Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #15
DetCam

Drives: 2016 1SS (12/10/2016)
OP: You asked about the note regarding setting the automatic transmission fluid to the “track” level. There is a procedure documented available to the dealers (the good dealers will know where to find it, if they can’t find it, find a new dealer). There is a fairly complicated process to “check” the level. I had it done. They gave me a high level description of the process, it goes something like this: Drive the car to get the Transmission fluid up to a certain temp… put the car on the hoist, with it running get it to another temp, (Certain temps cause different valves to open altering the path the fluid takes, which changes the “level” you would see). They then have to use their diagnostic equipment to toggle certain modes (again, affecting fluid flow), and THEN check the level. It’s not as simple as opening a drain plug and seeing if any fluid drips out.

Did the dealer actually follow all the steps documented??? Beats me. But I have a receipt that says they did, so if there is ever a warranty claim I can prove I followed the manual to the letter of the law.

Rear diff fluid changed after first autocross, and definitely before any track day. (Again, at the dealer). They did not carry the recommended engine oil for track use, so I brought it in from outside… so it’s documented that I did it (and they only charged me $6.00 to put it in, totally worth it). I carried in 3 bottles of Motul 600 and had them flush the brake system. Probably could have got away with 2 bottles, but now I know the system is completely purged.

It’s all documented, and done “right” at least on paper. (I drove past 3 Chevy dealers on the way to the one I actually trusted to do the work).

FYI: A8 transmission is awesome on the track. No heat problems, and it’s plenty smart to prevent it from shifting hard on a turn and upsetting your weight distribution. Select Track mode, put it in drive and leave it alone.
DetCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #16
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetCam View Post
OP: You asked about the note regarding setting the automatic transmission fluid to the “track” level. There is a procedure documented available to the dealers (the good dealers will know where to find it, if they can’t find it, find a new dealer). There is a fairly complicated process to “check” the level. I had it done. They gave me a high level description of the process, it goes something like this: Drive the car to get the Transmission fluid up to a certain temp… put the car on the hoist, with it running get it to another temp, (Certain temps cause different valves to open altering the path the fluid takes, which changes the “level” you would see). They then have to use their diagnostic equipment to toggle certain modes (again, affecting fluid flow), and THEN check the level. It’s not as simple as opening a drain plug and seeing if any fluid drips out.

Did the dealer actually follow all the steps documented??? Beats me. But I have a receipt that says they did, so if there is ever a warranty claim I can prove I followed the manual to the letter of the law.

Rear diff fluid changed after first autocross, and definitely before any track day. (Again, at the dealer). They did not carry the recommended engine oil for track use, so I brought it in from outside… so it’s documented that I did it (and they only charged me $6.00 to put it in, totally worth it). I carried in 3 bottles of Motul 600 and had them flush the brake system. Probably could have got away with 2 bottles, but now I know the system is completely purged.

It’s all documented, and done “right” at least on paper. (I drove past 3 Chevy dealers on the way to the one I actually trusted to do the work).

FYI: A8 transmission is awesome on the track. No heat problems, and it’s plenty smart to prevent it from shifting hard on a turn and upsetting your weight distribution. Select Track mode, put it in drive and leave it alone.
Thanks for the explanation of the transmission fluid level set. The dealer closest to me has always had a great service department. I am sure they will find the procedure, I just wasn't sure if there was one yet. The service manager hadn't heard of this, but I am sure I am the first to ask for it. Hopefully it won't take too long, as I will probably wait at the dealer while it's being done.

Can't wait for the track event! I wan't to open this thing up without going to jail or putting others at risk!
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #17
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post

"Automatic Transmission Fluid
Have the transmission fluid set to
the track specific oil level prior to
track usage. Transmission fluid
should be changed after 30 hours of
track usage. Any transmission level
set or change should be performed
at your dealer."
For what it's worth: This quote is not on the 2016 Owner's manual (only 2017). GM added this part to the 2017 Camaro + Cadillac ATS-V owners manual. The funny thing is that the 2017 Corvette owner manual was not updated and the Corvette A8 is known to overheat on the track...
Up to you.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #18
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Prior to your 1st track day, there are much more important things than fiddling with your trans fluid level.

*A helmet that fits and meets the organizers SA requirements
*Water and protein bars. Not soda and junk food. Good nourishment and hydration is vital to keeping your brain working. Alcohol the night before is not your smartest decision.
*torque wrench, check your brake hardware and wheel lug torque
*now worry about car fluids; oil, coolant. Bring extras of both.
*A chair, sunblock, glass cleaner and towels.
*A willingness to put your ego aside and be receptive to advice from instructors. There's no winning, only losing.
*Have fun!
Old 11-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #19
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Prior to your 1st track day, there are much more important things than fiddling with your trans fluid level.

*Water and protein bars. Not soda and junk food. Good nourishment and hydration is vital to keeping your brain working. Alcohol the night before is not your smartest decision.
*A willingness to put your ego aside and be receptive to advice from instructors. There's no winning, only losing.
*Have fun!

And I will add leave ASM on until you're getting everything out of the car and getting into it every lap, then tread lightly there after, especially if the track/wall ratio is tight, the car will drive completely different. On a first track day though, I wouldn't expect to progress enough to get that comfortable.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #20
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
For what it's worth: This quote is not on the 2016 Owner's manual (only 2017). GM added this part to the 2017 Camaro + Cadillac ATS-V owners manual. The funny thing is that the 2017 Corvette owner manual was not updated and the Corvette A8 is known to overheat on the track...
Up to you.
Thanks for the info, but my car is a 2016, and it came with the updated user manual (Second Printing). But it was one of the last 2016's built. I'm not going to sweat it if the dealer can't figure it out. I'm not trying to win Le Mans or anything. Just want to drive fast without going to jail, for the sake of fun.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #21
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post

*Have fun!
Thanks! This is great advice! I was wondering about what to bring, and even what to wear. I have the correct helmet, and and planning on bringing some tools and such. I just converted over to Dot4, and I used a torque wrench on the wheels. I normally don't do that, but since I am going to the track, I figured it would help. I will bring my torque wrenches as well.

How much tire air pressure are you guys running front/back?

Also, is there a torque setting for the brake fluid drain valve? I just tightened it up as much as I thought it was originally. I didn't use a torque wrench to set it. I will be removing the rotors to put on the shorter splash guard anyway, I can torque them up to the correct level then.

Last edited by whiteboyblues2001; 11-04-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #22
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
Quote:
This is great advice! I was wondering about what to bring, and even what to wear. I have the correct helmet, and and planning on bringing some tools and such. I just converted over to Dot4, and I used a torque wrench on the wheels. I normally don't do that, but since I am going to the track, I figured it would help. I will bring my torque wrenches as well.

How much tire air pressure are you guys running front/back?
I started with 29 in all four and was working in the 34-35 range when hot, seemed to work well., I made zero adjustments over 2 days, so I have no comparable data.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #23
DetCam

Drives: 2016 1SS (12/10/2016)
Tire pressures go WAY up, even on cooler days in the rain. Mine would go up 7-10 psi after only a few laps. Start low and slow. Don't go nuts the first lap or two, let everything heat up/expand... not to mention grip goes up as the rubber get hotter (until it doesn't). If you get up to or over 38psi (on the stock F1's) you'll start to lose traction, go let some air out. (Earlier recommendation of starting at 29 sounds about right). And don't let those guys with the $500 air gauges tell you you need to be accurate down to the 10th of a degree, it's going to change as soon as the wheel goes around. Use the Stock TPMS as a reference, it'll give you a pretty good idea where you are at.

Don't torque your lugs between sessions. Check everything the night before, then check everything again before your first session at the track. DO NOT torque when hot (after session). The bolt/threads will be soft when hot. If you torque a hot lug, you will be way over or it will just snap the lug right off, or so I've been told. (I went to do this on my first track day, and the guys around me stopped me, you'd have thought I was going to go stick a baby in an alligator pit or something).
DetCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #24
whiteboyblues2001

Thanks for the advice on the tire pressure everyone! I would not have known to start a bit low. but it makes perfect sense.

I dropped the car off at the dealership, and they looked up the procedure and found it. DetCam's explanation is the same as what I saw in the procedure. They weren't sure how long it would take since they have to wait for the temps to get just right, and this is the first time they are doing it. Glad I am having it done.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:19 PM   #25
Hooves

Drives: 2016 1SS Mosaic Black MRC NPP A8
When I was running the stock wheel/tire setup I just started my PSI at ~35 because they were nitrogen filled and didn't over pressure with the heat (i don't think I ever saw them above 38).

Now that I'm running an aftermarket setup with regular air, I'll start the days at 32 PSI and they'll heat right up to 38!

Bottom line: if you're running the stock setup with nitrogen, I wouldn't start way down at 29 PSI.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #26
whiteboyblues2001

Back from the dealership, and now I have a receipt that says the dealer set the transmission fluid to the "track specific oil level". Just like the manual says.

Just have to put the track duct work on tomorrow (Saturday). Then track day is Sunday!
Old 11-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #27
whiteboyblues2001

So... I'm back from the track event yesterday, and it was A BLAST!!!! I highly recommend going to anyone interested. It was an amazing experience, and I will do it again in the spring for sure.

Big thanks to all those who gave me advice and tips!! Couldn't have done it without you guys!

By the way, the car performed flawlessly. It was about 65 degrees out, and none of the cars temperatures got anywhere near redline. I was able to drive very fast, and pass a ton of fast cars (Corvettes, 911's, etc.), and I only got passed once (a 911). Take that with a grain of salt because I was in a group of beginners/novices, and we could only pass when someone signals you it's okay. Just saying that the car has plenty of go in comparison to others out there. The instructor was very impressed by the car, and told me so several times. The car has grip for days, very balanced, and the massive torque curve really makes shifting gears on your own very forgiving. I did two sessions in auto mode, and two in manual. I enjoyed the manual mode more, and will probably do it that way in the future. Not sure if either would be faster, because this was my first event and I am just learning.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #28
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
So... I'm back from the track event yesterday, and it was A BLAST!!!! I highly recommend going to anyone interested. It was an amazing experience, and I will do it again in the spring for sure.

Big thanks to all those who gave me advice and tips!! Couldn't have done it without you guys!

By the way, the car performed flawlessly. It was about 65 degrees out, and none of the cars temperatures got anywhere near redline. I was able to drive very fast, and pass a ton of fast cars (Corvettes, 911's, etc.), and I only got passed once (a 911). Take that with a grain of salt because I was in a group of beginners/novices, and we could only pass when someone signals you it's okay. Just saying that the car has plenty of go in comparison to others out there. The instructor was very impressed by the car, and told me so several times. The car has grip for days, very balanced, and the massive torque curve really makes shifting gears on your own very forgiving. I did two sessions in auto mode, and two in manual. I enjoyed the manual mode more, and will probably do it that way in the future. Not sure if either would be faster, because this was my first event and I am just learning.
Welcome to the club
Warning: this is a very expensive addiciotn