened patiently, but has had her fill. After I got the car, I told her I signed up for a track event. She shrugged and her eyes glazed over while I told her how cool it would be. It went in one ear and out the other. Well, about a month or so later, my helmet showed up in the mail. She asked what I ordered, and I pulled the helmet out of the box and showed her. Then she was like, "wait, what are you doing with your car again?", with a concerned look in her eyes! "What kind of track, where, when, how fast, are you going to crash your new car, etc..." She sure took an interest when the helmet showed up!!

But, she has always been supportive of my hobbies. She just asks that I support hers. She doesn't want any objects, like jewelry or anything. Her hobby is for me to take her for a romantic weekend to the beach a couple of times a year. We have to lay on the beach and drink beer, take afternoon naps, go out to dinner, have late night wine and... well you know the rest, were married after all. I have a real keeper. 19 years and still going strong!

That's the price I have to pay for having a cool car (that's sarcasm folks)!
Old 11-07-2016, 07:20 PM   #32
DetCam

Drives: 2016 1SS (12/10/2016)
I have almost the exact same story with my wife, supportive, but not a car person. I got the big "Wait WHAT?!!" from her when I was going over the requirements for my first track day. They said they recommend cotton pants, and no nylon material allowed. She asked why, so I very calmly answered "when your car catches on fire nylon pants melt and get stuck in your skin". This caused a moment of pause...
DetCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:41 AM   #33
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
and we could only pass when someone signals you it's okay.
You'll be passing only after being pointed by at least through the intermediate level, and more than likely through 'advanced'. The differences perhaps being that the number of passing zones open to you may loosen up as you advance. Hooked On Driving's Group C (Advanced) actually permits passing in the turns, but still only on a point-by (and still subject to the comfort levels of the drivers involved).

Quote:
Just saying that the car has plenty of go in comparison to others out there. The instructor was very impressed by the car, and told me so several times.
I think a couple of things impress instructors. One is when your car stays composed at speed. The other is your ability to drive smoothly enough to keep it that way.

Quote:
The car has grip for days, very balanced, and the massive torque curve really makes shifting gears on your own very forgiving. I did two sessions in auto mode, and two in manual. I enjoyed the manual mode more, and will probably do it that way in the future. Not sure if either would be faster, because this was my first event and I am just learning.
Manual mode will force you to remain better attuned to what the engine is doing, and should allow for somewhat more control over the effects that the throttle has over cornering attitude (such as by not automatically upshifting and giving away the engine decel control that you might be using at that instant). With more experience, you should be able to crowd the cornering limits a little closer in long sweepers via throttle only.

Norm
Old 11-08-2016, 08:27 AM   #34
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
My wife used to joke that at least AutoX/HPDE/PDX was cheaper than a stripper girlfriend.

She doesn't think that any more.

Nice job getting that thing out there where it belongs. IMHO, too many owners don't.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:41 AM   #35
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
You'll be passing only after being pointed by at least through the intermediate level, and more than likely through 'advanced'. The differences perhaps being that the number of passing zones open to you may loosen up as you advance. Hooked On Driving's Group C (Advanced) actually permits passing in the turns, but still only on a point-by (and still subject to the comfort levels of the drivers involved).

I think a couple of things impress instructors. One is when your car stays composed at speed. The other is your ability to drive smoothly enough to keep it that way.

Manual mode will force you to remain better attuned to what the engine is doing, and should allow for somewhat more control over the effects that the throttle has over cornering attitude (such as by not automatically upshifting and giving away the engine decel control that you might be using at that instant). With more experience, you should be able to crowd the cornering limits a little closer in long sweepers via throttle only.

Norm
Thanks for all the advice Norm!

I'm glad that passing will still need a point by in more advanced groups. I have little interest in winning some race. I mainly want to get out there and explore the limits of this car at a challenging road course. Unbelievably fun! My original point was more about how well the car seemed to hold it's own against many other amazing cars out there. I seemed to be one of the fastest out there, and only had to let one guy pass. I attribute that more to the car than me at this point, since I am a total newbie.

I can see how once you are advanced, shifting on your own will give you much more control. I started in full auto, because I thought I would need to focus more on finding the line, looking for the flags, and trying to apply all the coaching/teaching I received. But once I tried shifting manually, I found it to be pretty intuitive to be in the right gear. It wasn't distracting at all. And again, the broad torque curve was very forgiving, letting me focus on other things. I feel like this car is not just great at setting hot laps, it is also easy to drive and makes me a better driver. I couldn't be happier with this purchase.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #36
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
By the way: how was the skid pad practice?
Old 11-08-2016, 04:43 PM   #37
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
By the way: how was the skid pad practice?
It was fun. You go onto a circular track that they wet with sprinklers. The instructor works the pedals, and you work the steering wheel. It seemed like it would be helpful if you don't have experience going sideways. I'm older and all cars used to be rear wheel drive. We used to go up to a mall parking lot after a snow to learn how to handle a car for practice and also just for fun. So it was easy to me. The thing I didn't like about it was, it made going sideways seem more normal. So when I went on my next session, I felt like I wanted to hit the gas so I could drift though the corner, because I had just been drifting my butt off on the skid pad. It took a couple of laps before the feeling went away. Strange but that's what it did for me.

Other than that, it was quite fun and I'm sure it is instructive to folks who don't have as much experience with sliding around in circles rcles in a rear wheel drive cars
Old 11-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #38
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
It was fun. You go onto a circular track that they wet with sprinklers. The instructor works the pedals, and you work the steering wheel. It seemed like it would be helpful if you don't have experience going sideways. I'm older and all cars used to be rear wheel drive. We used to go up to a mall parking lot after a snow to learn how to handle a car for practice and also just for fun. So it was easy to me. The thing I didn't like about it was, it made going sideways seem more normal. So when I went on my next session, I felt like I wanted to hit the gas so I could drift though the corner, because I had just been drifting my butt off on the skid pad. It took a couple of laps before the feeling went away. Strange but that's what it did for me.

Other than that, it was quite fun and I'm sure it is instructive to folks who don't have as much experience with sliding around in circles rcles in a rear wheel drive cars
Perhaps the idea was to get people aware of what cornering with slip angles of noticeable magnitude feels like? I don't know how to describe it, but there is a different feel that starts to become noticeable somewhere in the tires' transitional range, maybe around half a lateral g on dry pavement. Up there, it's just not the same as when you're driving straight ahead or around very gentle curves at only a couple tenths of a lateral-g. It's a different experience for most people to intentionally drive up past their normal-street-driving-defined comfort zone.

Eventually, you'll probably find it advantageous to invest in a separate set of wheels and tires dedicated to (and perhaps better optimized for) your track time. Definitely something to plan any suspension mods around.

Having an understanding wife - priceless. My wife isn't a 'car person' either, but for us, track days at my 'home track' have become excuses for get-away weekends for the two of us.

Norm
Old 11-09-2016, 07:29 AM   #39
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Perhaps the idea was to get people aware of what cornering with slip angles of noticeable magnitude feels like? I don't know how to describe it, but there is a different feel that starts to become noticeable somewhere in the tires' transitional range, maybe around half a lateral g on dry pavement. Up there, it's just not the same as when you're driving straight ahead or around very gentle curves at only a couple tenths of a lateral-g. It's a different experience for most people to intentionally drive up past their normal-street-driving-defined comfort zone.

Eventually, you'll probably find it advantageous to invest in a separate set of wheels and tires dedicated to (and perhaps better optimized for) your track time. Definitely something to plan any suspension mods around.

Having an understanding wife - priceless. My wife isn't a 'car person' either, but for us, track days at my 'home track' have become excuses for get-away weekends for the two of us.

Norm
Since this is my daily driver, I will be getting winter wheels/tires soon. I doubt I would end up getting yet another set of wheels and tires for track use. Especially since the stock tires get pretty close to 1g of grip. On my last session, I put the g-meter on the dash display, and the few times I glanced down at it in a high g turn, it was really close to 1g. So, I can confirm the .97g grip claim. I have to say, I am very impressed with these new tires. I was skeptical when they said the car would come with run flats, but these things are legit. Also, like you said, once you go with a stickier tire, you have to beef up the suspension as well (or you will break stuff). Right now, I love the suspension too. The car was so settled at the limit. The car is very planted, the transitions are very smooth, no floatiness, and the MRC works beautifully. Part of the reason I got this specific car was it's ability to go from a daily driver to a weekend track toy without having to mod the crap out of it.

Now, if I had a ton of disposable money, I probably would have bought a daily driver and a separate track toy. Then I would be more comfortable modding the car. But my son is about to go to college, and I am still supporting my daughter as well. Maybe five years down the road or so, who knows. But for now, out of the box, I am highly impressed with (and so was my instructor) this car in its stock form. Plus, I can see myself only doing about two or three sessions a year for now. BUT, I must admit, it is VERY addictive.

Your idea of incorporating a track weekend and a getaway weekend sounds very promising as well! I will have to look into that.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2016, 09:08 AM   #40
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:

Norm
So true. No amount of back road "spirited driving" prepares you for pushing a cars true limits at a track.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #41
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
So true. No amount of back road "spirited driving" prepares you for pushing a cars true limits at a track.
My biggest adjustment wasn't driving at the grip limits in a turn or combination of turns. The car was very communicative, balanced, and controllable at the limits of grip. My biggest adjustment was doing over 130 mph in the front straight, then hitting the brakes at the last minute just before the low speed turn (turn 1). The car had more in her than I did. I found myself letting off the gas and hitting the brake waaaaay too early. I really needed to continue to accelerate and hit the brakes at about the 40-50 foot mark (or even shorter). But I was lifting the throttle way early, then hitting the brakes at about the 70-80 ft mark. Only a couple of times was I able to brake at about the 50 foot mark, and I found myself trail braking a bit because I didn't brake hard enough. The car had more, but I ran out of balls going into the turn at such a high speed. It was very intimidating.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #42
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
My biggest adjustment wasn't driving at the grip limits in a turn or combination of turns. The car was very communicative, balanced, and controllable at the limits of grip. My biggest adjustment was doing over 130 mph in the front straight, then hitting the brakes at the last minute just before the low speed turn (turn 1). The car had more in her than I did. I found myself letting off the gas and hitting the brake waaaaay too early. I really needed to continue to accelerate and hit the brakes at about the 40-50 foot mark (or even shorter). But I was lifting the throttle way early, then hitting the brakes at about the 70-80 ft mark. Only a couple of times was I able to brake at about the 50 foot mark, and I found myself trail braking a bit because I didn't brake hard enough. The car had more, but I ran out of balls going into the turn at such a high speed. It was very intimidating.
Many people think the word "grip" only applies to off the line acceleration or cornering G's. Braking is every bit a "grip" exercise as the aforementioned others. Pedal modulation, line, balance and traction are all part of good brake application.