The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-07-2021, 09:12 PM   #1
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Camaro - Mustang fit/finish

I was at a Ford dealer today and had the opportunity to inspect a bunch of stangs side by side. These were 80+k GT 500’s with 12K mark up.

I know I’ve had some negative commentary about the Camaro’s fit and finish, but wowza, I was really surprised at how fords flagship sports car was slapped together. The paint was definitely thicker than GM’s, but overspray “lips” at the edges of seams and very obvious orange peal was really difficult to look at. As far as panel gaps, pretty bad on some cars and not so great on others. If you looked close, a lot of the tacked on exterior goodies we’re poorly designed. From a distance of 10’ no problem, but close up, I just couldn’t understand the lack of effort to tidy things up. and never mind that ridiculous tranny dial. Cheap to to the max.

So with all that said… I take back some of my criticism of GM’s fit and finish.

Last edited by Chutzpah; 10-07-2021 at 10:22 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:17 PM   #2
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I was at a Ford dealer today and had the opportunity to inspect a bunch of stangs side by side. These were 80+k GT 500’s with 12K mark up.

I know I’ve had some negative commentary about the Camaro’s fit and finish, but wowza, I was really surprised at how fords flagship sports car was slapped together. The paint was definitely thicker than GM’s, but overspray “lips” at the edges of seams and very obvious orange peal was really difficult to look at. As far as panel gaps, pretty bad on some cars and not so great on others. If you looked close, a lot of the tacked on exterior goodies we’re poorly designed. From a distance of 10’ no problem, but close up, I just couldn’t understand the lack of effort to tidy things up. and never mind that ridiculous tranny dial. Cheap to to the max.

The focus is on performance with these cars. You realize to get that performance from a foreign car you will be in the 6 figures.
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilly Welson View Post
The focus is on performance with these cars. You realize to get that performance from a foreign car you will be in the 6 figures.
Nah, that’s a convenient excuse people throw out there … they can do it.

They just understand their audience… and that audience (for the most part) wants performance more than perfection. If a 50k truck can look perfect, so can a 80k car. I guess my point is you shouldn’t have to pay 100k + for something to look like it’s quality. In this case, Chevy wins hands down.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:54 PM   #4
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Notice ALL this stuff with my 2012 GT. Paint was crap, interior rough and unfinished, cheap.

I actually thought the interior and quality was better on my 2006 GT.

The 1999 GT I had was just total trash.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:14 PM   #5
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
The mustang is put together the same as all other Ford junk
Thrown together.
Whole car has a cheap feel to it.
Not one single thing is anyone good on these things except the 6 piston Brembo brakes
Everything else is trash.
I don’t even recognize this junk as a car anymore. All I see is throw away garbage
Old 10-07-2021, 11:27 PM   #6
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Is it better, or is that just perception?
Attached Images

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:29 PM   #7
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
But I saw this too, one day a SS pulled up and parked next to my 1LE. His hood was all screwed up. It all looked stock, but it definitely didn't line up well.
Attached Images

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:30 PM   #8
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
I will go Camaro appears better put together, but I will never let go of the 19+ front nose that is painted in 5 different places and none of them match. I can spot it a mile away on everyone I've seen in person. They're all that way, but it annoys the piss out of me. Bumper cover piece doesn't fit to hot either on the 20+ as well.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:33 AM   #9
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM View Post
I will go Camaro appears better put together, but I will never let go of the 19+ front nose that is painted in 5 different places and none of them match. I can spot it a mile away on everyone I've seen in person. They're all that way, but it annoys the piss out of me. Bumper cover piece doesn't fit to hot either on the 20+ as well.

Not one complaint regarding my 17 SS fit and finish or dependability and performance. Approaching 50k miles, other than swirls in my black paint from a wash brush it still looks and feels new.

Last edited by Nilly Welson; 10-08-2021 at 12:34 AM. Reason: oo
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:57 AM   #10
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
But I saw this too, one day a SS pulled up and parked next to my 1LE. His hood was all screwed up. It all looked stock, but it definitely didn't line up well.
Looks like he or she had a little mishap and the body shop didn't spend enough time (re)adjusting the hinges. Don't ask me where I've seen that before The good news is that this is very easy to fix, the hood is completely adjustable on our cars, the service manual comes with full instructions.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:33 AM   #11
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
That blue car was wrecked.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:22 AM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Why? Just because it's "less crappy" than another manufacturer doesn't mean it isn't still crappy.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:03 AM   #13
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Why? Just because it's "less crappy" than another manufacturer doesn't mean it isn't still crappy.
Oh, definitely don’t disagree with you on that … but what I saw on these newer Stangs was a real eye opener. That was more the point, GM was at least 50% less bad than Ford, for sure.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:13 AM   #14
s2mikey

Drives: Buick, Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilly Welson View Post
The idea of even paying that much for a Mustang is downright insane as it is. $80K+ for a Mustang? I know, its got eleventy-billion horsepower. But still. If I spend $80K on a car its going to have a prancing horse or a bull on it somewhere.

As for Ford Chevy/ fit & finish? Neither will make you forget Lexus but they are about average for their price range and lineage. Mostly.
s2mikey is offline   Reply With Quote