The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #15
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post
Boring, dull, uninspiring. BMW cars are watered down and approaching Tesla levels of appliances.
Agreed 100%. Would never even consider buying a BMW or Tesla unless all I wanted was an appliance.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #16
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
Would never ever buy any over engineered german crap. seen oh so many folk get burned over the years buying into this junk.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #17
Seniorrs

Drives: 21 Camaro RS manual v6.Tyota Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Nebraska seems like a fine place to enjoy an SS Camaro, as it appears the sun is setting on the gas-fueled American muscle car era. BMW's five years from now won't be much different from today, even if they are electric.
Bump
Seniorrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:21 AM   #18
Seniorrs

Drives: 21 Camaro RS manual v6.Tyota Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro fanboy View Post
Would never ever buy any over engineered german crap. seen oh so many folk get burned over the years buying into this junk.
Agree
Seniorrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:29 AM   #19
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I’m not sure why, but I too am attracted to the m240i. I think it looks awesome and it’s pretty quick in a straight line. Probably a drivers race versus an ss. That being said it’s handling will be way worse as it runs no where near the track times an ss or ss 1le will run. I think what attracts me to it is it’s smaller size and also the fact that I’m getting a bit older so I am starting to appreciate more refined cars.

That being said I am a performance enthusiast first and foremost and have a hard time paying more money for a car that does not perform the same even if the car has nicer leather or smaller panel gaps.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:41 AM   #20
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
One of the tracks I go to actually used M240i as their track cars, which they use for HPDE. Those can handle well, though as others said, it wouldn't match the Camaro SS.

I personally wouldn't buy a BMW. Lease them. Generally, you don't want to have one on hand once the warranty goes. They just aren't special anymore to justify dealing with their crap. IMO something like E9x M3 could be worth the hassle with the S65 engine, but the newer stuff just lost their charm, especially considering how far the American competition has come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro fanboy View Post
IMO Porsche is worth it, but the others are pretty much meh, given how well the Camaro performs.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:05 PM   #21
Staves

Drives: women crazy
My Dad has a M235i. Driven it many times. It’s quick and in manual mode/sport or sport + the ZF transmission is amazing quick shifting.

It’s a nice car but it does feel much more pedestrian and bland compared to the Camaro. Goes about it’s business in a more hushed and quiet way. I could see it being a bit dull compared to the Camaro. Engine is barely audible. My Dad has since passed and now my nearly 80yr old Mom drives it. She likes it for the smallish size and says it’s zippy. The M240i with 382hp should be quite the rocket.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #22
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fak_Ork View Post
The newly released M240i is a rear drive based coupe with a 382 HP turbo V6 that always seems to punch well above it's weight- the M340i with the same engine is virtually a match for 0-60 and 1/4 mile acceleration times of the Camaro SS.

Two door, grown a bit larger with time but projected to slot in at about the same weight as the SS.

So:

Attitude

2 doors

Gas motor (and by all accounts a lusty, blown howler that rips) yet designed brand new for this weird transitory world

+ 2" of height, might be too comfortable and usable but can we adapt?

Priced in the realm of the 2SS Camaro (48500k base price for the M240i XDrive, eventually the RWD only version should be released)

No MT- I get this one. If that's your deal, better get your order in for a 22 SS or LT1 or start trolling Autotrader

I post this as a serious shopper of both of these cars, Camaro 1SS or the Bmw M240i. The Camaro warranty is 1 year longer but goes out of bumper to bumper 1 year earlier. I've read that these cars if maintained diligently can give reliable service, but repairs won't be cheap.

Anyone else cross shop these automotive birds of a feather?
I owned a red 2007 3 series N54 TT sport manual 4 door. It was a blast to drive especially after I added a turbo altitude fooler which added about 25 RWHP without a tune. One of my favorite cars ever.

To me my m6 LT1 is equally fun to drive. To me I also see the LT1 as a two door 3 series with a stonkin Chevy smallblock. I plan to keep it as long as I can still drive it.

I think you already know what you want to do so do whatever floats your boat. Have fun and report back to us how you like the beemer. If you have the $$ to burn to have fun.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #23
IceGoaliePaul

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT
BMWs just look so plain and boring. I guess they're great if you want to go commute to your cubicle at your awful day job though.
IceGoaliePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:48 PM   #24
pzoom

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE SHOCK
I loved the dealership when I owned my BMW, but it was under manufacturer's warranty the whole time.

Once it ran out, I was really hesitant to push the car aka FUN. Seems like every other week someone was complaining about timing chains, injectors, VANOS, etc. so I was afraid of breaking something.

With used car prices up, I sold it without much of a loss. I think my BMW fit and finish was better than my 1LE.

Car was fun, but keep in mind that the exhaust sound is fake through the stereo (if that is important to you). My 1LE sounds like a bomb going off when I push start I never get tired of the pops and crackles.

I've had my 1LE for 6 months without one regret of buying it. My BMW, I began regretting it after a couple months.
pzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:49 PM   #25
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I think you already know what you want to do... Have fun and report back to us how you like the beemer.
Yep. I got the same impression.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:05 PM   #26
Fak_Ork

Drives: Silverado RST 21, 3.0, Crew, Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhucaller View Post
Would you consider chocolate milk as a whiskey alternative? I think you might.
I think your sense of proportionality is broken to the point that your comment can be considered useless.
Fak_Ork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:11 PM   #27
Fak_Ork

Drives: Silverado RST 21, 3.0, Crew, Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Are you going to take the cars to the track? I don't mean the drag strip. I mean an actual track. Chevy apparently offers a track warranty for the SS models.

Are you ever going to transport more than one other passenger? Get the BMW. It won't be comfortable for someone in the back seat, but the Camaro's backseat is hot garbage.

Do you value the dealership experience? The BMW should be much better.

Make sure you verify what features a base M240i comes with. The German companies are notorious for up charging on a lot of stuff. You may have to pay an up charge or subscription for Apple Car Play, whereas its already included in the Camaro.
Not going to track the car

Never plan on more than 1 passenger.

My main dealership concern is that they are capable of doing oil changes with these two factors in mind:
1. Right grade
2. Right quantity
So far it's been rough at one local GM dealer. The local BMW dealership is owned by the same group so I sort of expect that these 2 thorny issues will continue to be a problem for techs.

Good point on the subscription services but I just want my cars touchscreen interface to take calls over bluetooth, access my ipod and show the time and temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Why a 1SS, why not a 2SS? It should match more favorably to a BMW, feature wise...
Agreed, I think I mentioned in in the OP, the 2SS package still undercuts the M240i by a few thousand I believe but is a good comparison.

Last edited by Fak_Ork; 09-22-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Fak_Ork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:14 PM   #28
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I say go for it, I am planning on selling my 16 SS and buying either a 21+ M4 or 20+ M8.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote